“Disappointing”
Review of Whitefriar Grill

Whitefriar Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Whitefriar Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 2,701 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$14 - US$32
Cuisines: French, Irish, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South City Centre
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We went here with a group on a Friday evening. While we were early to catch the early bird deal, we were disappointed to find the restaurant very quiet. The restaurant is nicely decorated however some of the staff seemed disinterested in their job and in serving us and taking our orders.
The choices on the early bird menu left me little to select from with only the black pudding starter (bit small) and a burger appealing to me.
But I suppose when you are on an early bird you have to settle your choices.
Both dishes were tasty but did not wow me.
The rest of our party all were satisfied with their dishes as well and we found no major fault with anything.
Maybe we caught them on a bad night for atmosphere seeing as ratings are generally good here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed 23 April 2012

What a find!! This is a terrific little restaurant. The food is incredible, they have a great wine list and the place is cozy and clean. Went there twice over a long weekend because the food was so great. Have the duck shepherd's pie and the grand marnier creme brulee!!

1  Thank SnTinEU
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Spent a number of hours in this most pleasant setting tonight. Great company helped by an equally helpful staff member Nigel who deserves a medal for putting up with us. The food was delicious & plentiful. Absolutely no complaints about starter & main which were followed by a desert & delicious coffee.
A lovely place to dine and I wish it every success.

1  Thank agingtravelerIreland
Reviewed 18 April 2012

After arriving in Dublin after an international flight with no sleep, I didn't want to go to the Whitefriar grill. I wanted to go to bed. A couple of cocktails mixed with flair along with a pretty grand burger soon sorted that out. The food was great. The place had a lively, fun atmosphere and is one of the best places I've dined out in Dublin over many years. A great addition to the Dublin food scene.

1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Had dinner on 13/04 at Whitefriar and lived up to my expectations. I had half a dozen oysters as a started which were excellent whilst my fiancee had the calamari/gambas salad which also was very good. We both had the surf and turf as main. Steak was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and presentation was excellet. Not a big fan of the chips (which seems to be a trend in most restaurants nowadays; why can't chefs serve proper chips) and would have liked some pepper sauce on the side but the quality of the beef more than made up for those small details. Shared a trio of ice-creams/sorbets for dessert which was nice.

Had a very good Rioja (€31; great value) to accompany dinner. Service was excellent throughout.

Shall return very soon