“Lovely cafe let down by poor food”
Review of Metro Cafe

Metro Cafe
Ranked #10 of 113 Coffee & Tea in Dublin
Price range: US$0 - US$17
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch & Dinner.
Galway, Ireland
“Lovely cafe let down by poor food”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My feelings on this place are mixed. On the one hand the cafe has a great atmosphere and is a truly lovely place to sit outside with a glass of wine or coffee and watch the world go by. But the food is extremely disappointing. Was here for breakfast recently with a large group and we were all displeased with what we received. The pancakes are not homemade and the creamed mushrooms that I ordered were really just fried mushroom slopped on some bread. I would go back but I certainly will not be ordering food again.

• Visited March 2014

• Finnish first
Dublin, Ireland
“I'm depressed after my experience”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Rather than writing a review for everyone to see, I thought I would write to the owner/manager about my experience so at least they would be alerted. I cannot find any contact details online however.... not a good sign in the first instance.

I implore the manager to do something with this post.

I think the Metro Cafe looks like it has a bit of character about it. It looks like the kind of place minds would meet and actual conversations might happen. I like the fact that it's not overly designed, resulting in a cosy atmosphere within quirky spaces.
I really wanted this cafe to be good, but I was sorely disappointed.

I ordered a hot chocolate and scrambled eggs on toast.
The hot chocolate, like many hot chocolates around Dublin is made with the powdered cadbury's (I'm guessing, but it was very powdery and incredibly sweet) type. You can forgive them for this sin, it's always a risk.

Christ though, the eggs!
The menu says free range eggs, scrambled. What the menu does not say is that the eggs are microwaved!
Apart from this, they are the most tasteless eggs I have ever eaten, seriously... I couldn't have imagined more tasteless eggs. Perhaps they are those carton eggs, but whatever they start out as, they are far from fresh free range eggs.
Microwaving eggs is a serious sin in a cafe anywhere but when they are that tasteless to begin with, it's just rude. The result is plastic, angular pieces of warm shiny yellow meh, for want of a better word. I feel insulted that anyone requests money for this. You literally couldn't pay me to eat those 'eggs'.

But being Irish, I left the eggs on the plate, finished my paper, and paid on the way out. In my defence, I tried to contact someone about this but couldn't. This is not a rant just for the sake of it... I honestly don't want people to order food in Dublin and be served such awful fare.

Please, just have coffee and go somewhere else for breakfast or for lunch.... there are some lovely spots around the city that actually respect food and custom.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Edav1981
cardiff, wales
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Had breakfast both mornings during my stay. Very good service from waitress. She was very kind and chatty. Food and coffee was really nice, went for the Irish breakfast both times. Would definitely recommend.

“Rude staff and poor quality food”
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I ate at this cafe with friends recently and we were very disappointed with both the service and the food we received. The cafe was busy when we arrived so we had to wait for a table when we were seated we were sat at a corner table barely big enough for two people never mind our group of four. We had to wait for quite some time before our waitress appeared and she seemed overly rushed and disinterested. I ordered a goats cheese and roasted vegetable salad which consisted of a small lump of goats cheese, a few meagre slices of roast pepper and iceberg lettuce. Another dish arrived to the table cold and condiments we asked for we're never brought to the table. The waitress was unapologetic and it seemed they just wanted us out to seat the next customers. This place clearly doesn't care about its customers or the quality of food it serves - with so many restaurants in the area better to give this place a miss.

Visited December 2013
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Busiest cafe I've ever been to....”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

and now I know why!! Staff were fantastic and attentive, as busy as they were they took time to talk and advise the best places to visit in Dublin. Food was amazing especially the bacon and scrambled eggs with pancakes and maple syrup. Coffee to die for. Recommended for sure :)))