“Closed on a bank holiday”

St. Michan's Church
Dublin Gravedigger Ghost Tour
Ranked #26 of 556 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Underneath the church are five long burial vaults containing the mummified remains of many of Dublin's most influential 17th, 18th and 19th century families, including the legendary Shears brothers and the highly decorated coffins of the Earl's of Leitrim. Since Victorian times visitors have descended the vault steps to see the mummies and Bram Stoker, creator of the "Dracula" stories is believed to have visited the vaults in the company of his family. In one vault can be seen the remains of the "Crusader" though in fact he is only 650 years dead. The early visitors to the vaults were responsible for many of the myths and legends surrounding the bodies, though modern scientific investigations have cast doubts on many of these stories. Nevertheless, a visit to the Crypts to see the historic mummies is a remarkable experience.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I can't understand why in the middle of the summer on a busy bank holiday this place is closed. The tour guide on the hop on hop off bus didn't tell us in advance and we had to go find it to find out.

Lovely garden area around the back.

2  Thank Nuala T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We did love this tour - the tour guide is eccentric and informative. There are actual mummies that you learn about and even 'shake hands' with one. A little history about some of the early attempts at Irish independence is included - as it relates to some of the crypt inhabitants.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Was on the viking splash & our tour guide told us about St Michan's, never heard of it before & I live in Dublin. So my daughter & I went to have a look. We were not dissapointed. We walked around the church first & then our tour guide came & got us. We went down under the church to the vaults OMG it was scary. There was a narrow corridor with about 4 small arch way room's on each side. In these little rooms is all the coffins hundreds of years old. Stacked on top of each other.Then we were brought to the next vaults, this is where the mummy's are, absolutely amazing & a lot of history about these bodies. Well worth taking the time to have a look you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank rachel09dooley
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I loved this place! It was suggested to me by a tour guide and I'm so glad I went! There's not many places you can explore the crypts and see the mummified bodies. Definitely worth looking in to.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I aren't especially into religious history nor churches in general, but we were intrigued by the description of the crypt tour on offer.

The tour guide brought the whole atmosphere of the crypts and their history to life, and the condition of the mummies was spectacular.

A captivating little place, and a great value tour. Worth seeking out for anyone with even a slight historical interest (or with kids who like a bit of - gentle - spookiness!)