“Excellent soup”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Campbellford, Canada
“Excellent soup”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This pub is just down the street from my hotel so I paid a few visits here on my last few trips to Dublin. I always get the vegetable soup with brown bread - just outstanding. They don't make vegetable soup like that around here. I like to sit at one of the tables on the sidewalk with my meal & my pint - just be aware that because you are in the heart of downtown (right by the O'Connell Bridge crosswalk) there is a lot of foot traffic. Once while I was eating I was approached by a woman with a baby asking for money. She was pretty persistent. But that's only happened the one time and certainly is not the fault of the pub - it won't keep me from going back. Looking forward to my next trip in October!

• Visited July 2013

Vilnius, Lithuania
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Chose this place to have dinner cause it looked alright and it wasn't as pricey as most of places around. Although now I think we should have added a few euros to have nicer dinner. The food was very average, definitely not worth the price. All in all this place has too many minuses to come back again.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great staff and great food!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Needed take-out first night in Dublin - husband needed to stay in bed with legs up. Staff was great-- food was great. We went back last night in Dublin for dinner! Would definitely recommend!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank LKS1953
Naantali, Finland
“Nice place for a pint or two”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Most of tourists spend their time on south side of Liffey, so this place isn't so popular than those (more expensive ones) in Temple Bar. Few tables outside, but right next to busy road, so not that comfy. Traditional interior when you walk in, but especially their downstairs was nice. Service was real friendly and clientele nice mix of locals and tourists all over the world. Good place to watch football too :)

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Halkidis
Lilburn, Georgia
“A True Iris Pub”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

O'Connells is just on the north side of the Liffe river...on the south side is where you will find the Temple Bar area. The Temple Bar area can have the atmosphere of Bourbon Street in New Orleans...it gets crazy and wild, and it is noisy and filled with tourist. Of course I went to a few pubs in the Temple Bar area, but that gets old and I was so glad to find OConnells just on the other side of the river, but a world apart. The atmosphere is great, the food was very nice, and of course they have a great selection of beers. There is an upstairs and a downstairs and while it was busy, and TVs were broadcast sporting events, I could still have conversations with my colleagues. I enjoyed it so much that I went there for dinner 2x in the 5 nights I was there. Try the Beef Pie...and sorry, but I prefer Smithwicks to Guinness any day. The staff and owner are both wonderful and accommodating, and it would be a shame if you did not stop here to sample some local food.

Visited April 2014