“What a Kip”
Review of The George Bar

The George Bar
Ranked #38 of 287 Nightlife in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: The George is not just any bar or any gay bar. It is the first port of call for young gay people in Ireland, it is the venue where gay and straight people mix together and where international visitors stop to check out the gay scene in Ireland. The George has been the lynchpin that holds Dublin's gay scene together. Having been around for 30 years it has been a home to the development of the social evolution of gay Ireland. "A mix of styles with a sprinkling of fairy dust thrown in", The George features two bar areas; the front bar affectionately known as ‘Bridies' after one of the bar's longest serving staff members; with its low lighting and leather clad barstools is the perfect spot for a quiet drink and a chat. The main club venue has been graced by the presence of some of the hottest international acts including Alexandra Burke, Daniel Johnson, The Saturdays and Bananarama. It is also where you can see some of the best weekly performances in the city Space'N'Veda, Davina's House-Party and featuring International Cabaret Artiste Extraordinaire TM and former child-star Shirley Temple Bar at Sunday night Bingo!
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Arrived early and met a bouncer who thought he was god, eventually we were inside ... what a downright kip, I was sooooooooooooo embarrassed as I had brought some gay friends from Leeds there to check out and enjoy the gay Dublin scene. The music was non existent and the place smelled of wee !!. Yep the best part and the safest part of our night out was leaving. We went else where and had a great sing song then had a meal and then went home. Really enjoyed meeting Irish People as they are so welcoming and friendly but the George is a downright Kip and has more straight guys than gays. Avoid this dirty Kip and do not end up embarrassed in front of your friends.

2  Thank Mary B
There are newer reviews for The George Bar

Reviewed 25 September 2011

There was a group of 11 people, a mixture of males and females on holiday in Dublin from the UK. We are all respectable, professionals - amongst our group a nurse, 2 teachers and a solicitor. The majority of our group are also gay. We were looking forward to going into The George as had had it recommended to us, however when we turned up at the door we were refused entry because we didn't "look gay". It is absolutely disgraceful that we were refused entry on this basis, just because we don't conform to the stereotype of lesbians.

I would avoid this bar like the plague!

4  Thank Discodaisy10
Reviewed 19 August 2011

While this might be the oldest gay bar in Dublin it is not all inclusive. My girlfriend and I walked in, saw only one woman and were stared at the entire time so we walked right back out. I was excited to see what the Dublin gay scene was like but they didn't seem to want us. We made our way down the Front Lounge just down the street and had lovely night.

3  Thank Elizabeth A
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Good night, already back home I would like to relate a scene I saw
happening at the door of THE GEORGE.

I was smoking at the entrance of the nightclub, when I saw a visitor be
barred by security, best noticed when I saw it was
CHRISTIAN LEMINSK, I was euphoric in the knowledge that he was in my
front in the flesh.

Looking better, I saw he was wearing a sweatshirt and a CALs
jacket very tasteful, if not tell me the memory was a Dolce & Gabanna
DSquared shoes of.

He was really very well dressed for an young and said security
could not get to be inadequate. He smiled and turned away from
security very good education, while I was smoking
2 others acknowledged that it was and were CHRISTIAN LEMINSK
talking to then.

Yet within this same time the security is not let in another
visitor, saying that he was drunk, this visitor was with
4 other people.

I am informing THE GEORGE, being a frequent visitor, for how
may leave a security so misinformed on the front door, where the
or even not aware of famous people and even designer labels
famous, how can you say that a person is unsuitable for a
disco, but only the shoes that are worth using over 300
euros?? How can you not let a group of five people in full
Sunday night.

After all, I believe the goal of the house and not lose money is bar
famous people is totally unrealistic.

I hope the manager can take cognizance of such imprudence by
part of security and provides a take.

Thanks

5  Thank TonSvaynish
Reviewed 9 December 2010

didn't make it to the george as it was closing early on this occasion but was directed to the dragon. what a fab bar! had lots of fun and drinks were not overly expensive - great night!

1  Thank Cnm08