“Ok, but did disappoint”

Ranked #90 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Ok, but did disappoint”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

If all you're looking for is a place to lay your weary head on your city break to Dublin, then this is the place for you. It's not however a place for a luxurious or romantic break. Service and food were average and the hotel was a little tired round the edges, which was a shame. Gaining wireless connection was also nightmare which involved asking for printed 'codes' at the hotel desk each day. I'm just glad I wasn't there on business...

Location is also a bit far from all the touristy spots, but admittedly, if you're there for the Rugby then the location is ideal.

Wouldn't tell anyone 'not to go' but I would tell them, not to expect the world.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PBaker88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed with family over weekend and were very happy with hotel. We were able to walk into city centre approx. 30 mins and got the bus back - bus stop just outside hotel. Dart station is also nearby. Staff were friendly and surrounding area is nice. Hotel room was fine, maybe could do with a bit of updating but beds were very comfortable and we had plenty of room. All in all, we were pleased with our stay and got a good rate on the night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank MaryCC726
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Located about a 30 minute walk south of the main City Centre the BallsBridge Hotel is tucked away in a nice upscale business area. The hotel itself is pretty to look at and has a friendly staff but that is where all the positives end.

The rooms (we were in 2) had parts of the wallpaper peeling and dirty walls paired with constant trouble with the doors. We were locked out of our bedroom for over 8 hours with no solution or care from the clerks other than a friendly "sorry". After we asked to be placed in another room while they figured out our door they at first declined only to be forced to do so after the lengthy delay. No free drinks or anything was given for this incident even though we couldn't gain access to our belongings for the entire night.

Secondly, I don't know if it is typical of most beds in Ireland (I am writing this as I am in a bed in Galway and it isn't the case) but the beds here were extremely hard and offered no comfort. My girlfriend and I constantly woke up in discomfort. Though, the floor was more then comfy the last two nights of our stay.

Overall, I would have to give the Ballsbridge a 2/5 for satisfaction. it just didn't met the hefty bill it charged. It's not nice enough(or of the quality) to demand the price, or close enough to the city centre (though, as mentioned, the area was nice and quiet).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Flaherty_R

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel was mediocre and it isn't in the greatest location but suited our purpose because we were only staying one night. We arrived here after flying 9 hours from Vancouver to Amsterdam and then flying another 2 hours to Dublin.

We paid 129 euro and booked this hotel through a friend that knew someone that worked at the hotel. The decor in the room looked tired and the internet speed was comically slow. If you are lucky enough to get free internet, you will only be able to use it on one device, so choose wisely.

The French guy at reception isn't helpful, try to avoid him if you can, you will get a better experience if you do so.

The bar is overpriced and the food is average but it might be your only option if you arrive late at night.

The free breakfast was surprisingly good.

Stayed July 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Short stay close to the city, walking distance, a pleasant experience, nice traditional decoration and furnishing, good sleep and customer service so 4 stars. I would definitely return. Breakfast was nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Paul S
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked via lastminute.ie and got a very good rate, unknown to me at that point was that there was a €10.50 overnight parking fee. The room was functional, clean and comfortable. I requested a quiet room located on a high floor - and it's exactly what I got. I was very impressed at check in, Stephan is an asset to the hotel with his warm, friendly and professional welcome.

There's a coffee dock located directly opposite the hotel that opens at 7am, local supermarkets are also open at that time, there's plenty of places to eat nearby. It's a very safe area.

A few additional points:
I didn't have food in the hotel.
It appears to be popular with tour groups.
No dental kits available ( I forgot my toothepaste)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank daubyb
Dublin
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel last March I was really surprised to see such big improvements when I returned this week. I stayed on the 4th floor and the room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The hotel is perfectly located, within walking distance of St.Stephens green.
I found all the staff very helpful and informative.
My only complaint would be that the bar food is below average and over priced.

Room Tip: The rooms have no air con. It is rare that you should need it in Dublin but the weather happens to b...