“Great Hotel”

Ranked #90 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here at the weekend with my husband and two young boys. Aftre reading some of the previous reviews I was not expecting much and had thought about cancelling. However we decided to go and we had a great time. The hotel is not great looking from the outside but is lovely on the inside. Our room 327 was excellent, it had lovely decor and furnishings and was very clean. Check in was quick and the staff at reception were helpful. We also had a drink in the bar and this too was lovely. There were ample staff and there was a good atmosphere. The breakfast the next morning was excellent and had a selection of juices, cereals, pastries and of course full irish. I think that this hotel should rate higher than it does as it has now undergone refurbishment and the majority of the the previous comments appear to have been made prior to it being renovated. I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MollymooIreland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel with the lovely Lorraine during the week.. Nicely located in ballsbridge with very friendly staff.. Rooms probably need to be checked and maintained a little better as there was a power socket left dangling in a wardrobe.. Breakfast was ok and be careful where you park the car as mine was covered in bird s""t after a few hours..

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our location and staff. Disappointing to hear about your car. We do have signage throughout the car park advising of these problem spots. I hope it will not discourage you from staying with us again in the future.

Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Saturday 24th of November for 1 Night B&B as we were attending the Ireland V All Blacks Rugby at the Aviva Stadium . We checked in at 5pm and allowing for the fact the hotel was very busy it still does not excuse the rudeness of the receptionist. I said I wanted to pay cash for the room on more than one occasion and she refused and said I had to pay by card and she would put €50.00 on it to have food and drinks charged to room . I again tried to tell her I wanted to pay cash for room food and drinks and she insisted I pay with card.just to hurry check in up I agreed to pay with card and then she told me I could not used a visa debit card only credit card so she would only accept cash . Finally after 15 minutes we got key to room , if you could call it that.What we got was an old room with peeling wallpaper old furniture cowebs and damp. The room was cold with 2 flat pillows on bed and a duvet that was so thin a steamroller must have rolled over it. The bathroom was the best feature of the room old but at least it was clean .We decided to head down to the Dubliner Bar at 6pm for something to eat. We sat down at 6pm and at 6.15 nobody had even asked us did we want to order.I went up to bar and barman said someone would be down in a minute.Finally he arrived and took our order at 6.25. At 6.45 when there was no sign of starters to arrive (soup and chicken wings) and when we asked were told the kitchen was busy.Finally they arrived and both were cold but as we were starving we ate them anyway and hoped the main courses would be better.well they were not .The steak sandwich was like Leather and cold and so was the burger very dissapointing. Well at least we had dessert to look forward to Sticky toffee pudding well below average.I know the kitchen was busy but we left the bar at 8.20 Dont think it acceptable to leave people waiting that long for below average food &service. We went back to room and at 10pm decided it was so cold and miserable we would try the bar for a drink .1 pint of Guinness and 1 Irish coffee €12.50 and even the coffee was cold .I told the barman the Irish cofee was cold and he just walked away and chatted to the other barman.Decided to go to bed. Morning time for breakfast is no better.Long queue at door and eventually got a table.Went to buffett and it was just awful. Under cooked bacon disgusting sausages and pudding We just had the poached egg and toast .The staff in the dining room are not very pleasant either.To be honest couldnt wait to check out which was the most pleasent part of our stay at least the receptionist seemed intrested in our complaint Residents must pay a .€10.50 Parking charge also. Would not recomend this hotel way overpriced and management need to speak to staff about their attitude towards customers.Needless to say will not be returning again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor so long wait for lift if it busy
2 Thank wileyk
TulaneManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest

I was really disappointed to read about your experience at the hotel and would like to talk to you further in person. Could you contact me at dmeehan@ballsbridgehotel.com with your phone number at your earliest convenience?

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my partner's birthday close to the bus stop into the center of Dublin we got the freedom pass which lasts for 3 days which gives you unlimited travel on all busses in Dublin even the tour ones which cost 23 euro. Like any major city was expensive as you make it. Rooms in the hotel was needing a renovation which was undertaken in some on the hotel just not reached our part yet. We had breakfast there on the second day it was OK a full English which was kept warm by candle heaters so was warm, it didn't help that the aircon was @ full blast so food was cold quickly would recommend staying here I mean how much time is actually spent in the hotel apart from sleeping?

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Waited 15 minutes for lifts in the morning.
Room stank of fresh paint and mould.
So much paint over the mould, the front door and bathroom door would not shut properly.
Waited in queue for 5-10 minutes every morning for breakfast.
Below par buffer breakfast, watered down orange juice , economy bacon and sausages, no beans, awful black/white pudding.
Key card refused to work 2-3 times per day.
Shower pressure very low.

Room Tip: Avoid 625. Or any high up floors due to lift waiting times.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adrian S
TulaneManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm terribly disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and I would like to talk to you directly about your experience. Please send me your contact details to dmeehan@ballsbridgehotel.com at your earliest convenience.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here recently after attending a rugby match at the Aviva. Understandably the hotel was quite busy, and I made some allowances for this, however the attitude of some staff was quite poor and would put me off staying again. Initially, I was unable to find a parking space within the hotel car park and after circling the hotel I spoke to a hotel manager. Explaining that I was a resident and needed to park the car, he shrugged his shoulders and told me there was nothing he could do, I asked if there was anywhere else in the vicinity I could park he saidhe didnt know but that I would have to move immediately. After no help, i had to park my car 20 mins from the hotel and as I had to move it later was unable to have a drink at the rugby. I think car parking priority should be given for hotel residents. A further instance of poor staff attitude was breakfast, when queuing for food the hostess gave our table away leaving us standing with our plates for 10 mins (whilst food went cold) waiting for another tsble. She did niot apologise for her error. These 2 minor instances made all the difference to our stay and woukd out me off coming back

1 Thank Janna B
TulaneManagement, General Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I have discussed your feedback with our our management team and further training will be implemented to make sure our staff continue to provide excellent customer service even in our busiest periods.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Our tour group stayed here for two nights. We had our final dinner here tonight. Food was excellent. Service staff were very attentive to group. The management provide entertainment after the meal. A friend at our table had his birthday and they brought out a chocolate lava key with candle and happy birthday with his name around the plate. Security is very obvious so we felt safe during our stay. Thanks for making our last night in Ireland so special.

2 Thank PKSJDS