“A real taste of Malaysia in Ireland”
Review of Saga - CLOSED

Saga
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“A real taste of Malaysia in Ireland”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I was born in Malaysia but moved to Ireland at a very young age. All memories of holidays back to Malaysia seem to be of food. My uncle recommended that I should try Saga, as I enjoy eating out. Came here with Dad on a Tuesday evening. The place doesn't look inviting from the outside but I had been told that the food is good, so long as the food is good I'm happy. Greeted with a lovely smile we were sat and menu's brought promptly by the waitress. The restaurant was quiet with only one other table, but picked up a table of 1 and a table of 7 during our meal. All the customers, with the exception of the table of one (Irish) were all Malaysian. Always a good sign when ethnic people are eating the food, means something must be right! The restaurant is quite small in size and decorated with Malaysian art (kites) on the walls. Nothing fancy here like.

To drink Dad ordered one Air Bandung (milk and rose cordial syrup) and one Mango Lassi (mango, sugar and yoghurt) as I hadn't a clue and he'd know best. The menu on offer is simple and authentic. To start we shared a portion of Satay Chicken Skewers which came garnished with red onion, cucumber, Ketupat (a Malay rice cake) and the spicy peanut sauce. Fast and nice. For mains Dad ordered the Nasi Lemak with extra pieces of Prawn Sambal, while I opted for the Beef Rendang. Although mine was nice, I preferred the Nasi Lemak. Overhearing other customers ordering, (not that hard as it was quiet) everyone seemed to go for the Nasi Lemak, it is after all Malaysia's national dish. I enjoyed the food and it's going to be the closest thing to authentic in Ireland (well apart from Dad's cooking!). Dinner for two cost just over €30. We left happy and would come back again.

• Visited January 2012

North Yorkshire
“Excellent food with excellent service at excellent prices!”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Spent a couple of days, including Christmas, in Dublin and decided to go against tradition for one night and not sample the local cuisine. Management (wife!) and myself like Malaysian / Indonesian food and after checking the reviews (including several on Trip Advisor!) of various restaurants offering Malaysian / Indonesian dishes, we decided on the Saga Restaurant.
This place doesn't look particularly inviting from the outside (or from the publicity shots on the web!) but we decided to give it a try and were surprised to find that it is much bigger than it looks from the outside
What a delightful surprise awaited us inside - a very friendly welcome from the staff and the place was spotlessly clean - even the toilets were cleaner than many other better-known establishments we have visited!!!
At this point I should add that Management and myself are not ones for eating large portions and, as is usual for us, had only one course each - management had the Nasi Goreng and it was Beef Rendang for me. Both dishes were delivered a very reasonable time after our order was taken and they arrived at the right temperature and looked very appetising. Both dishes were delicious and were just the right amounts to leave us feeling replete without being stuffed! Had we been with others and been prepared to let our main course settle for a while, we would probably have sampled the desserts on offer.
The portions were adequate for what we wanted, although I noted that some other Reviewers complained that the portion sizes were small, and they looked and tasted very good. If you have a particularly "healthy appetite!", for the prices they were charging, you double up on the size of your order and you would still be getting excellent value for your money
We dined early evening (around 7.00pm) and there was just the two of us at our table so there was no atmospere to speak of but it didn't stop us from enjoying our meal, or planning to return next time we visit Dublin.
The only downside and it wasn't a problem for us is that the restaurant is "dry!" i.e. it doesn't currently have a Drinks Licence. You can bring your own wine but there is a small "corkage" charge on each bottle (not sure about spirits and mixers!). There are a couple of Licquor Stores very close by the restaurant where you can buy your own booze - it could work out much cheaper than paying restaurant prices for mediocre wine!!!
We highly recommend this Restaurant which offers excellent, value for money authentic Malaysian / Indonesian food, served in pleasant surroundings by friendly and efficient staff.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Seamasterwatchman
Wisconsin
“an unexpected dining experience in Dublin”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and I stumbled upon this intimate, authentic Malaysian restaurant on a walk near our B and B in a north Dublin neighborhood, and experienced a delightful meal of complex, intriguing and subtle flavors. Vegetarian options were numerous, and the owners daughter who was working that night was very friendly and helpful in helping us choose what to order. The rose water drink we started with was a perfect complement to the curry and spice flavors in our entrees (tofu in sauce with cauliflower for me, and for my husband lamb roti with dhall.) We split a delightful banana roti for dessert. Everything was reasonably priced, beautifully presented and there was care taken to explain the dishes and their preparation. Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank reba54
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful food in wonderful atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

It was an amazing malaysian food experience in Dublin city. Atmosphere was great and staff were very nice , sevice was great and food was amazing for great value.They don't have wine licence, but you can bring your own -GREAT SAVINGS. I have been to many asian restaurants before, but this one is really authentic.The signature dish is SATAY with peanut sauce-AMAZING! They also can do catering for functions and meetings, and there is also function room. I will be back!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank ongurss
Riga, Latvia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I was in Saga with my friends- amazing experience with wonderful service, amazing food for the best value in great atmosphere and we could bring our own wine. I have tasted malaysian food before, but food in Saga is the best I have ever tried, I could feel chefs and owners passion for food and love for guests. The place is AMAZING! I will be back in Saga when I am next in Dublin and I can recommend it to everyone. My friends will be there very often as they are lucky to be living in Dublin :-)

• Visited August 2011