“Beautiful!!!”
Review of John's Lane Church

John's Lane Church
Ranked #154 of 546 things to do in Dublin
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Attended Mass here twice. Breathtaking beautiful church. I read about this on tripadvisor before I left for Dublin, but actually stumbled across the church by accident. Dublin is somewhat confusing since roads change names about every block. Not in the best part of town, but if you go during the day, it should be okay. We actually stayed in the area so we could walk there in the morning for Mass.

1  Thank Eleanor H

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Go and see it for yourselves, its magic, its well worth a visit a lot of history and very old and nice coffee shops close by

3  Thank Claire787
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I love this church because even though it is situated in the epicentre of Dublin city, once I go through the doors, immediately I am surrounded by the quiet and there is a feeling of reverence and awe in this beautiful old church.
It reminds me so much of the cathedral beside me grandparents home in Sligo town and therefore I step back in time and feel close to home when I pray here.

Mass is at 11 and 1pm daily, not sure if there is an earlier mass, am sure there is and not sure of the Sunday listings. Christmas Eve mass is very special here and the Nativity crib is something so peaceful and special.
The sacristy is accessible from the altar for purchasing religious items and mass cards for sale that cover EVERY occasion.
Good for my soul to visit this special church.

5  Thank Ailinbranagan
Reviewed 1 October 2011

John’s Lane Church was impressive. The church is massive, but having said that, the outside is not as decorated or eye-catching as some of the other churches and cathedrals in Dublin. It is inside that John’s Lane is so amazing – a big church that is absolutely filled with colour and artwork. The scale and range of decoration is staggering. Certainly from a photographers point of view, this church was one of the best churches I visited in all of the United Kingdom – highly recommended.

3  Thank Fiver75
Reviewed 5 March 2007

March 5th 2007.
As a long-time admirer of this beautiful Gothic Church designed by Edwin Welby Pugin and opened in 1874, I feel compelled to share my discovery with anyone else willing to have a look.
The church was built by the Augustinian Order who have been in this area of Dublin since the mid 1200s and it stands on the site of the medieval hospital of St. John. Hence the local name for the church , "Johns Lane" ... it is officially called the Church of St. Augustine & St.John the Baptist.
On a historical note; the twelve statues in the tower niches are the work of James Pearse, the father of patriots Padraig and Willie Pearse.
The Church has the highest spire of all Dublin churches standing at over 200 feet.
Inside can be seen some wonderful stained glass from the Harry Clarke studio and by Michael Healy, also some fine work by Mayers of Munich. The Shrine of Our Lady of Good Counsel to the right of the high altar as you enter, dates from 1898. The altar of white Carrara marble is the work of Edmond Sharpe.
OPENING HOURS; 7.15am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
9.30am to 6.30pm Saturday.
8.00am to 1.00pm Sunday.