Generator Hostel Dublin
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Drury Court Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$206
US$296
US$273
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Dublin Parnell Street(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$206
  • Restaurant
Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$194
US$191
US$155
Croke Park Hotel
Sandymount Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$173
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$157
US$148
Orbitz.com
2,232 results
All reviewsjameson distillerybunk bedssmithfield squareprivate bathroomluggage storagetemple bartram stopcommon areasgreat barminute walkcity centrebar downstairsdormroommateslockbackpackerscomputers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2012

A group of 8 of us stayed at this hostel for a friends stag doo. Having never been to either Dublin or the hostel before and knowing that it had not cost us much expectations were not high. So imagine our surprise when we got there to find an ultra modern, very clean hostel with all of the amenities you could need and brilliant spacious rooms with en suite shower/toilet to boot!! Furthermore the location was just perfect and within easy walking distance of the city centre!
Having never stayed in a hostel before I really didn't know what to expect but this place more than exceeded my expectations and would give most regular hotels a run for their money!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank David28macfarlane
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to post your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that the hostel exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We booked the Generator for a weekend in Dublin for a friends Hen Do in June.

I have to say that I could not fault the place one bit. Having previously stayed in a Dublin Hostel around 5 years ago, we were a bit apprehensive, but the website gave a good impression, and we were not disappointed!

The place is modern, clean, and ideal for a group of friends.

The rooms are spacious, with an en suite bathroom. The bunk beds are really comfortable and each had their own light and plug socket (for the all important phone charger!)

Location wise the hostel is ideally situated right next to the Jameson's Distillery. The tour bus stops outside, and there is a tram stop and the end of the street.

I would definitely consider this place again when visiting Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

My actual rating is closer to 3.5 but I will round up because I had a good time over there.

The Vibe:
This hostel has hands down the coolest vibe I have seen at a hostel. There is a very fun atmosphere and a great space to be social. The hostel has a very corporate feel to it. You need to buy alcohol from their bar (you cant bring in outside drinks; making drinking there fairly expensive) and food is fairly pricey for mediocre quality (6.50 Euro for a burger and fries). There is a super market nearby (across the square) which helps to keep food cost down.

Location:
The location is neither great nor poor. Everything in Dublin is walking/biking distance. Generator isn't what I would call stumbling distance from the party scene but it is very close to tourist attractions and the train station (i walked from the train to the hostel in about 15 min).

Staff:
The staff was pretty helpful although there was some unwarrented attitude when I first checked in. It could have been because they were busy but this adds to the corporate feel of the hostel. They were not especially helpful when I asked questions and always seemed like their attention needed to be elsewhere.

Cleanliness:
This is where the marks really came down. I had an 8 person en suite. I do not think the place was cleaned once in the 3 days I was there. For sure not the bathroom. I highly recommend bringing shower shoes to this place bc I was afraid of gangrene if I walked barefoot. I complained to the desk staff and they said someone would look into it, which didn't resolve the fact that it was still dirty the next 2 days (points off for ignoring my request to keep my bathroom disease free).

Beds:
Super comfy, 2 outlets, private light, locker underneath. Perfect.

Bottom Line:
If you need a cheap place, Generator has a fun vibe and is a great spot to meet people; as long as you don't mind less than average service and a lackluster cleaning staff. Overall I would consider staying here again but it is about 50/50 at this point.

Room Tip: In the summer the first floor rooms get super hot and there are very small windows. Open the door to create a cross breeze and you should be ok.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Dshulman100

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your comments and for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

The policy in Generator is not to clean the bathroom everyday but rubbish is emptied everyday from both bins. The room is cleaned thoroughly every 7 days regardless if people are checking out or not. However I do apologise that your request was not fullfilled.

If you wish to return to Generator please contact us directly.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

I stayed for 3 nights at Generator Hostel, with two friends.
The place is really nice, the staff friendly and there is a young-people-youth-hostel vibe about the place.
Remember when reading reviews, that it is a hostel and not a 5* hotel - so for the price, great value for money.

PROS.
- nice light room, good size and nice bathroom.
- You can buy breakfast for 4 Euros. Not full Irish breakfast with eggs, bacon etc. but plenty to get full, and good coffee.
- Staff really friendly.
- Nice bar with very fair prices.
- LOCATION. It is located in a quiet area, but in walking distance to all sights, restaurants, pubs and temple bar area.

CONS.
- Charged us for towels even though hotels.com told us they were included.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

A lovely hostel - one of the nicest I have stayed in. I had a private rooms with friends and the beds were really comfy, there was a nice bathroom and decent shower & lots of room to get ready. A couple of chairs would have been nice as you can't sit up in the bottom bunk but there is plenty of space downstairs to sit and relax or chat. Staff were friendly and I would definitely recommend. My only gripe was that our room on the second floor was directly above the entrance where everyone congregates to smoke, and it was quite noisy late at night and early morning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you found the hostel comfortable and good value.

We have also taken all your extra comments on board.