“Oldest public library in Ireland,a step back in time”
Review of Marsh's Library

Marsh's Library
Ranked #35 of 506 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Dublin's most beautiful tourist attractions. An unspoiled gem right in the heart of the city. Established in 1707, Marsh's Library is a wonderfully preserved library of the early Enlightenment complete with its original oak bookcases. Visitors often comment on the wonderful smell of the old bookcases and books.The library contains over 25,000 rare and interesting books relating to the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, covering medicine, law, science, travel, navigation, mathematics, music, and classical literature. There is also some material of a very scurrilous nature. Every year an exhibition of rare and curious items is presented from the holdings of the Library. The current exhibition is '1916: Tales from the Other Side', exploring minority experiences of 1916 and the years that followed.
Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Oldest public library in Ireland,a step back in time”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Libraries and bookshops are my absolute joys so it's no surprise that I rate it highly.

During the Open House Dublin, this was the place I set my eyes on visiting and I was very happy with our experience
We arrived at 4pm and was told the guided tour was full but we could visit anyway We loved our leisurely pace in seeing thousands of books from 16th-18th century in original bookshelves and seating including the wire alcoves ,there was also a short video on bookbinding , as We were leaving I did mention to the wonderful staff if there's another tour and he said we could join the next one as there are only few people there. We were so delighted to be accommodated and have someone guide us through the library and the garden which was a plus, It was mentioned by the guide that it's a privilege to visit the garden as part of this year's Open House Dublin event.

One minor disappointment photography is not allowed.
I highly recommend a visit.

Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A Place for Book lovers”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Marsh's Library is wonderful. It remains intact from the 18th century, with all the fusty smells and atmosphere that you would expect. Its holdings are amazing, and the temporary exhibits are outstanding. They run a video on bookbinding, and for academics, in particular, this is a library not to miss!

Atlanta, GA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“What a hidden little gem!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stumbled upon this little tucked away gem while waiting for the hop-on-hop-bus and WOW am I glad I did. If you love library's and books, you can't miss this! The books are old and original, the staff were very nice and helpful. I even had a nice chat with a gentleman that told me a story about the book cage. If you are visiting St. Patrick's, walk just around the corner to step back in time. You can even test your skill at quill writing and make your own bookmark!

Geneva, Switzerland
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“A visit out of the time and into universal culture”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I love visiting libraries, this is home to me, but this particular one is quite special because, due to its Anglican origins, it was never restored so remains at it was 300 years ago, when the Bishop Marsh, a man interested in the common values of all religions, started his library, further enriched by a Huguenot's collection. This library is a pure jewel both as regards to its contents (pristine books who will outlast our 19th and 20th century books full of chemicals) and its architecture and design.

Dublin, Ireland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“quiet piece of Dublin”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Great for a quiet hour in the city. Cheap entry and nice to look around, as well as that the guides were most kindly.

Visited November 2012