“One of the best pubs in Dublin”

O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse
Ranked #9 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I used to work down the street from this pub, and spent many happy evenings in it. Unlike a lot of the "tourist" pubs over in the Temple Bar area, this one is a legitimate and great local hangout. I have never stayed here overnight, but have eaten and raised a few glasses after work. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank FrankHutch
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and we look forward to your return here someday.

There are newer reviews for O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We recently stayed 2 weeks at O'Neills and loved it. The location is perfect - close enough to everything but not caught up in the Temple Bar craziness. The room was charming and comfortable, the staff warm and welcoming, and the food great. The pub downstairs was a great place to end (or start) the evenings. We immediately felt at home here and will definitely stay there again. And it was an exceptionally good value!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eleanor O
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Many thanks for choosing our pub & townhouse for your stay in Dublin. It was indeed our pleasure to be your hosts and we loved getting to know both of you over the two weeks and we would love to see you again in Dublin someday.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Very nice place to stay for a couple of nights in Dublin.
Just at the right distance from Temple Bar, the rooms are nice and simple, staff very dedicated and welcoming.
Enjoy the pub on the ground floor, its typical pub food and ambiance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vincent C

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with your room. Many thanks for choosing O'Neill's for your stay in Dublin and we hope that you will return here again sometime.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had to get a very late check in on Sunday night. I had it set up in advance and (sorry I can't remember his name it may be Jerry.) He was very nice when we met him at the Pub. He gave me his cell phone. Sunday night at 9 pm, I called when I was on the way and he let us in and carried our bags up the strairs. He was so helpful and nice. We liked the location and proximity to Temple bar area. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nashville_Cat77

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted to hear that you would return here again .

Reviewed 6 November 2013

In the middle of Dublin city centre just opposite Trinity College and close to the river Liffey and Temple Bar this pub offers very spacious rooms, excellent bath rooms and a wonderful Irish breakfast in the kitchen/sitting room, the staff is very friendly and helpful, great experience

Room Tip: Choose a room that is declared "spacious".
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Silke W

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with your room. Many thanks for choosing O'Neill's for your stay in Dublin and we hope that you will return here again sometime.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I'm trying to like this place (here now for another two nights)' but they are not making it easy. Arrived yesterday, confirmation in hand, and the place was all locked up, no one to be found. While I was trying to figure out what to do another guest came along and let me in. No management to be found so I left my suitcase and headed out for some exploring. Came back several hours later, still no one. Walked a couple of blocks and found a pay phone and by then the pub downstairs was opening so came back and checked in. Made up my mind to just let it go. Stuff happens. However now here I sit in my room, waiting for somewhere to sit for breakfast. Sundays breakfast starts at 9 , pretty late by my standards but no big deal. I go down at shortly after 9 and there is no space available and they tell me they will come to my room and let me know when there is a spot .
I'm jet legged, want to get my day started and starting to consider checking out and booking somewhere that might actually want to look after their guests. Unless there is a huge turn around I cannot recommend this place. It's no great bargain , the location is just okay not amazing and I am sure you can do better .
Hope to feel the famous Irish hospitality soon.

Room Tip: You will want a back room front is very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank travelinnana15
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

I am sorry that a member of our management team was not on hand to greet you on your arrival but it seems we were busy serving breakfast when you arrived and while we have no problem with guests arriving early to leave their luggage here, we do state on websites that our check in time is after 2pm in order for us to be able to attend to our existing overnight guests. As you saw for yourself the following morning, breakfast is a busy time for us which unfortunately meant there was no table available for you when you came down, we try to serve everybody as quickly as we can so my apologies if we delayed your day too much. I wish you could have given us a chance before you wrote your review as it sounds like it was written while you were waiting for your breakfast table on the first morning of your 4 night stay here. I hope in the end that we did live up to your expectations, but having written your review before you left here we will never know.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed here our first night in Ireland, extremely jet-lagged and looking for some rest. The rooms were quite large and quite clean. The owner was very friendly and accommodating. We arrived on a Sunday when the pub was closed and he was waiting for us when we arrived. The street outside can get a bit noisy, however if you close the window's you can have a very nice nights sleep. There were not many places to eat in the area, however everything is pretty much walking distance if you're up for a 15-20 minute walk or so. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin T

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you here again in the future