“nice place. nice location. very helpful staff”

O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse
Ranked #8 of 148 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had to get a very late check in on Sunday night. I had it set up in advance and (sorry I can't remember his name it may be Jerry.) He was very nice when we met him at the Pub. He gave me his cell phone. Sunday night at 9 pm, I called when I was on the way and he let us in and carried our bags up the strairs. He was so helpful and nice. We liked the location and proximity to Temple bar area. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nashville_Cat77
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted to hear that you would return here again .

Reviewed 6 November 2013

In the middle of Dublin city centre just opposite Trinity College and close to the river Liffey and Temple Bar this pub offers very spacious rooms, excellent bath rooms and a wonderful Irish breakfast in the kitchen/sitting room, the staff is very friendly and helpful, great experience

Room Tip: Choose a room that is declared "spacious".
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Silke W

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with your room. Many thanks for choosing O'Neill's for your stay in Dublin and we hope that you will return here again sometime.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I'm trying to like this place (here now for another two nights)' but they are not making it easy. Arrived yesterday, confirmation in hand, and the place was all locked up, no one to be found. While I was trying to figure out what to do another guest came along and let me in. No management to be found so I left my suitcase and headed out for some exploring. Came back several hours later, still no one. Walked a couple of blocks and found a pay phone and by then the pub downstairs was opening so came back and checked in. Made up my mind to just let it go. Stuff happens. However now here I sit in my room, waiting for somewhere to sit for breakfast. Sundays breakfast starts at 9 , pretty late by my standards but no big deal. I go down at shortly after 9 and there is no space available and they tell me they will come to my room and let me know when there is a spot .
I'm jet legged, want to get my day started and starting to consider checking out and booking somewhere that might actually want to look after their guests. Unless there is a huge turn around I cannot recommend this place. It's no great bargain , the location is just okay not amazing and I am sure you can do better .
Hope to feel the famous Irish hospitality soon.

Room Tip: You will want a back room front is very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank travelinnana15
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

I am sorry that a member of our management team was not on hand to greet you on your arrival but it seems we were busy serving breakfast when you arrived and while we have no problem with guests arriving early to leave their luggage here, we do state on websites that our check in time is after 2pm in order for us to be able to attend to our existing overnight guests. As you saw for yourself the following morning, breakfast is a busy time for us which unfortunately meant there was no table available for you when you came down, we try to serve everybody as quickly as we can so my apologies if we delayed your day too much. I wish you could have given us a chance before you wrote your review as it sounds like it was written while you were waiting for your breakfast table on the first morning of your 4 night stay here. I hope in the end that we did live up to your expectations, but having written your review before you left here we will never know.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here our first night in Ireland, extremely jet-lagged and looking for some rest. The rooms were quite large and quite clean. The owner was very friendly and accommodating. We arrived on a Sunday when the pub was closed and he was waiting for us when we arrived. The street outside can get a bit noisy, however if you close the window's you can have a very nice nights sleep. There were not many places to eat in the area, however everything is pretty much walking distance if you're up for a 15-20 minute walk or so. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin T

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you here again in the future

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Judging from some of the previous reviews it seems we arrived on a bad day. The weather didn't help as it was cold and rainy. We arrived in the evening to find all the windows in the room open and the radiators not on. We could not turn them on. Maurice was the only one on duty and he was minding the bar and could not help so warmth was slow in coming. Also, the restaurant was closed and we hoping to eat there not wanting to go out again. So not a good start.
Having said that, the room was nice, a triple on the top floor. The trains were no problem as we didn't have the windows open! The location was handy for Trinity and Temple Bar, and the breakfasts were fine.
We were there two nights but never felt "at home" as we have in other b&bs

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank shrimper67

I am sorry that your room was cold on arrival due to the windows been left open. It was the first cold night of an amazingly warm summer so we were caught off guard. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our breakfast but disappointed you did not feel at home like so many others who stay with us. I hope you would give us another chance to rectify the situation should you ever visit Dublin again.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

The best part of this B&B is the location and the food. We 'pigged out' on their wonderful Irish breakfasts. The hosts were very nice and friendly. And the food and drink at the pub downstairs was amazing. My only complaints were the noise from the street and the late noise from the pub. Our room was right on the street and since there is no need for air conditioning in Ireland, we had to leave our windows open slightly. I happen to be very sensitive to noise, so I had to use my earplugs to get any sleep. The beds were OK, although not outstanding. Other than that, this was a great place.

Room Tip: Great place to stay if noise is not an issue. And if you like the very close proximity to the pub...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ppkhalsa
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Maurice and all the staff are loves! The atmosphere is most inviting and we were made to feel right at home! The rooms are beautifully decorated and their breakfasts are wonderful! To top it off, my husband left his cell phone and we were waiting for a plane. Maurice took time out of his busy day to have a taxi bring the cell phone to the airport! You will not only enjoy a wonderfully inviting and cozy ambience, a very authentic and delightful pub, but some of the nicest people you'll ever meet! A short stroll to town makes this a delightful place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eastham1995
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us but it was indeed our pleasure to host such lovely people like yourselves. I''m also glad the taxi got there in time with your husband's phone. Many thanks for staying with us and hopefully we will meet both of your here again someday.