“Excellent food with excellent service at excellent prices!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
North Yorkshire
“Excellent food with excellent service at excellent prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Spent a couple of days, including Christmas, in Dublin and decided to go against tradition for one night and not sample the local cuisine. Management (wife!) and myself like Malaysian / Indonesian food and after checking the reviews (including several on Trip Advisor!) of various restaurants offering Malaysian / Indonesian dishes, we decided on the Saga Restaurant.
This place doesn't look particularly inviting from the outside (or from the publicity shots on the web!) but we decided to give it a try and were surprised to find that it is much bigger than it looks from the outside
What a delightful surprise awaited us inside - a very friendly welcome from the staff and the place was spotlessly clean - even the toilets were cleaner than many other better-known establishments we have visited!!!
At this point I should add that Management and myself are not ones for eating large portions and, as is usual for us, had only one course each - management had the Nasi Goreng and it was Beef Rendang for me. Both dishes were delivered a very reasonable time after our order was taken and they arrived at the right temperature and looked very appetising. Both dishes were delicious and were just the right amounts to leave us feeling replete without being stuffed! Had we been with others and been prepared to let our main course settle for a while, we would probably have sampled the desserts on offer.
The portions were adequate for what we wanted, although I noted that some other Reviewers complained that the portion sizes were small, and they looked and tasted very good. If you have a particularly "healthy appetite!", for the prices they were charging, you double up on the size of your order and you would still be getting excellent value for your money
We dined early evening (around 7.00pm) and there was just the two of us at our table so there was no atmospere to speak of but it didn't stop us from enjoying our meal, or planning to return next time we visit Dublin.
The only downside and it wasn't a problem for us is that the restaurant is "dry!" i.e. it doesn't currently have a Drinks Licence. You can bring your own wine but there is a small "corkage" charge on each bottle (not sure about spirits and mixers!). There are a couple of Licquor Stores very close by the restaurant where you can buy your own booze - it could work out much cheaper than paying restaurant prices for mediocre wine!!!
We highly recommend this Restaurant which offers excellent, value for money authentic Malaysian / Indonesian food, served in pleasant surroundings by friendly and efficient staff.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Seamasterwatchman

Wisconsin
“an unexpected dining experience in Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and I stumbled upon this intimate, authentic Malaysian restaurant on a walk near our B and B in a north Dublin neighborhood, and experienced a delightful meal of complex, intriguing and subtle flavors. Vegetarian options were numerous, and the owners daughter who was working that night was very friendly and helpful in helping us choose what to order. The rose water drink we started with was a perfect complement to the curry and spice flavors in our entrees (tofu in sauce with cauliflower for me, and for my husband lamb roti with dhall.) We split a delightful banana roti for dessert. Everything was reasonably priced, beautifully presented and there was care taken to explain the dishes and their preparation. Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank reba54
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful food in wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

It was an amazing malaysian food experience in Dublin city. Atmosphere was great and staff were very nice , sevice was great and food was amazing for great value.They don't have wine licence, but you can bring your own -GREAT SAVINGS. I have been to many asian restaurants before, but this one is really authentic.The signature dish is SATAY with peanut sauce-AMAZING! They also can do catering for functions and meetings, and there is also function room. I will be back!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank ongurss
Riga, Latvia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I was in Saga with my friends- amazing experience with wonderful service, amazing food for the best value in great atmosphere and we could bring our own wine. I have tasted malaysian food before, but food in Saga is the best I have ever tried, I could feel chefs and owners passion for food and love for guests. The place is AMAZING! I will be back in Saga when I am next in Dublin and I can recommend it to everyone. My friends will be there very often as they are lucky to be living in Dublin :-)

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank elka84
“Excellent, appart from some beginner mistakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

This restaurant has just opened one month ago and we thought we'd give it a go because we had never eaten Malaysian. The atmosphere was not briliant, it could use a few touches. The staff was super friendly. They were helpful and weren't afraid of making small talk. The food was fantastic - The rice was cooked perffectly and they were generous with the meat. They had a lot of nice food and beverages I hadn't heard of before but tasted great - and cheap. We had a meal with a starter and 4 drinks for 33 euro's total. Pricewise briliant. The waitresses however made a lot of small mistakes (forgot to give a spoon, served onee meal before the other etc.) When these girls have a bit more experience, this place will be absolutely fantastic. You can feel the chef's passion for Malaysian cuisine and his restaurant making the overall experience great.