“Overpriced, Smelly, No Water Pressure”

My Place Dublin Hotel
Ranked #125 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This should not be be billed as a hotel!! It is a Hostel and poor one at that, The entire building smelled, Location is the only thing it has going for it. The room was small, Water pressure was just a trickle NO Pressure!! It was a maze to find your room several buildings connected to make one big Dump.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 September 2013

room was quite small and bed was tiny...but this was the cheapest place in the city centre, which i could find!! for that it was alright i guess. the breakfast was nice and filling, for 4.50€ - very good deal !! staff was very friendly. only thing that really disturbed me was the heat in the room, although it wasn´t very warm outside (maybe around 20°C / 68°F) and the window in our room was tiny... but all in all it was alright, especially for the low price (well, low price for dublin city centre)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed in the hostel at My Place and it was much better than I thought - having read reviews that it was pretty bad I was quite apprehensive but it was a nice surprise.

I stayed in a 12 bed dorm which was clean and tidy and had air conditioning. Kitchen facilities were not great but sufficient for the minimum. Common spaces were quite big with sofas, tables, 2 pool tables and foozball and TV. Showers were clean and water was hot and constant (which is a huge bonus) and the sink and toilets also clean if a little outdated.

Also, i forgot to check out until 5pm but the staff didnt kick up a fuss or try to charge me any more money which was greatly appreciated!

Good central location, recommended for any travellers on a low budget.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I booked a room in the "hotel" section of this establishment. There was nothing "hotel" about it. First and foremost, we were booked into a room on the 5th floor that meant lugging our luggage up 5 flights of narrow staircases. The room was musty and damp but linen was clean. The bathroom was teeny tiny and the shower door was broken. There was no hot water, so we had to endure cold showers. When we asked about hot water, we were told that we were high up and the pumps struggled to get hot water to the top floor - begs the question, why put rooms up there.

You would be better off booking into a hostel.

The service and assistance from the staff must be commended, all staff were very helpful in addressing issues brought to their attention.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Simple and clean. Almost a bed and breakfast, with a bus stop to the airport literally in front of the hotel. Not that close to city centre but at the same time just 15 minutes walking from it...
Small bathroom, big room, cannot complain about the cleanness neither noisy. We had a simple and limited continental breakfast there (not many places for breakfast around the hotel) and paid only 5 per person for 2 toasts, cheese and ham, coffe, milk and cereal (with is a far price for Dublin). Good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

To be fair we had a very clean room and bedding in the hotel part of this establishment. The staff was helpfull and friendly. Our complaint is that we had a room under the hostel with a army of backpakkers stomping in steadily between 3 and 4:30. We had to be up at 5 for our flight, so we on purpose got a hotel and paid more money. The establishment has some wear and tear, but cleaner than the pictures suggests. The photos on booking.com were misleading however in what it suggests.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

well, it was a nice hotel with a hostel look. yes, on the webpage I booked, it looked like a hotel, but it turned out that this was actually a hostel that was partly a hotel. I didn't have any issues with cleaning as the room and the bathroom were clean. the room was also a nicely decorated one.They changed the towels daily, but somehow didn't vacuum clean the room. There were coffee and tea with a water boiler and glasses in the room. They also left an ironing board and iron in the room, which is an unusual thing in many hotels since they expect you to use the common ones. One thing that really disturbed me was the terrible noises when people were walking or running along the corridors or stairs. It felt like there was some kind of earthquake. Also, you could hear any tiny whispers from other rooms. that they ask us to leave the keys to the reception every time we left the ho(s)tel was another unusual thing for me. They also have cheaper breakfast at the hostel compared to many other surprisingly expensive places. One downside of the breakfast was that they did not make it clear whether I could get a veggie option of the continental breakfast which included cereals, yoghurt, meats and cheese. the other available options were egg breakfast, which was composed of only scrambled or fried eggs with toasted bread and bread and butter breakfast. So when I asked whether I could switch scrambled eggs with meats of the continental breakfast, the guy told me No. Then I learnt that there was already eggs in continental breakfast. Well,the way they put each breakfast on the board was confusing. Also, it was a bit hard to get words from the mouths of the receptionists. They were nice and kind, but when we tried to learn about something, their answers sounded as if they were assuming that we were locals who would know everything about Dublin. So we had a lot of difficulties to understand what they were talking about many times. Another thing -don't know if this is a good or bad thing-was that the house of the ho(s)tel was like a labyrinth. The way the receptionist explained the way for our room was already complicated, and the ho(s)tel itself was more complicated. One last thing was that they had a pretty clean, well-lighted and large common area with tables and nice sofas.
P.S: When you are trying to find the hotel once you arrive to Dublin, walk towards the river once you are on the Lower Gardiner Street area. Just needed to write that since because I didn't have any Gps, I followed the house numbers on the street and went far far away while trying to find the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends