“Mosquitoes”

Ranked #76 of 105 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Barcelona, Spain
“Mosquitoes”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

When I arrived the receptionist told me that it was not correct to check in so late, it was a bit rude.

The room where I slept was in the corner between St Patrick Street and Eustace Street (Street of temple bar) the windows was open and the curtains were like transparent then the room was very very noisy and light, and the beds were unconfortable marking all the springs in the back. The shower with musty and there wasn't kitchen.

And the worst thing is that I'm in Dublin from around 1 month ago and never any mosquito beat me, in Apache Hostel there was 2 mosqitoes that beat me and after it never happened again.
I don't know what they have in the Hostel but is the first time where I saw mosquitoes in Ireland.

Anyway, the location is great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jobonmu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Inishmore, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2013

It is difficult to recommend it ... tiny rooms, tiny bathrooms, cleanliness could be better and sleep quality so so ...

BUT it's very cheap, it's a great place to meet people and it's super centrally located!

IF: you are visiting Dublin on a budget, for the first time, with friends, you are not looking forward to sleeping....... it is the right place for you!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eli E
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Had to come here because the Barnacles Hostel, a quite decent one practicing similar prices, was full. Nothing works. Not even te pizza discount offered. This is the first hostel of oven 30 I stayed in my life without a kitchen. The atmosphere is really bad, there are some suspicious people loitering in the restaurant beside it. Not even a single person here speaks English. The Internet signal is quite bad, and the computers offered don't work. I wanted to leave and asked my money back, the guy first refused and then offered to give me only 10 ero back. Now I am considering bringing this to the attention of Garda. Please read the reviews and avoid this nasty place

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank Lcfreitasf

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Ennis, Clare, Ireland
Reviewed 28 December 2012

My partner and I booked a double room but when we got there they had forgotten us and we ended up with bunkbeds! We didn't expect much for the price, it was a last minute trip to Dublin for a concert so we just put up with it and put it down to experience but it really was terrible. The booking said tea/coffee facilities were in our room but they were not. Also my partner had to hold the curtain when I changed my clothes as it didn't properly cover the window which opened on to a main street. The only reason I was able to sleep was because I was drunk!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KiaraOR
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The most disgusting dirt filled cesspool i have ever had the displeasure of setting foot in! The front door was constantly UNLOCKED, there was no one checking who was walking in and out of the place and if they were supposed to be there or not. We had to casually stroll past the OPEN kitchen area if the pizza place, up the filthiest set of stairs ever and into our UNLOCKED room, where all of the beds were in an absolute state. I doubt any of the sheets had been cleaned ever. We found it difficult to distinguish between the occupied beds and our ones. A sleepless and unsettling night later I get out the dirty top bunk (with no rungs at all on the ladder so i nearly had to step on the man's face beneath me to get down) to find blood all over the floor. And into the bathroom where i found the most disgusting toilet and a sink covered in what can only be described as pubic hair and filth.
This place is pure filth. I can't believe they are even charging people to stay here. I'm pretty sure I caught some air-born disease in the place. What made it worse is that they were selling food from the place downstairs. That just can't be safe or healthy for anybody. The only redeeming feature about it was where it was located , but I woud have felt safer and more comfortable sleeping on the pavement outside. Paid for two nights in the place, spent 6 hours there, about 6 hours too long.
I genuinely felt bad for not warning the people checking in as we left about what they were about to endure.
Every time i see an Apache Pizza place i feel ill remembering what i saw in that hostel attached to one. Vile!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tasha L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hostel is anything but luxury but hey i was more tham happy to have stayed here. Didnt expect much and didnt receive much. I stayed in twin bedroom with just bunk bed, a small table and 1 chair and oh, a bin. No wardrobes or fridge etc. The room was old and needed to be painted, ceiling looked as if it was suffering from damp and the bunk bed was very sqeaky.
The room did smell a bit but we just opened the window which dealt with that small issue. The bed linen was clean but old. Shared toilets were very basic and dated but clean. They do have hot water 24/7 including a shower. They do provide toilet tissue, soap and toothpaste. The staff are ok, they do help but since the staff also manage the pizza restaurant they do take their time. The restuarant is part of the same building. The location couldnt be better. You 1 mins walk away from Temple bar which is full off pubs and restuarants. The reception area has a sofa to sit down and relax. Most people sit in the reception area to use the wifi as wifi is a bit flaky when youre in your room. All of the main sights are with walking distance. At the end of the day im not going to complain because we paid very little to stay here. The room did its job for us and i would stay here again if saving money was a priority.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank zak809
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The room was so dirty that we could not wait to leave again. There were hairs on the floor everywhere and stains on the wall and a tea stain on the bedside cabinet, proving that they had not cleaned the room between guests. It was absolutely terrible.

The bathrooms were really dirty as well - with so many people using them, they need to get cleaned regularly but the only time they were cleaned was once in the morning and by noon they floor was really dirty, full of muddy shoe prints and hair.

They obviously don't know anything about hygiene. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

And it gets really loud in the evenings because the windows onoly have single glazing and people in the streets are shouting until 4am. Luckily I had earplugs but my brother didn't - I felt so sorry for him.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family