“Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Huntsville, TX
“Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here two nights in July at the beginning of our trip. The hotel is convenient to the train station and is an easy walk to the Trinity College area. It is located in a quiet area. Breakfast was wholesome and had a lot of variety. Service was pleasant. The Lobby Bar is nice. Internet worked just fine for us. It is good to hear that some renovations will be done on this hotel as the rooms and lobby/reception desk could use a little refreshing. The hotel façade is architecturally very nice and rather grand. There is a park nearby, which I regret, we did not visit. Looked like a great place for kids to unwind.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I was so happy to read your very kind words following your recent stay with us at The O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in particular your kind comment in relation to the team which I will of course pass on to them as there is no better satisfaction than prasie for a job well done.

As you so rightly pointed out the hotel is in a wonderful location close to the city centre and many of Dublin's many and varied attractions are within close proximity. And of course we are well serviced by the DART station which is just two minutes walk away as well many of the City's bus routes. Both Merrion Square and St Stephen's Green are just around the corner which provide a welcome peaceful retreat within the city centre.

The hotel is undergoing major refurbishment within the coming months and I would love the opportunity to welcome you back when this is complete.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
Levittown, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The staff was very friendly at checkin. When going to our room the hallways were very clean and the carpet looked new. The room was a nice size. The tv was as another reviewer stated out of the 90's. The bathroom had mold on the shower tiles. The bed was ok. The lobby was fine but the hotel did not have an ATM? They sent me around the corner to a deli type store that had a ATM.
The bartenders were very nice and friendly. This is a 3 star not a four.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Our guest feedback is very important to the overall running of our hotel and affords me the opportunity of reviewing and improving the hotel’s facilities and service. I am delighted you found our team friendly and welcoming as it our aim at all times to make your stay with us a comfortable as possible.

I am sorry to see you had some issues with your room. I have passed your comments onto the Accommodation Supervisor who is investigating. The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment in the coming months and I would welcome the opportunity to show you the hotel when you are next in Dublin

If you would like to contact me directly on mairead.cullinane@ocallaghanhotels.com I will ensure my personal attention should stay with us again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Alexander hosted a family wedding recently and the staff were unbelievably helpful. Great hotel and right near the shopping areas around Stephens Green and Grafton St. Rooms good quality and breakfast was great - plenty of hot food options. But the staff are the best thing about the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time for positng a review of your stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here. Given that a Wedding day is one ofthe most important days of a couples lives I are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Wedding and that we as a team made this day a little bit more special. I am delighted that we have exceeded your expectations as our great team here are passionate about creating the most positive and memorable experiences for our guests.

I hope this was not your last experience with us and thus look forward to your return in the very near future special.

Eire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked this hotel at short notice. It was not my first choice of hotels in Dublin but I gave it a try. Walking into the hotel you can't be but impressed by the lobby/bar - it is very pretty and the reception staff very friendly - I was off to a good start.

Hoever, my room was a major disappointment. The TV system is like something from the 1990's. The bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. The fact that I was paying €150 a night for this is quite outrageous. This is a 3 star hotel with 4 star prices. I stayed 2 nights and after the first night the toiletries (shampoo etc) were not replenished so I was left with none for the 2nd morning. This is not what you shoudl expect for €150 a night. Would not recommend and will not go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for you rencent review on Tripadvisor

I was very pleased to read your kind comments about the Reception team. Please be assured I will pass them onto the team as the best satisfaction is a job well done. I know how pleased everyone will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an exceptional experience have been appreciated. Comments such as these are extremely encouraging to our team and make it all worthwhile!

I was disappointed however to see that you have some issues with the bedroom. The Hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment in the coming months which should rectify any issues you may have had during your stay. I would be very greatful if you would contact me directly so that we could discuss the matter further and maybe encourage you to make a return vist to the hotel. My email address is mairead.cullinane@ocallaghanhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you

County Laois, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recently attended this hotel for a gaming event. This was not my first time going to a hotel for a gaming event but it was the first time we have been treated so well by staff. Rather than calling anyone "geeky" or laughing at people dressed up, every staff member was exceptionally friendly to all the people attending and actively engaged with the attendees and even took part. Staff went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable. Food is great quality and good value. Overall had an amazing visit to the hotel. Big props to Gordon and Keith and also to Antonio and Darrell.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jaffty21
Thank you so much for taking the time for posting a review on Tripadvisor

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your event in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel and may I say we were delighted to have you all. Gordon, Keith, Antonio and Darelle are all valued members of the team here and I will be certain to pass on your wonderful comments to them. We like to feel that all our guests both staying with us or attending conferences are offered our first class service and I am very pleased to see that you found this to be so. All your participants were polite, well mannered and great fun over your two day event - the costumes were amazing!

We would love to see you returning to the Hotel in the future.

East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our family of five stayed here for two nights and very happy with our visit. We were able to walk to many places we wanted to see including Trinity College, the National Museum and Grafton street. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The breakfast was very good, and the rooms comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mairead C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed a comfortable stay with us here in the O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel in our well appointed rooms. I am glad you were please with the service our team provided as we aim to provide first class service at all times. I will pass your kind comments onto Chef as he is constantly upgrading breakfast and he will be delighted with such positive feedback.

As you so rightly pointed out the Hotel is in a fantastic location close to Dublin's many and varied attractions many of which such as Grafton Street and Trinity College just minutes away.

We would love to welcome you and the family back to the Hotel the next time you are visiting Dublin

Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed at the Alexander recently while visiting Dublin on business and was pretty underwhelmed. While the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms could use a bit of attention. Immediately upon entering the room, which was decent size, I noticed a musty smell. I later discovered that the smell was coming from the bathroom; likely the shower curtain. The bed was fairly comfortable but the carpet was a bit old with some stains. When I went to close the curtains, I discovered that the hook they were hanging from was falling out of the wall with a lot of missing drywall. There were three phones in the room, but no actual alarm clock (there was one built into the t.v., but it was very small and difficult to see). All in all, the room wasn't horrible, but as previous reviewers indicate, there was a lot of noise at night due to the pub next-door, air conditioning units on nearby rooftops and some light traffic sounds. The location of the hotel is good if you're willing to walk a few blocks to access shopping and entertainment. We did have breakfast in the hotel which was good - along with the service. As I mentioned, all in all the Alexander isn't a bad place to stay; however, until they do some updating you'll pay a 4 star price for a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: While the Alexander offers free wifi, you'll need to request a room on a lower level if you plan...