“Clean & Modern”

Generator Hostel Dublin
Ranked #4 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place was pretty rad. We stayed in a private room for 2 nights and were super happy with our decision. It's very clean and modern, totally unique for a hostel. There was a cafe where you could get breakfast and sandwiches and late night munchies as well. While we were there there were 2 world cups game going on, so they had big viewing parties in the common area which was pretty cool. Our room was clean and spacious, but really warm since we had the sun beating in all day and there was no A/C - I'd suggest the staff have a few fans on handy for guests; that would've gone a long way to making the room more comfortable. Our bathroom was clean but could've used more shelf space to spread out a bit. The hostel itself is in the same building as the Jameson distillery which is pretty cool, but it's not terribly close to much else and is a 20-30 minute walk if you want to hit any of the other main attractions (Temple Bar area, Trinity College, etc.). I was pretty pleased with this place all things considered and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colleen C
dublinChloe, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Colleen,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and had fun watching the World Cup. We actually did purchase fans a couple of days after you left, sorry you missed it!
We hope to see you back over the pond in the near future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I traveled to Dublin with a group of friends and we had an amazing experience with this hostel. We stayed for four nights and had a blast. it was about twenty minutes away from the airport by cab and the cab driver had no issues finding the place. The decor was trendy and appealing to our group of college students. The facilities were clean and the food was delicious. The bar was very fun and had discounted prices on some drinks! While the staff was friendly, I would advise you turn to a guide book for restaurant recommendations before you turn to them. Several times, they recommended restaurants out of our price range or too far away from the hostel. However, that was a minor flaw in our experience. It was a great hostel at a decent price. The Generator Hostel provided a great place for us to stay during our weekend in Dublin.

Room Tip: If you are a group of young people traveling alone for the first time or are concerned about traveli...
1  Thank afer210
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review you posted. Glad to hear you and your party enjoyed the food, staff and the decor.

Check out one of our other European destinations if you are planning another college trip otherwise you are more than welcome to come back to Dublin.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here 2 nights (not back to back) on a week long trip. It was by far the nicest hostel out of all of them that I stayed at while in Ireland! I was traveling solo, and stayed in 6 bed dorm rooms, one all female and the other mixed and everyone was very friendly. The rooms are clean, each bed has its own electrical plugs and small light in the headboard, and there are numbered lockers under each bunk that you can lock if you bring a lock with you. I didn't eat here at all, but I did sit downstairs and have a beer, and it didn't seem to be any more expensive than other bars around. The bathrooms were pretty clean as well. It can be a bit noisy, but part of that was due to us leaving our windows open for circulation, and the other part is due to the fact that it's a hostel and there will always be people up and about. Overall, a pretty great hostel experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Missy W
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Missy,

Thank you for your review, really glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for all the positive comments.

I hope you enjoyed our 12 days of sun here in Ireland - nothing like Tampa!!

Hope to see you soon for another visit

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We started our travel in Dublin but we came back for a second stay in Generator. Overall a good experience - it is a modern and clean place to stay. For the first time we had a double room that was quite spacious and quiet. On our second stay we were in a four bed room - but although we payed for a double we neither had towels nor prepared beds. In both room ths bathroom was clean - but in the second we missed any possibilty to put stuff besides the floor.
WLAN was available in all our rooms (lucky us).
What we were quite unhappy about is the storage fees for lugage as we would say that this should be part of the service/room fee (around 5€ for 3h?!? or something like that) - is most parts of Europe you would pay less placing it at a mainstation....

Hi Jasmin,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. Glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay however I do apologise that you did not receive towels on your second visit. As there is 540 people staying here at any one given time we have to provide electronic lockers - the cost for the large lockers is €3 for 6 hours, smaller bags is €2 for 6 hours.

Again thanks for the review and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've just returned from my second stay at the Generator Hostel in Dublin; my first time was last October. Both trips I stayed in a six-bed female dorm on the second floor for 4 nights. The first time I was travelling solo and the second time I met a friend there.

On my most recent trip I arrived after midnight and although the keycard for my room didn't work, I didn't have to look far for help because there was a security guard walking the corridor and he let me in. A girl from reception brought up a new keycard, even though I expected I would just collect one in the morning. That was much appreciated. Staff are great and friendly.

As expected, the room was clean and there are massive lockers underneath the bunk beds which are big enough to fit my small suitcase, daypack, shoes and jacket. The front desk sell good quality locks for 5 Euros; I bought one last time and brought it with me again.

The bed was really comfortable and the sheets clean. I was also provided with a clean towel, even though I brought my own. Each bed has two power sockets embedded in the headboard, an LED light and mini shelf, big enough to prop small gadgets on, a water bottle, your keycard and anything else you need, which is brilliant. Simple features which make your stay more comfortable and convenient - no-one likes leaving expensive gadgets lying around in a dorm they are sharing with strangers - even though I've never had a problem with this in any hostel, I do prefer my phone charging by my side when I sleep. I also appreciate the privacy screens each bed has, which help block out some of the light and make the beds feel more cosy.

Even though I chose a room with an en-suite, I rarely used it because there are loads of facilities on the floor below at the end of the corridor. I'm happy to make use of those and let someone else shower in the en-suite. The facilities get cleaned regularly but if you find something in a mess, that's because the last person to use the facilities was incapable of cleaning up afterwards! I didn't have any problems and there are signs to encourage people to be clean!

The other communal areas are great, especially the cafe and bar/lounge area. There's always a nice atmosphere, various things happening and the food served at the grill and in the cafe is fantastic - just like the price. if you're travelling solo you're likely to find someone to talk to there.

The hostel attracts a diverse crowd, people of varying ages, groups, solo travellers, couples and families. It's a real nice mix. Security is great and everything appears well maintained.

I would definitely stay here again and I encourage my friends to join me - it's a lovely place in a great location. It's real easy to get to from the airport with the shuttle bus - a few mins walk from the stop. There's a supermarket opposite with an ATM at the back and a coffee shop plus a few restaurants/bars. Great area and base, not far from the rest of the action in Dublin.

If you're looking for luxury on a budget, book yourself a bed!

Thanks Generator Dublin for yet another fantastic stay! :-)

Room Tip: If you choose to sleep in a dorm, take responsibility for your own sleep and wear earplugs and an ey...
1  Thank TheKookyTraveller

Dear Guest,

Wow, thanks for such a great review. We love to hear about people coming back for return visit's. I have passed your comments on to the team here - much appreciated!

Please let me know if you are planning another trip! #Genlove back at you.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night in July as I wanted somewhere cheap as I was on my own. The bar and lounge areas are fab and the staff on reception were very helpful.

I really like the location as it was near the bus stops for both the airlink and the hop on hop off bus.
Plus there was a few nice places to eat/drink nearby.

I'd never stayed in a hostel before and I'm not sure personally if sharing a room was for me. However the room was great, enough space and it was clean.

I would definately return to Dublin and stay in Generator Hostels again

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Louise,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review - very informative for other fellow travellers. Really glad to hear your first experience of staying in a hostel was an enjoyable one. Next time check out one of our private rooms - very comfortable and reasonably priced!

See you soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces