“Do not bother about lunch here”
Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ballsbridge Hotel
Ranked #89 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Do not bother about lunch here”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

One person in bar-restaurant serving at 12.30pm today, very short and snappy. I went to reception to pass comment about the staffing levels and the guy there decided it was better to do his computer input rather than ask me what I needed attention with.

I have lunched here many times and will not return, they have recently changed names and I find the staff rude since then. Perhaps they were dismissive of me because I was in my cycling gear rather than my usual suit, if so I would definitely not return as if they service is subject to first impressions well they can keep it.

Room Tip: There is a great selection of restaurants just down the road in Baggot street and it will cost you h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
TulaneManagement, Manager at Ballsbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear susancc737,

I am very sorry your experience in the Dubliner bar was not to the standard we would normally provide, your comment are certainly very different to the feedback we get regularly. I will follow up with our Beverage manager regarding your comments and ensure steps are taken to prevent this happening again.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Kingdom City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First I want to say that i do not usually write reviews but after this horrible experience that my husband and I we had I considered it absolutely necessary to do this. We booked a room at this hotel for two nights, after we check in what followed was horrible and humiliating. Went down to the bar to have dinner, after a long tiring trip that lasted hours all we wanted was something to eat and go back to the room to sleep because we had to wake up early in the morning next day. Bar was crowded but luckily we found a free table I told my husband to look in the menu and I go to the bar to buy drinks. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay and a pint of budwaiser when absolutely with no reason bartender started screaming at me because I was not careful he expect me to pay for the drinks really fast when I was actually looking in to the wallet at the time to get money to pay. I was shocked by the attitude of the bartender (Vaalenti) sorry the name may be spelled wrong. When I wanted the second glass of wine I sent my husband to the bar because I did not want to see that bartender again. When he returned to the table with the drinks I noticed that the wine was different than the first time and sent my husband back to the bar to tell the bartender to give the same wine as the first time. Visibly upset that I wanted to change the wine began to yell at my husband, really aggressive he was screaming and pointing at my husband in front of other people at the bar, my husband has never felt so humiliated in his life.That was when his colleague(Christian)seeing the humiliating situation in which my husband was he intervened and he told his colleague not to talk with customer like that and he offered to serve my husband. I admit in the most professional way possible(well done Christian and thank you for being such professional) in that time the bartender(Vaalenti) turned around and he said something to my husband in a foreign language. When he returned to the table my husband said he had a feeling that the bartender(Vaalenti) had little more and he will gave a punch in the face, later that night he told me that he was afraid for his life. I prefer to forget this horrible experience we had in this hotel and I advise u to think twice before you book a room at this hotel. To have a glass of wine in this bar is dangerous.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rachel d

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at this Hotel before and after my coach tour. Got in about 11:00 after flying all night. Was told room not ready till 3 pm. Did get in at 2 pm after dosing in lobby. Wifi is totally bad here. You get 20 free minutes. Then after asking a couple of times got a sheet of paper that gave you 24 hours on line. Second time there found out could hit 20 minutes as many times as like, but frustrating to lose it when in middle of doing something. Must be a training hotel, staff was hit and miss on being helpful. Rooms were good. Heard some others had problems. Second time they gave our room to other people, they had to go back down and get a different room.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sylvia M
Dear Sylvia M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, It was disappointing to read you experienced some issues during your stay with us, Our Wifi is a managed service through BITBUZZ and is normally very reliable and can be used in numerous other venues around the city once a voucher is purchased. I will contact our service engineer to look into the issues with connectivity. I will follow up with the relevant department managers to implement training on the areas needing improvement.

Thank you again for your valued feedback, I do hope you will consider staying again next time you are in Dublin and allow us the opportunity to change your opinion.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I would like to mention the excellent and caring personnel/staff at the Pub inside the Ballsbridge Hotel in Dublin. The food excels typical "Gastro Food" by far and the bar is always spotless.
Huge compliments to barman "Christian". He can read your mind and you feel "at home". 5 Star quality staff.

Thanks for a wonderful 5 day stay !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank svenmoehle
Dear svenmoehle,

Thank you for your kind comments on the Dubliner Bar. Delighted you enjoyed the experience and I will be sure to pass on your positive feedback to the team.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very nice hotel and very friendly staff. The rooms are very clean and spacious, even if the hotel overall is pretty large and takes you some time to get from one point to another :)
Catalin, the Romanian guy at the breakfast reception was very helpful and can be of assistance if you need any info on how to get around Dublin and places to see. Also, the bar is opened till late and you can have a pint or two :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cnechita
Dear cnechita,

Very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the staff to be very friendly. I will pass on your positive feedback to the team. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stay at this hotel for work and I stay in hotels all over the world. It is a large hotel not without it's growing pains. Although this is my first visit after our company continuously moves us between three properties I found it satisfactory. The staff is very willing to accommodate when asked. My room had an air conditioning problem and my room was changed at my request. Most european hotels do not have king sized beds and this one does. They even have an outlet for 120v that I used to charge my electronics. That is almost unheard of. The staff was overly attentive in making sure I was comfortable. I do not know if using the term overly is appropriate but it was clear they wanted to be sure my new room was acceptable. The hotel is out of town and a short bus ride on the number 4 or 7 to either Pierce street not far from Trinity college. You can walk it in 30 minutes on a nice day. Overall, I was comfortable, slept like a baby and treated very well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank savvytraveler1966
Dublin
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel at the beginning of June on a business trip - booked in by work as we have a corporate rate. Rooms are great, staff very helpfull staff and food is of a very high standard. The best bit about the hotel is The Dubliner - staff very efficient and friendly, great vibe and fantastic selection of good and cocktails! The DJ on Friday night was great as was the the evening as a whole. I actually live in Dublin and will probably make The Dubliner my new local. Top class!

• Stayed June 2014