“Who wants to see the mummies?”

St. Michan's Church
Dublin Gravedigger Ghost Tour
Ranked #32 of 530 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Underneath the church are five long burial vaults containing the mummified remains of many of Dublin's most influential 17th, 18th and 19th century families, including the legendary Shears brothers and the highly decorated coffins of the Earl's of Leitrim. Since Victorian times visitors have descended the vault steps to see the mummies and Bram Stoker, creator of the "Dracula" stories is believed to have visited the vaults in the company of his family. In one vault can be seen the remains of the "Crusader" though in fact he is only 650 years dead. The early visitors to the vaults were responsible for many of the myths and legends surrounding the bodies, though modern scientific investigations have cast doubts on many of these stories. Nevertheless, a visit to the Crypts to see the historic mummies is a remarkable experience.
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Who wants to see the mummies?”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I can't recall the tour guide's name, and I don't know if he was putting on a show or is actually just this way, but he makes the perfect guide for this sort of thing. The church itself isn't anything of extravagance, but the crypts are really interesting and fun to climb down into. Learn some interesting history, see tons of coffins stacked atop and crushing one another, and rub the mummy crusader's finger for luck and be on your way! Inexpensive and interesting little stop.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Brianna K

• Finnish first
Portland, Maine
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Our guide was great. We loved this experience.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The guide we had was a real character. The church is from a time in history that I find absolutely fascinating. Dublin is full of this history, and I look forward to seeking it out each time I visit. The crypts below the church contain the desiccated bodies of some storied individuals, including what is believed to be a crusader. For luck one strokes his finger. I cannot vouch for the luck at this moment. This is a great little tour to take, and the history of the church is captivating.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank NewMexicoScraps
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“I see leathery people ...”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is THE place to go when you visit Dublin.

Where else would you get the opportunity to climb down some seriously steep steps into a hole in the ground and gawp at dead bodies... for 4Euro?
And, as many others have mentioned, you get to Touch The Crusader's Finger for luck. Well let me tell you, when I brought my aunt there because we were going to the Curragh at the weekend, both of us touched the Finger. And we won at the races!
Now if that isn't value for money I don't know what is.

The other thing I particularly liked was the 200 year old bouquet of flowers in the shape of a harp at the Sheares boys tomb ... 200 years old - I can't make my flowers last for two weeks in a vase!!

It's very cool and dry down in the vaults, and quite a nice atmosphere if you ignore your neigbours in the coffins.

This place is so far removed from the usual sanitised tourist venues you won't believe it even exists till you've seen it. It's not for the squeamish or claustrophobic but for those of you with a touch of the Indiana Joneses about you, you'll love it.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Essiebee
Hurstbridge, Australia
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Very interesting tour”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I did this on my previous trip, but thought I better mention this one now (just came back April 2014). Interesting church in itself, but its once on the tour to the crypt is where the fun begins. My tour guide was entertaining and gave a great commentary. Of course, the attraction is getting up close to the mummies - particularity 'greeting' the mummy of the knight. Be warned - if you do the tour EVERYONE must greet the knight. This means you will be touching the mummified body so if you are skirmish I suggest you don't do the tour, otherwise - enjoy.

Visited June 2013
Lake Elsinore, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent tour guide”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

The ladies in the gift shop were wonderful and funny! We enjoyed talking with them. Then we walked around in the church and looked at the old artifacts. The tour guide came in and took us to the crypts. He was the perfect tour guide, had a great creepy way of telling the stories. It was our sons favorite in Dublin. Well worth it!

Visited April 2014