“Rude manager/owner”

Seven Social
Price range: US$8 - US$39
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Award winning Irish restaurant using locally sourced produce.
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Been here a few times. Today after paying €65 for a main and desert we were harassed by the owner/manger as we left because we hadn't left a tip. He said the staff weren't paid well

I wasn't aware it was my job to make up the wages for employers who underpay their staff...wouldn't mind but it was the same guy who served us...I'd think a manager/owner would be paid well..

Nothing better than harassment at Christmas time...I thought people were friendlier at Christmas

never again

6  Thank James D
Sinead B, Owner at Seven Social, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear James,
I'm afraid you mistake assertiveness for rudeness.
Your partner had already left a review about this, please see reply below.
Peter K.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Two of us popped in for a bite to eat today.

We were told the place was all booked up, but it was empty, we asked the manager/owner if we would have time for a main. He told us we would, that there wasn't a booking for an hour. We had our food €65 for two mains and some desert. Food was OK...nothing spectacular.

Anyway we finished up and were heading out the door when the manager ran out after us and asked why we hadn't left a tip. He said the staff weren't paid well (he served us and as manager/owner I assume he gets paid OK). After paying so much for food, this was incredibly rude, in my view.

We have gone here several times before as we are local. This will be our last visit.

The place has erratic opening hours and even though it's empty is often "booked out"

One time we were there they served us gone off muscles (they smelled awful) when we sent them back this same manger argued they were fine...my friend often eats/picks muscles and knows the difference...so the food was begrudgingly changed to something else, with plenty of attitude to go with it

If this is the way they treat customers I am surprised anyone shows up at all

If you do decide to go make sure you bring a tip...

5  Thank JohnOR13

Dear John,

It is clear you felt embarassed & angry by being called on never tipping, so decided to leave two negative reviews. Which is surprising as you have dined with us many times, praised the food on every occasion, yet not once left a tip. It is common courtesy if you are happy with food & service to leave a tip. You should not need a restauranteur to educate you on this.

You had a 3 course meal for 2 with wine, this came to 65 Euro. All this for organic produce and bio-dynamic wine, in my opinion, it's excellent value. I assume if the food was overpriced, we would not see you here as often.

I approached you and your partner and asked if you like the food in the restaurant and you both confirmed the food is great, I believe you said ''spectacular''.

Then I asked you if you're happy with the service - you confirmed again that you were very happy.

I finally asked why you have never left a tip. Your partner replied that you are locals and you don't tip.

It is common knowledge that the majority of restaurant staff are on close to minimum wage and rely on tips. I did not say staff are underpaid, in fact the rate we offer is very generous, but hours are only part time & tips are appreciated. You said you would take that into consideration next time you dine with us.

In your review you also mention an incident with mussels. As I recall you didn't like the smell of the dish and sent it back on the basis that mussels were dead.

I pointed out that all of our food is fresh and if the mussels were dead, they would not open. Because you were regulars, we did replace your dish without charging you.

We also have seen a lot of you and your partner since.

The good news is there are more choices in the area for you to dine in. The bad news is it won't be easy to find a restaurant with as many award plaques on the door & rave reviews from food critics.
Peter K.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

What sort of establishment accepts a booking, shuts the restaurant & fails to contact the intending diners to inform them the restaurant is shut??? This is exactly what happened on Thurs 21/11/2013 when I arrived at Social Seven. Despite having made a reservation & provided a telephone contact number we arrived to discover the restaurant shut & a notice on the blackboard outside to this effect. Unprofessional and unacceptable treatment of potential customers.

5  Thank Patch9000
Sinead B, General Manager at Seven Social, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

All customers with reservations were contacted and spoken to directly by me to reschedule their bookings. The only reservation that we could not cancel in time was yours, as you booked through email & did NOT provide a contact number.

Your booking was confirmed by email on the Wednesday (day before your reservation) & we also explained we have works going on in the restaurant but hope to open the following day. You were emailed the next day (the day of your reservation) to tell you the works are not complete & we would have to cancel the booking.

You replied at 1am with an angry email. To which we replied that had you provided a contact number, we could have contacted you directly giving you plenty of notice. I am disappointed you felt the need to bend the truth, regarding your booking, in your review. We requested contact details & did not get them. We contacted you through the only communication channel you provided us, email.
Our voicemail, website & outside board were updated saying we were closed on those days.

We are located in an old building, which adds character to our restaurant but has caused problems recently. We were closed for 3 days last week due to structural work being carried out on the rear of the premises. It was not safe to open the premises to customers until this work was complete. We are moving shortly and will then have no further structural issues to stop us opening. We were very disappointed to have to cancel reservations lastweek, but as I explained in the email to you, the safety of our customers comes first.

We genuinely aim to please all customers and are disappointed we were not able to accomodate you on this occasion.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

It's fantastic having so many lovely new places open close to where I live and it's great to see a bit more life around Smithfield. I had been dying to get to Seven Social for a while but could never seem to find it open when i was walking past. So I was delighted when I was able to get a voucher for it and reserved a table for 6 on Saturday night. When we arrived we were the only people there so we were able to sit at the lower table. I was delighted as the tall stools look pretty uncomfortable. It's a very small space but it's well laid out and the toilet is in a little area out the back. There is a lovely table in the window that's perfect for a larger group too.

Having looked at the menu online beforehand I had thought that it was a little unusual. But the food was fantastic. Our waitress was very friendly indeed and helpful without being over-bearing and we didn't feel uncomfortable at all even though initially we were the only people there. It started to get much busier just as we were leaving!

We decided to share a seafood platter to start and it was delicious! Possibly one of the nicest smoked salmons I have ever had. For my main I had the fish of the day which was cod and was perfectly cooked on a beautiful bed of crab and dill mash. My boyfriend had the scallops and pork belly and it was a truly different and incredibly tasty dish. We decided against desserts but they all sounded really lovely and our wine was very nice. They seemed to have a pretty good selection of both red and white wines.

All in all we had a really fantastic evening and would definitely go back and recommend this restaurant to others.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The food here is fresh, freshly cooked, imaginatively presented - its good. The place is tiny and has very uncomfortable high seating and tables. Its overpriced.

2  Thank Fiutzwilton

Thank you for your review, but we believe you are wrong - please see below.

Our fish is always fresh & wild. If it is farmed, it is bought from organic Irish fish farms. Our portions sizes are cut by us to 300g/10oz (standard restaurant sized fillets are 150g/5oz).

We do not price sides (vegetables & carbs) as an addition on the menu. All dishes are served with a carb and a selection of specifically matching vegetables. So there are no hidden charges and the cost of your dinner is not increased by having to order extra side dishes.

Our food is GMO free, pestiside free & sustainably sourced from local farmers (standard restaurant produce comes from large scale suppliers that buy mass produced pesticide sprayed vegetables grown in greenhouses in Holland & Egypt - this is extremely damaging to your body & does not support our Island!)

Our beef comes from a fully traceable organic farm & the pork you are eating is reared by us, then butchered for us. Our pigs are fed organic grain & are an Irish rare-breed variety that is particularly suited to eating, hence the tastiest pork possible (98% of the pork being supplied to Dublin restaurants comes from a selection of 4 suppliers and I can assure you all of it has been injected with brines & preservatives. This is the reason we decided to rear our own animals for the restaurant, to assure we were providing natural, delicous meat that hasn't been tainted by chemicals).

We offer award winning 100% natural wines and serve them by carafe - €16.50 per 750ml. That is the best priced wine in the city and it isnt tainted by chemical processes in the vineyard. Also, we have not increased our alcohol prices at all, even though the government has imposed an excise increase twice - in 2012 & 2013. We have taken the hit on that to continue to offer value for money to our customers.

Our main courses cost €16 to €22. For this you are getting organic, natural produce. You have all side dishes included in that price & we are known for our big portions (standard restaurant prices in Dublin for main courses are €22 to €30, the portions are kept small to make you order 3 courses and you are guaranteed they are not giving you chemical free meat).

In closing, we believe we offer value for money. We do not comapre ourselves to other establishments, but if we did, it is clear we offer bigger portions at a better price.
If you consider the quality of food & drink we are serving, along with the generous portion size, we are going above & beyond in the value stakes.