“Very Average”

My Place Dublin Hotel
Ranked #124 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I visited My Place recently for 3 nights on the weekend. After reading previous reviews it seemed suitable and for the price we payed i knew it wasnt going to be the ritz but i expected more than what we got. After waiting ages before we could check in we got given our room key. Our room was at the very top of the building. We had to carry our large and heavy suitcases up 6 flights of very narrow stairs before we got to the room. We opened to door to find a old looking room with stained carpet, a broken window and a miss match of handle knobs. Once we'd put our stuff down we went to make a cup of tea and watch some tv to find that we had tea and coffee facilities but no kettle and no tv remote to turn it on. After calling reception they bought up a replacement kettle.. which didnt even work and a tv remote. We then went for a shower.. the bathroom door didnt shut as it was too big for the frame and nor did the shower, which i add after running for 15 minutes didnt heat up so we had to have it cold (the water practically dribbled out). The bed was like sleeping on a table with wafer thin pillows and the headboard banged everytime we moved as it was not even attached to the bed. Very disappointed. But on a positive, the location was brilliant with easy access to the city and transport around.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked this hotel last minute on a trip around ireland. I will be staying here again without a doubt. Got a room for three of us with two double beds and a single. Huge room, good bathroom. The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. Would highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Arrived in Dublin for a quick trip away, a £21 room was something to be considered! The location is fantastic, if you're getting into the city centre via O'Connell Street the hotel is literally 5 minutes walk away (turning left at the spire). Staff were very approachable upon entry and during an early morning (5am) departure. Rooms very big for the price, had small TV which broadcast BBC 1, Sky News, MTV and Setanta Sports; so a lot to choose from.

If you want a cheap and cheerful get away in a fantastic City; this is the place to be. The one problem is, the WiFi in the lobby can be a bit temperamental; but don't worry you'll succeed after a little while.

Room Tip: Make sure to try and get Rooms 113 or 114; tucked away from most of the hotel. It does involve stair...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Pros: Large room. We booked a double, expecting one double bed, and our room had 2 double beds. And I think the ceiling was 20 feet tall. Convenient location in downtown, maybe a mile from Temple Bar. Slightly discounted parking at a nearby parking garage. Tasty continental breakfast. The sheets seemed clean, or at least they smelled freshly bleached. Very cheap - other hotels in the area had exorbitant prices when we visited because of an upcoming Fleetwood Mac concert, but this hotel was still very reasonable. Great pub down the road on the corner, and a grocery store a couple blocks farther on.

Cons: Overall dirty impression. Carpet was filthy, bathroom not the cleanest. Wi-Fi didn't work, even in the lobby. Front desk staff had a difficult time understanding English; I think they may have been foreign exchange students. The parking discount was misstated, possibly due to the language barrier, and we ended up missing the discounted timeframe. Overall it felt like we were staying in the hostel half of the hotel/hostel combo. And I have stayed at much nicer hostels in Europe.

Bear in mind, this is not a wheelchair accessible hotel. There is no elevator, and the staircase is steep and narrow.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the street, and while I thought it would be noisy with the number of youths hang...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at My Place Dublin Hotel from the 17th jan to the 19th. After reading all the reviews on here I was really worried about staying here . I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived at 8.30am and was able to check in straight away. The reception staff were sooo helpful with everything. It was within walking minutes to o'connell street. I honestly think that the bad reviews were for the hostel part of the hotel. The only thing that I would say is that it could do with some redecorating as it's a little dated but that didn't stop us from enjoying our stay. Don't be out off by the bad comments just make sure your booked into the hotel and not the hostel. We would more than likely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kelly H
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at My Place Hotel on NYE 2013 and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I arrive and was asked to wait by the receptionist in an area with nowhere to sit as there were people all over the place. After about a half an hour we eventually got checked in were informed the room 501 was on the 3rd floor and up 3 flights of very narrow stairs. This should be out on the hotels website to let people know that you will have to climb stairs as there's no lift.

Then we got into the room and what we saw was nothing short of shocking. The carpets were old and stained, there were damp patches on the walls and skirting board. The bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in and the 2 pillows(1 each) were wafer thin so we didn't sleep very well. As for the shower it was old and manky and I wouldn't dare have gotten into it. This ruined what should have been a great night for us. Then the piece de resistance happened in the morning when there was knock at the door at about 1115am. My partner opened it and it was housekeeping. Next thing about 2 minutes later the phone in the room rang and when my partner answered she was told, "you need to leave your room, check out is at 11!" I've never in all my days heard of an 11am check out in any hotel I've stayed in. Needless to say I was livid.

I am actually from Dublin and only booked into a hotel so as I would be with friends who had travelled over from England for the News Years Eve celebrations.

So basically I would advise people to avoid this place unless you want to stay in a dump of a hotel and not get very good service. Would I stay here again? Not if I got it for free I wouldn't.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MC_CFC1905
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I liked the hotel it is in the city centre which is very handy the staff is so friendly and helpfull! The rooms are basic but it is a good price that you pay for it the only bad thing is they dont have an elavator which is not very handy with suitcases otherwise i enjoyed my stay here.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple