“Great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel
Ranked #59 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent 3 days at this hotel and enjoyed it very much! The service was excellent, breakfast was very good and rooms were clean and we'll kept up! The hotel is very close to several pubs and places to eat. We would stay at O'Callaghan Alexander again...I hope soon!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Many thanks for posting such a lovely review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in our well apointed and maintained rooms. Thank you for your very kind comments in relation to the team which I will most certainly pass onto them as praise for a job well done is the best motivator of all.

I would love to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting Dublin.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here 4 nights at the end of our Dublin trip. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel was in a decent location. The room was good for the most part. Have to say that the bed was one of the more uncomfortable beds I've slept in a long time. Felt like I was sleeping in a hole. Didn't have one good night sleep. TV was really small too but the rest of the hotel was fine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brian A
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.

Many thanks for your kind comments about the team which I will be sure to pass these on as praise for a job well done is the best safisfaction of all.

I am sorry that you found the beds uncomfortable. The hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment over the coming months and this should resolve any issues you might have had. Should you be returning to Dublin in the future I would love to showcase the hotel to you. When you are next returning to Dublin if you would like to contact me directly on mairead.cullinane@ocallaghanhotels.com I will ensure you enjoy a comfortable stay with us.

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here at the beginning of our 19 day vacation to the UK.
Really was a very nice hotel but a little further from the things we went to Dublin to see.
Still within walking distance but we walked by many other hotels to get here. That is no fault of the Alexander Hotel or their employees who were very knowledgable about the usual tourist questions.
The rooms were spotless and we had a very good two night stay!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel and you appreciated our exceptionally high standard of cleaniness in all our well appointed rooms.

Many thanks for our kind comments about the team which I will ensure to pass on as praise is the best motivator of all and we always love to hear that our first class service has contributed to your comfortable stay in Dublin.

I am sorry that you found the Hotel to be a distance away from some of Dublin's attractions but when you are next in Dublin maybe we could show you how close we are to Merrion Square and the HopOn HopOff City Bus Tour which is an amazing way to see our city.

I would love the oppurtunity to welcome you and the family back to the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in the near future

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Great location and high quality staff with great tips for tourists in Dublin as thanks to Colin who helped us enjoy our stay in Dublin more then ever. Great food with a wide selection. I would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends as the location is ideal.

Stayed June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel. Situated as it is right in the heart of the city you so rightly pointed out that the Hotel is in a perfect location for our guests to enjoy many of Dublin's varied attractions.

However you wonderful comments about the team are the best praise of all. All the team strive to provide excellent service at all times and we are delighted when we get such fantastic feedback knowing that we contributed in some way to your stay. Colin is a valued member of the team and I will ensure that I let him know you specially mentioned his assistance.

I would love to welcome you back to the Hotel as would the rest of the team the next time you pay a visit to Dublin

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Location, accommodation and breakfast at this hotel were excellent. Hotel is just around the corner from Merrian Square and a couple of minutes walk further to Grafton Street. The best thing about this hotel is it's staff who go out of their way to ensure you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Special mention to both Daniella and Mairhead at the front desk who were exceptionally helpful. We would be happy to return.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front and experienced no noise problems. Friday night saw a lively crowd at a n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for posting a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.

The O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel is situated right in the heart of the city centre and as you pointed out enjoys close proximity to many of Dublin's attractions and just minutes walk away from our main shopping area in Grafton Street.

Many thanks for your very kind commnets about the team. We love to make our guests feel welcome and strive to provide every assistance to ensure you enjoy both a wonderful stay in our Hotel and in Dublin. I will pass on your wonderful comments to the team as there is no better satisfaction than praise for a job well done and knowing that we contributed to your stay with us here.

I am delighted that you will return to visit us and I look forward to welcoming you back

Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Top quality service from very helpful friendly staff. The location is very central, the breakfast was excellent , very comfortable bed, but the attitude of the staff is what was the best of all. Overall 9.5/10 for me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay in the Hotel and even more pleased to see enjoyed breakfast - I will pass on your comments to Chef who is constantly upgrading and reviewing breakfast.

As you so rightly pointed out the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel is in a fantastic location within walking distance of Dublin's many and varied attractions and close to a variety of pubs and restaurants.

I am especially delighed about your very kind comments about our team. We aim to provide first class service at all times and it is wonderful to get such fantastic feedback. I will be sure to share your comments as praise for a job well done is the best job satisfaction of all.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel the next time you are in Dublin

Tigard, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed 6 nights in late June 2014. Check in was breeze and actually got an early check in so was able to shower and rest after a long overseas flight. Room had a comfortable bed. Smallish room facing the street with OK furnishings. Weather was actually rather hot that week, way above average 24 to 26 degrees.

AC in room worked for part of the first day but failed my first evening. Called front desk and maint "reset" the AC and it worked for another couple hours. That first night the room was very hot and had to leave the window open which made for a very poor first night sleep. The pub next door was loud until 3am. Next day informed the front desk of the AC problem and they had maint "reset" the AC. Only worked for a few hours. The agreed to move me to another room. When I got back to the hotel my "new" rooms AC didn't work at all. They asked me to give it a few hours to work but it never did blow any cold air and actually very little air. I spoke to the front desk again and this time they told me the hotel doesn't actually have AC but instead the unit just heats or blows air. I knew this was not true as my traveling companion had a room with very comfortable AC blowing cold air. The next morning (day 3) I spoke to the manager and asked for either a new room with AC or to have the unit repaired. On day three they replaced the unit and it blew plenty of cold air. Very disappointed that a front desk employee would tell me that the rooms do not have AC when I knew they did. It should not have taken 3 days to solve this problem based on how much I paid for this room.

Another issued occurred when laundry was dropped off at the front desk, before 6am but was not sent out for 2 days.

Picked this location for public transit reasons and it was located right next to the train station.

A pub across the street but no real restaurants close. 10 min walk minimum.

Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not select a room facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jkm2730
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel.

I was pleased to see that we were able to assist you with an early check in during our very busy season so you could relax before enjoying sightseeing around Dublin. As you so rightly pointed our the Hotel is close to both many of Dublin's bus routes and the DART station is but minutes walk away which is an ideal way for exploring the wonderful Howth and Dun Laoighre areas of Dublin.

I am very sorry to read that you had some issues during your stay and I would love the oppurtunity to discuss these issues further so we could come to some satisfactory conclusion. My email address is mairead.cullinane@ocallaghanhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.