“Not what we expected!”

Ranked #125 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Myself and a few friends booked this hotel for an overnight stay. What we booked was a Family room because there was four of us. Well the pictures we seen had us excited, but what we saw in the pictures was not what we got. We ended up in a room which seemed to be a hostel instead of a Hotel. We were very disappointed. The bathroom was small, the floor was bumpy and had nails sticking out which a few of us stood on on more than one occasion. The shower was disgusting, we ended up having to waste a full bottle of shower gel to clean it. When we entered the room there was double doors which were at the end of the room, they were not closed and we couldnt get them locked again, what we seen behind those doors was awful, empty gas cylinders, ladders and debrie. One of the beds was broke on one side and this made it uncomfortable for us to sleep on. Finally we did not feel safe leaving our stuff in the room as we were made to leave our key at reception before going out into the town. We found this strange and its made us uncomfortable. The only good thing about the place was the staff, they were friendly and one of the women at reception even ordered us food as we were starving! Overall very disappointing, wouldnt stay again and was a waste of money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Newtotravel2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2013

i stayed here with my friend and his family , we were 4 people and the room didnt look small even for four of us, though it wasnt typical hotel room more like a converted big reception with high ceiling, but it didn't matter as all the things were in working order and the room was warm enough
as we skipped our breakfast i don't know how was it . the staff at the reception was informative and thats all we needed from him anyways.
the baths had good shower and the beds were comfortable
so if you want a budget accommodation near city center then this is your place far better than hostels at the price of the hostels.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrTrip100
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

First off for anyone who has booked this hotel and is being extremely put off by other reviews My Place is not that bad! There is a clear differentiation between the hotel and the hostel, areas such as the reception and lobby are however shared by both sets of guest. On arrival to Dublin My Place was easy to find the location is good just off one of the main streets, it is not however the nicer end of town a bit run down this however can not really be helped. I stayed in Dublin with two of my girl friends for a sort city break, check into the hotel was easy and the man behind reception was extremely helpful. When we entered our room we were not so impressed, - the room was like an oven as we were in what i assumed used to be the loft with only a small dirty window, the rooms smelt of sewage from a leak which had also caused a lot of mold in the room. The room was relatively clean and bed was ok (what I expected from this hotel). I felt undersold as when booking the hotel the rooms looked completely different even on there own website, when going down to reception the receptionist knew I was going to complain about the room even before I spoke. On telling him what I was unhappy about he stated that the hotel has standard and superior rooms both for the same room rate and that it was luck of the draw if you got a horrible or a nice room. I had never herd of something so ridiculous charging the same price and not stating this when you book the hotel. The hotel was fully booked for the Saturday night so there was very little that he could of done he resolved what he could for us and transferred us to a superior room for the second night. This room was like staying in a different hotel, modern light and airy (what was expected really). The only down side being these rooms are nearer the hostel accommodation which meant it was quite noisy at night you could hear doors opening and closing. Do not be put off by this hotel if you get a superior room for a good price in the center of Dublin then I do not believe that you will have any problems.

Room Tip: Try to get a superior room!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My fiance was visiting me in Ireland for the first time and apparently the time he came was a busy time for Dublin so I booked this hotel/hostel/apartment building. I thought oh apartments are nice. When I got there it was most definately a hostel. I went to the room and was extremely dissappointed it was so tiny and hot and there was a slice of a window for air. When we left our room after a couple days my fiance's prescription got stolen. If I had to guess watch out for the kids that sit in the common area for two days straight and watch people go in and out, actually I wouldn't put it past the workers. Worst stay in dublin ever.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Don't be fooled !!! This is a hostel not a hotel, the place is filthy, dirty shower sockets hanging out of the wall , dirty glasses, broken window . The list is endless and when we asked to speak to the manager the refused to speak to us . We then asked for our money back and were told no way at the end of the day it's a business .. This place is a hostel and they have a few private rooms everyone shares the same reception , Halls doors ect. so basically it is a overpriced hostel and don't be fooled like we were don't ever stay here it's the worst place I have ever stayed in .

• Stayed June 2013
Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Pretty much the worst place I stayed in during my 38 day trip across Europe. I was desperate because there was a Rihanna concert and everywhere else was completely full.

I stayed in the female dorms which held 12 women. I felt like I was staying in a refugee camp or a sweatshop dorm or something. The bunk beds were so wobbly and cheap I thought they would collapse beneath me as I climbed up. None of the personal lamps worked. It was quiet enough. I couldn't tell if it was clean or not because the light was so dim. To get to the shower and toilets you had to go through a door into a hallway, walk down a flight of stairs into a basement and into a communal shower area that seriously reminded me of a gas chamber. One set of showers had nice curtains. The other set had opaque/vaguely see-through shower curtains. Who buys see-through shower curtains for communal showers?
The bathrooms were filthy. I could tell the shower hadn't been wiped down in several days.

There was also a dress code! We couldn't wear pajamas into any public areas! I understand not wanting people to wear revealing clothing, but considering the showers and toilets are on a different floor, not wanting people to be in their sleeping clothes is a little ridiculous.

Didn't linger too much in the common area. It smelled really badly of B.O. When I went to check out at the front desk, there were two spiders on the sign explaining the cost of breakfast. I can't say anything about the actual rooms, but if you need to stay in a hostel, stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RebeccaS1991
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Worst hostel i've stayed in! Staff is rude, breakfast tastes bad, rooms smelly and they steal everything!!! iphone 5, camera, kredit card, jacket AND EVEN MY TOOTHBRUS got stolen WHEN I WAS SLEEPING!!!

Never again!! THIS PLACE IS NOT MY PLACE!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends