The Book of Kells and the Old Library Exhibition
Ranked #16 of 551 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Book of Kells is a world famous illuminated manuscript written in Latin of the Gospels from the Bible. It was painstakingly hand-written and illustrated by monks around 800 A.D.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Heard so much about this book, so needed to see it whilst in Dublin. Went at the right time 3.45pm
No queues, so a very pleasant visit, time to take in the information. The book much smaller than I
expected, but well worth the visit,Beautifully illustrated. The old library was also interesting a flash from the past. With the usual souvenir shop at the end of the visit.

2  Thank Len R
Write a ReviewReviews (15,378)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The library is beautiful and well kept. The Kells exhibits were well done and informative and we especially enjoyed seeing examples of the originals.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I did imagine to see something very nice but this library was more than what I was expecting. Truly impressive.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife had spoken at trinity last year and wanted to show me where she had been, also agreed to meet up with some friends here.it was at this point I thought it was quite busy and there must be quite a few school trips going on -then it hit me , they were the students and that made me an old man loitering in the playground so to speak-should that be allowed? Very impressive campus and smack bang in a city centre, student heaven I thought.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to see the Book of Kells as a last stop before catching a train. We had our GPS and the address of Trinity College, and we knew we had to be ON TOP of the place, but it still took us 45 minutes of walking around in the pouring rain to find the entrance. The main entrance was under construction, and had a high, wire fence encasing it. The only sign indicating that this was, indeed, the entrance to Trinity Campus, was BEHIND the fence, and obscured by tarps and construction signage. Once we found that, at least we knew we were at the right place. The hidden sign directed us to the "Nassau Street Entrance. Huh. Where do you suppose Nassau Street is? It was quite a hike away and not visible from that location. Once inside the Trinity campus, the signage was equally vague, dropping us at a large open square, bounded on all sides by numerous buildings, with no further signs telling us which in which building the book resides. We lost an hour and 15 minutes getting from the original (closed) entrance to the Old Library, which left very little time to view the book. Overall, very frustrating, and a waste of precious time in Dublin.