“Great location - friendly staff”

O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel
Ranked #60 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Great location - friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our family of five stayed here for two nights and very happy with our visit. We were able to walk to many places we wanted to see including Trinity College, the National Museum and Grafton street. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The breakfast was very good, and the rooms comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed a comfortable stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in our well appointed rooms. I am glad you were please with the service our team provided as we aim to provide first class service at all times. I will pass your kind comments onto Chef as he is constantly upgrading breakfast and he will be delighted with such positive feedback.

As you so rightly pointed out the Hotel is in a fantastic location close to Dublin's many and varied attractions many of which such as Grafton Street and Trinity College just minutes away.

We would love to welcome you and the family back to the Hotel the next time you are visiting Dublin

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed at the Alexander recently while visiting Dublin on business and was pretty underwhelmed. While the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms could use a bit of attention. Immediately upon entering the room, which was decent size, I noticed a musty smell. I later discovered that the smell was coming from the bathroom; likely the shower curtain. The bed was fairly comfortable but the carpet was a bit old with some stains. When I went to close the curtains, I discovered that the hook they were hanging from was falling out of the wall with a lot of missing drywall. There were three phones in the room, but no actual alarm clock (there was one built into the t.v., but it was very small and difficult to see). All in all, the room wasn't horrible, but as previous reviewers indicate, there was a lot of noise at night due to the pub next-door, air conditioning units on nearby rooftops and some light traffic sounds. The location of the hotel is good if you're willing to walk a few blocks to access shopping and entertainment. We did have breakfast in the hotel which was good - along with the service. As I mentioned, all in all the Alexander isn't a bad place to stay; however, until they do some updating you'll pay a 4 star price for a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: While the Alexander offers free wifi, you'll need to request a room on a lower level if you plan...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.

Many thanks for the kind comments about the team and their excellent service. I will be sure to pass them on as praise for a job well done is the best job satisfaction of all. I am sorry to see you were slightly disapointed in your room in general. The Hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment during the coming months which should resolve any issues you found during your stay.

As you pointed out the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel is in an excellent location both in terms of access to Dublin many attractions as well as a wide variety of shops and entertainment locations.

I would love the opportunity to showcase the Hotel to you the next time you visit Dublin

Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here on our honeymoon in April 2012. The staff was friendly and helpful, the service was excellent, and the special meal I paid for was fantastic! The room was extremely large, and well appointed although a bit dated. The location is in the heart of Dublin, with easy access to the majority of Dublin's attractions. Great value in the heart of Dublin!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

Many congradulations on your recent marriage and I am delighted that we at the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel contributed some way in your enjoyment of the most special holiday of your lives. I am delighted to see that you found the team and their service exceptional as we aim to provide five star service at all times. As you so rightly pointed out the hotel is in a enviable location close to Dublin's many and varied attractions.

We would love to welcome you back to the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel the next time you are in Dublin - maybe on your 1st anniversary!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent 3 days at this hotel and enjoyed it very much! The service was excellent, breakfast was very good and rooms were clean and we'll kept up! The hotel is very close to several pubs and places to eat. We would stay at O'Callaghan Alexander again...I hope soon!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for posting such a lovely review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in our well apointed and maintained rooms. Thank you for your very kind comments in relation to the team which I will most certainly pass onto them as praise for a job well done is the best motivator of all.

I would love to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting Dublin.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here 4 nights at the end of our Dublin trip. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel was in a decent location. The room was good for the most part. Have to say that the bed was one of the more uncomfortable beds I've slept in a long time. Felt like I was sleeping in a hole. Didn't have one good night sleep. TV was really small too but the rest of the hotel was fine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian A
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor.

Many thanks for your kind comments about the team which I will be sure to pass these on as praise for a job well done is the best safisfaction of all.

I am sorry that you found the beds uncomfortable. The hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment over the coming months and this should resolve any issues you might have had. Should you be returning to Dublin in the future I would love to showcase the hotel to you. When you are next returning to Dublin if you would like to contact me directly on mairead.cullinane@ocallaghanhotels.com I will ensure you enjoy a comfortable stay with us.

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here at the beginning of our 19 day vacation to the UK.
Really was a very nice hotel but a little further from the things we went to Dublin to see.
Still within walking distance but we walked by many other hotels to get here. That is no fault of the Alexander Hotel or their employees who were very knowledgable about the usual tourist questions.
The rooms were spotless and we had a very good two night stay!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel and you appreciated our exceptionally high standard of cleaniness in all our well appointed rooms.

Many thanks for our kind comments about the team which I will ensure to pass on as praise is the best motivator of all and we always love to hear that our first class service has contributed to your comfortable stay in Dublin.

I am sorry that you found the Hotel to be a distance away from some of Dublin's attractions but when you are next in Dublin maybe we could show you how close we are to Merrion Square and the HopOn HopOff City Bus Tour which is an amazing way to see our city.

I would love the oppurtunity to welcome you and the family back to the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in the near future

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Great location and high quality staff with great tips for tourists in Dublin as thanks to Colin who helped us enjoy our stay in Dublin more then ever. Great food with a wide selection. I would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends as the location is ideal.

Stayed June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Tripadvisor

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel. Situated as it is right in the heart of the city you so rightly pointed out that the Hotel is in a perfect location for our guests to enjoy many of Dublin's varied attractions.

However you wonderful comments about the team are the best praise of all. All the team strive to provide excellent service at all times and we are delighted when we get such fantastic feedback knowing that we contributed in some way to your stay. Colin is a valued member of the team and I will ensure that I let him know you specially mentioned his assistance.

I would love to welcome you back to the Hotel as would the rest of the team the next time you pay a visit to Dublin