“Actually I lot better then I thought it was going to be!”
Review of Revenue Museum

Revenue Museum
Ranked #197 of 506 things to do in Dublin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Actually I lot better then I thought it was going to be!”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Went to the museum on cultural night and was pleasently surprised it was actually quite interesting

Visited October 2011
1 Thank HelenaD8

Leinster, Ireland
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Who would have thought that Revenue is so interesting!”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I walked into this The Revenue Museum by accident, and was pleasantly surprised! Situated in the grounds of Dublin Castle, I went into this museum thinking that I was going into the crypt of the church above, I was actually in the crypt but not one with ancient church relics but the Irish Revenue Museum.

The museum is dedicated to customs and excise of the Irish Free State since it was formed back in the Twenties. Even though the title Revenue suggests that this area is one most would avoid or at least think boring, this is far from the truth.

The exhibition areas are housed as I mentioned before in an atmospheric crypt. On the walls are a little history (not too much) of Irish Revenue, taxes, customs and excise. This leads into the larger exhibition area which in its own way is quite astounding. It displays items ceased by the custom officers I won't give too much away all I will say is that you would be amazed what people try to get away with! There is also a display showing how things are retrieved if you are caught smuggling items such as drugs in your body!

This is a very small museum at does not take too much time to see all. The staff are very friendly and always ready to answer questions and tell you all about tax, customs and getting caught!

Here is more info taken from the website:
A graphic and interactive exhibition of Tax and Customs collection, protection and accounting from the distant past to the present in the Revenue Museum,
Lower Yard, Dublin Castle (Crypt of the Chapel).

Open: Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.

Visited January 2011