“A must for all travelers to Dublin (especially solo)”

City of a Thousand Welcomes
Ranked #65 of 235 Tours in Dublin
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit the Little Museum of Dublin for more information on this award-winning civic initiative. We look forward to welcoming you to Dublin.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

What a wonderful idea! A visitor to Dublin meets with a local (volunteer) ambassador and you visit over a cup of tea or a pint in a pub. I wish EVERY major city had a program like this. When scheduling the visit, you fill out a simple questionnaire that asks for your age, number of people in your party, hobbies, etc. This information helps an ambassador pick someone with similar interests. I mentioned that I enjoy hiking, running, and reading and was met by my ambassador, Brian, a 5th generation Dubliner. We went to a place called Bewleys where we had a pint and talked for the next 2.5 hours. He gave me some great recommendations of places to go hiking in the near area. We also talked of traveling, the history of Ireland, and life in general. One of the best parts of traveling is meeting new people from different places around the world and learning from them. The "City of a Thousand Welcomes" program makes this easy and enjoyable. Highly recommend for any visitor to Dublin.

3  Thank Tammy E
Elena_Hall, Guest Relations Manager at City of a Thousand Welcomes, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Wow! Thank you for such a fantastic review. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time with Brian so much. I hope you got a chance to visit some of the hiking locations he mentioned and that you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Dublin. We would love to welcome you back on your next visit!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My friend and I (2 girls) signed up with A City of a Thousand Welcomes after reading about it through Rick Steves. One of the best moves we made while backpacking Europe! The Little Museum was very easy to find. We were about ten minutes late and flustered after running, yes running, across all of Dublin. We even ran past the Molly Malone statue that I saw, but my friend did not =/ We met with Simon who then appointed us to one of their volunteers, Mark. Simon and Mark told us to relax and calm down, sit on the couch and have a sweet...I guess it was evident we were not relaxed, local Irishmen! At the time, we had the option of having our meeting at an art museum, a cafe, or a pub. We chose the pub, and I believe we had 4 drink vouchers. This is free and we got about 20 Euro worth of brew and met with a very cool Irish local who told us the hole-in-the-wall eats and the best places to go during our visit. Mark was a couple of years older than us, so it was really great meeting with someone close to our age. I think they plan that according to your age group when you sign up. Regardless, he would be great to speak with any age group!! Although we went last St. Patrick's Day Week/Weekend in 2013, I am very late in rating our visit, but Ireland and their great hospitality still is as fresh on my mind as it was while experiencing it!!

3  Thank Emily031713

Wow! I'm so glad that you had such a great time with Mark. I hope you had an equally great visit of the rest of Dublin as well as in the rest of the European cities you're planning to backpack through. We would be delighted to welcome you back again whenever you're back in Dublin.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My friend and I had a lovely time with our ambassador in Dublin! We went to Bewley's Cafe and had a bite to eat with some tea - all paid for by the City of a Thousands Welcomes! Our guide was so kind and helpful. We had fun picking her brain about what to see and do in the city and also loved hearing about her experiences in Dublin. I highly recommend you make this your first stop in Dublin - it really sets your visit off on the right foot!

2  Thank hyperhobbit07

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I'm so happy you enjoyed your welcome to our city. I hope the Dublin information you got from your guide made your visit of the city even more enjoyable. We would love to welcome you back whenever you're back in Dublin.

Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

This is such a lovely and informative start to any trip to Dublin. Kevin our guide was a friendly, interesting man who was happy to give up his own time to make us feel welcome in his hometown, he took us for drinks at one of three places of our choice and happily chatted away to us about things we could see and do and then life in general. Not only a great hour meeting somebody new but also a heartwarming feeling knowing somebody has willingly volunteered their time to help make others smile! Thank You! xx

5  Thank Laura T

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with Kevin. I hope you had an equally enjoyable trip of the rest of Dublin. We are always looking to improve this experience so if you have any suggestions we would be delighted to hear them.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We had been on a plane for 28 hours so were feeling rather tired and jet lagged but we were booked into a 5pm slot. Well it was the best thing for us. Firstly, Mick who met us was friendly, informative and very interesting. He took us for a walk and his cheerfulness and informative manner kept us wake and alert. We were taken to afternoon tea at a a 5 star hotel where we talked for ages. Jet lag was forgotten. We received some really good ideas as to where to go and what to see and also a bit of the history. Really recommend this.

2  Thank frizzy63

Wow! I'm so pleased that you had such an enjoyable time with Mick. I hope that the tips and information he gave you made your visit of Dublin even more fun. We are always striving to improve this experience so if you have any suggestions, we would love to hear them.