“Comfort and value!”

Ranked #90 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Derry, United Kingdom
“Comfort and value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stay regularly in Dublin and have found that the Ballsbridge Hotel provides the best combination of comfort and value. The Tower rooms are very spacious and there is a good atmosphere in the Dubliner bar in the evenings. Well situated for those with business or pleasure in that area of the city.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Gary C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

I have stayed here a few times, and depending on the room, its hit and miss. Previously I stayed in the main hotel, and like some of the other reviews state, they are a bit dated, but, I see there there has been some work done in the reception and on the ground floor rooms, and that it changed ownership recently, so, hopefully that renovation will continue up the floors.

This time I got a room in the Towers, and it was a great big room, winged chairs and big screen TV, and a walk in wardrobe (albeit tiny one).

there were a couple of things, but it wont stop me going back!

First, the heating, its worked by the air conditioning, and if you want to heat the room while you are in bed, you really cant sleep as its quite noisy, so a couple of nights I had to pull out the spare blanket as I got quite cold.

Finally, yes, some of the service requires attention. While we were attended to greatly in our rooms (I had asked for extra teabags, and they came straight away!) when we went for dinner, twice my husband asked for a glass of water, and twice the waiter forgot! in the end we didnt ask a third time, as the waiter appeared too busy.

As I said, it wont stop me coming back, its a great location for the rugby and any concerts in the Aviva, so, See you Soon Ballsbridge Hotel!

Room Tip: If you have the option to book one of the towers rooms, they are much better, on the website I booke...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LetitiaS_71
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear LetitiaS_71

Thanks for your feedback and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our executive wing of the hotel. Yes we are planning a refurbishment on our bedrooms this year to accompany the ground floor refurbishment.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Despire having a wonderful character and really good potential for a great hotel, the Ballsbridge Hotel was quite underwhelming and very average hotel.

My room was in desperate need of refreshment and replacement of ageing facilities. The bathroom was a little grimy and the plumbing was terrible. The electrical sockets did not work and the bed and furniture was very worn.

The location of the hotel is good, just a couple of minutes to the city centre on the DART train, which has a station about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The Ballsbridge Hotel was fine for a couple of nights, but I would not have wanted to stay any longer than this. A very average hotel, not terrible but certainly not great.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil N
Dear Phil N

The maintenance and fittings should be perfect in every room, my apologies on this - I will report immediately to our maintenance team. Regarding the room being underwhelming, you'll be glad to know we're planning an extensive refurbishment this year.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

We had our Christmas Party here in the Ballsbridge Hotel.
We have a big Christmas night every year and it is always an ordeal to organise for such a large number of people, not this year though!! The events team were amazing... well Morgan was!
From day one they were so helpful, and really did cater to our every need.
The night was a fantastic night. The food was delicious, the staff were so friendly and the band and DJ were brilliant!! all 60 of us had an amazing night!! And those of us who stayed the night were all very impressed with the rooms!
I would highly recommend The Ballsbridge Hotel for any event for any amount of people attending as they are very professional and very welcoming!!
Thanks again to Morgan and all the Staff at The Ballsbridge Hotel !!
Tracy

Room Tip: My room was located in the Towers. It was really nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Caffreysun
Dear Caffreysun

Thank you so much for your positive comments and we're delighted that you enjoyed your Christmas Party so much.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Hi I have stated here a few times. The hotel is in great location and general upkeep is good.
Staff are short in numbers and those that are there come across as not really interested in people.
This shortage is leading to serious errors. We had dinner in the bar - the meat was uncooked in the centre - I mean red raw, and luke warm. Very dangerous. And even though they changed the meal, not once did anybody apologise to us.
This is not acceptable.....

• Stayed December 2012
Dear thisthatandtheother

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience. I will discuss this immediately with our Food and Beverage Manager.

Derry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

I've been to Dublin countless times and stayed in many hotels but this has to be one of the best I've stayed in, reception area and staff excellent and the adjoining bar is very welcoming. Check in was quick and easy and quality of rooms was high, however I did initially have a complaint about some damp in my room but the hotel manager was very apologetic and upgraded my room to compensate for any inconvienience. Breakfast wasnt the greatest I've ever had and the queues at certain times were quite long but was only to be expected given the size of the hotel however staff were very efficient. Stayed here for the rugby in November and it was only a short walk to the aviva so the location was ideal. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SineadM484
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

stayed here unfortunatly for a nite a few weekends back, to describe it in 3 words, 'a total kip' from the front desk to the bar staff the level of service provided is poor.
The rooms are very outdated and grotty (broken electric sockets) and the heating system doesnt seem to work in any kind of organised manner in the rooms.
We were awoke by a knock at the door at 9am from a staff member fromregistration to check if we were checking out that day (for pitys sake). the breakfast we recived was mediocre at best.
The bar staff are poor - didnt realise they do bulmers in pint bottles, was told they didnt have it until another guest standing at the bar beside me pionted it out to him !!! Food in the bar was even worse both in terms of quantity and quality.
whatever this hotel was in the past it is now sadly lacking and i would be concerned given the number of tourists in it that this is the image of irish hospitality, service, food etc... that they go home with.
in short one of the worst hotels i have had the missfortune of staying in

Room Tip: do yourself a favor and find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank wanderaroundabit
Dear wanderaroundabit

I was very disappointed to read your review and would appreciate it if you could contact me directly to discuss further (jclifton@ballsbridgehotel.com).

Ballsbridge Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels