“Alright, i guess.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 105 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Calgary, Canada
“Alright, i guess.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

This hostel was a bit too modern for my taste. When i walked in i felt like i was in some sort of cheap club with all the colorful light and awful music playing. The staff was ok but nothing fancy about them. The room itself was alright. I was in a 6 bed dorm with very unfriendly peoples so it didn't make it better. The beds were great. With each a little light and plug socket, its was well made. The bathroom was not the greatest. It was smelly not very clean.
The location is good tho, close to the tram and a short 5 min walk to the airport bus stop.
I would recommend it if you want to meet young peoples but for sure ill never go there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Guillaume084
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking time to complete a review on your recent stay at Generator Hostel Dublin, I am sorry the Hostel was not to your liking, I would however not agree that we are like a “Cheap Club” the Hostel has been very well received by our guests.

I will off course pass on your comments to the Housekeeping team and will ensure we pay more attention to the cleaning of our rooms.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Tom Devaney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Generator is a brand new addition to the Dublin hostel scene, so new that it still smells freshly painted. The hostel is a huge complex spanning several floors with a wide range of accommodation options, with each bed coming equipped with a light, a mains socket and a locker. The showers are clean, the bedding is clean and generous and the beds are comfortable. There is also a massive cafe/hangout area - which is secured by the use of a key card system only allowing guests in to the premises - and free Wi-Fi with good coverage across the building.

Clearly Generator, by starting out large, have been able to achieve some significant economies of scale and have, so doing, created a decent hostel. The only slight downside is the not-so-central location - it is built in an area that, according to old Lonely Planets, was heading for some major redevelopment but was clearly hit by the credit crunch with some developments unfinished and units unfilled - but Dublin is so small that everything is a 20 minute walk, or 5 minute tram ride.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank saesneg
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review on your stay at Generator Hostel Dublin I am really glad you enjoyed your stay.

Cheshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We arrived at the Generator and the staff were so friendly. My friend and i booked a twin room which had an ensuite bathroom. We were provided wtih towels and there was shower and haid gel in the shower. The room was very basic, with two beds, a mirror, a table, a light above each bed and sockets in the room, the window had blinds and black out curtains. Everything was clean, breakfast, if you wanted it was cheap, the entrance was secure and safe. What more could you want? Temple bar was a 10 - 15 minute walk walking alongside the River Liffy. I would go again, loved it!

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Medcy
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 31 December 2011

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

THIS PLACE IS LIKE A HOTEL !! The only 'hostel' thing about this place is that I had to share a room with a couple of strangers and there is no TV. So amazing!

When I first walked into the lobby, I thought I walked into a club/posh hotel. It is so nicely decorated. There is a bar, hang out area where people were playing pool, X-Factor was on the big TV screen so a few people were watching that, and then there is a reading area - not exactly quiet because it was an open space - but computers were there, and they had a book shelf filled with books you could pick up and read for a bit if you wanted some down time.

My bed was hotel-quality: mattress was plush, pillow was plush, duvet was plush, best sleep I've had in a hostel ever (and this is my fourth). There is a head light near your bed so you can use that instead of turning on the big light and disturb other sleepers (love these!) There are bins under the beds where you can lock your stuff in (love!). You only share a bathroom with those in your room. In my case, there was 5 of us.

Breakfast had to be bought - 3 euros. Was hoping for a free breakfast but it was all you can eat, and it was a decent variety. I had stayed at a different hostel the night before and their breakfast kind of sucked (toast and corn flakes) so this was an upgrade (cereal, crossaints, toast, rolls, meat, cheese, fruits) I just made a sandwhich for later.

They had a luggage room that you got to access by getting a key card from reception. At first I was a bit concerned about leaving my stuff, but it was still there when I got back so it turned out well in the end.

Downside - you have to pay for internet on the computers. I think you got limited free wifi though. I wish they had maybe one or two 'free' computers. But oh well!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank abroadinUK
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 21 December 2011

Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

We have just returned from a weekend in Dublin staying at the Generator Hostel. If you are on a budget this is a fab place to stay as its really good value (this is the only thing in Dublin I can say that about!). It's a hostel so as you would expect the rooms are basic. You get a comfortable bed, crisp clean bedding, a clean bathroom and a mirror - oh yes and a table and stool - that's it but if you’re not planning on spending too much time in your room it's more than adequate.

The lounge areas are well thought out and a really nice "space" to be in. A bar + pool table on one level and more seating on a lower level. Also this is where you will have your continental breakfast which is open until 11.00am.

The thing that makes this place is the staff who are great and really helpful. You get provided with a map on arrival and use it - Dublin is soooo easy to walk around and navigate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pleasecanigonow

Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I think I am getting too spoiled to stay at hostels, especially since I am a very light sleeper. That said, if I was going to stay in a hostel in Dublin, I would stay here.

The whole hostel is supper new and cool. I especially like liquor bottles made into chandeliers in the bar. It is a bit maze like, and it took me a while to figure out where the bathrooms were. Every thing was very clean, and the beds were fairly comfy. I could barely believe that it was just over 10 euros a night. I paid more for places which were much grungier. I think there was a party going on downstairs when I went to bed, but the other occupants of the dorm style room were snoring/breathing more loudly than the music that filtered up to our floor. That's a comment on the music being pretty quiet not the snoring. They also had luggage storage, wifi downstairs in the lobby/lounge, and computers. The staff were very helpful.

As far as location goes, it is right next to a Luas light rail stop and the Jameson Distillery. It was about a 20 minute walk from the Temple Bar/Trinity area for a Boston walker. Safety wise: I am not sure I would have been entirely comfortable walking around the immediate area at night, by myself, as a young woman. However, it felt much safer than other areas further east and north of the River, and I tend to be very cautious in all cities I don't know well. I was traveling with my boyfriend, and felt perfectly safe walking around with him.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Niall M
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay at Generator Hostel Dublin I am really glad you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again for taking the time and hopefully we can welcome you back in the very near future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I must admit I panicked a bit before we got to the hotel - the trip was a surprise for my sisters 40th birthday. I bought the stay through Groupon and, if I'd paid more attention to the fact it was a hostel, I probably wouldn't have gone ahead. So, I fessed up to my sister on the plane and we had a good laugh about it being a very ironic thing to do on a 40th birthday - stay at a youth hostel. Anyway, I shouldn't have been worried, the place was more like a hotel, the staff amazingly helpful, the bar and facilities were great and the room was lovely. We stayed in a twin ensuite room - it was stylish looking with laminate flooring, white bedding and wooden blinds. The only thing missing from a 'normal' hotel was tea & coffee making facilities and a TV in the room. However, as we were there to sightsee and enjoy the local Irish pubs this wasn't a problem. The location of the hostel was superb as far as we were concerned - it's a nice stroll away from Temple Bar (took us about 20 mins), it has a Luas line very close by, St James' Distillery right next door and a few other restaurants & a brilliant supermarket close by. We asked for a taxi one evening and met Brian who drove us to our restaurant - Brian was an excellent guide, giving us huge hugs when we met, and provided plenty of hints & tips on what to do during the stay (Brian - if you're reading this, we were the 'Welsh girls'!). The only down side that I can possibly think of is that the bar looks an amazing party place on the website but was very quiet - this is probably due to the time of year but it was a little disappointing. However, that was a small thing considering all the positives. As two 40 something mums, I would definitely stay again!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor in a corner room with no one either side which was great - no noise at...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends