“Diamond in the Rough”

The Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #61 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I was very pleased with my stay at the Belvedere. I was there for 6 nights on a solo visit for leisure. I was in a small cozy room that appeared to have been renovated and was nicely appointed. The room was clean and service to my room was good as well as timely. I had great access to WiFi...and I seemed to be the only one on the floor. My stay here was relaxing, the staff were pleasant, and the hotel is centrally located. I would recommend the Belvederd, and I would stay there again.

1  Thank Mike L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,399)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have to admit that this was our first trip to Dublin so I don't know what other Dublin hotels are like. When we first walked into the lobby, I thought, "OH NO!" The lobby is shabby and constantly smells like cigarettes. But the service was excellent, and our room smelled nice and was very comfortable. The location is convenient, with a Hop On/Hop Off Bus stop very near by. It was a longish walk, but we did walk home from the Temple Bar restaurants and it took about 20 minutes walking quickly. We bought our Hop On/Hop Off tickets at the front desk--this bus can take you everywhere and is a fun experience. The breakfast was good at the Belvedere, but not as good as we had at the B&Bs where we stayed in smaller towns around Ireland prior to coming to Dublin. You can tell the breakfast room has been recently remodeled, and the decor is very cheery and attractive. The hotel was full so when I tried to shower at 7am both days we were there, there was no hot water. I complained at the desk and the offer of a janitor was made. By 7:45 there was hot water on each morning---not a matter for a janitor, just too many people showering at the same time. The toilets are old and will only flush every ten minutes, which we Americans are not used to and makes it interesting in a family room where four of us were staying. Our room was very very warm, however, due to the noise from the adjacent pub downstairs, we could not keep the window open at night. I wish they would not allow smoking in the lobby (or near the door) as the smell wafts into the corridors and halls which is offensive and brings the level of quality down. The view from our window was comically terrible---the trash bins and back of a business building. We heard loud trucks coming up an down this alley many times each night. This is a good place to stay if you will only be there for sleeping and for breakfast--there is basically no ambiance. We paid $170 Euros per night for a room for four---it seems like a good deal but I think next time I would try someplace else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary V
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Six of us stayed at the Belvedere Hotel for 3 nights during a week touring Ireland. The hotel is part old refurbished and part newly developed. Two couples stayed in the older part and the other stayed in the new wing. Without doubt the new rooms are much better in size and finish. The older part is adequate and clean but the rooms are a little small and as a result of the large heating pipes running through, are very warm - not great in warm weather! The staff are generally helpful and efficient. Breakfast is buffet style and offers a good selection. Freshly cooked eggs can be ordered to taste. The restaurant offers a good selection and the quality and prices are equally good. This hotel is well placed and is a short walk from all the main attractions of this great city. All in all our stay was very pleasant and was good value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SGP_Kent
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have just returned from our second stay at this hotel, and I cannot recommend it enough.The staff are warm. friendly and helpful. Our room was large clean and very comfortable. The only little bug bear I do have is that the restaurant stop serving evening meals at 9.30 p.m. This was slightly inconvenient as our flight didn't arrive in Dublin until 9 p.m. But despite this I will definitely be staying there on future trips to Dublin.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Parnell wing are at the front of the Hotel and are slightly noisier from passing ve...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night in early May 2014. I was surprised at the high standards of the establishment and had great value for my money. i took the bed, breakfast and dinner option as it is a good ten minute walk to the nearest eatery from the hotel. the reception area is quite small but i was dealt with promptly and efficiently by the friendly helpful staff. the room was adequate in size for myself, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was immaculate and well supplied with toiletries and towels. the hotel is spotlessly clean. the area is quiet as the hotel is not located on a busy thoroughfare unlike other more elaborate and more expensive hotels. my stay was pleasant and i would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice place to stay almost in the centre of Dublin. one or two. details to consider. the hotel is a good ten minute walk from o'connell street and at least 15 mins walk from the nearest LUAS tram in Abbey street. Greta Denmark street is a one way street so atxis can take a while to get there due to the traffic system. one other thing i want to point out, i took dinner in the hotel and ws disappointed at the fish provided in my fish and chips meal. it was a very bad colour and gave the impression it was not fresh but had been recently thawed out from a deep freezer. i was not able to eat most of it so just be alert to this at dinner time.also the bar does not open till 5.30 pm so if you want a relaxing drink you need to walk to o'connel street which is ten minutes away. all in all this is a good hotel.

Room Tip: if the irish music night is on when you are there it would be a good idea to ask for a quiet room aw...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Senior_Traveller92
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed in the Belvedere with my Husband, Brother and Sister in Law we had 2 double rooms, both of which were very clean and had everything we needed for our 3 night stay. The staff were very helpful during our stay. after our first night the room next door to my Brother had a leak and my brother had to move, the hotel did everything while we continued to enjoy our break. We had booked room only, but the hotel offer breakfast if booked the night before for €8 per person. we found this to really good value for money as it is a buffet breakfast with a very good selection. The location is a little bit out of the City, about a 10-15 min walk or about €10 taxi ride.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Boro1983
Cathal O, General Manager at The Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Boro

Thank you for choosing the Belvedere Hotel for your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Please keep us in mind when you return to Dublin.

Regards

Cathal O'Donoghue

Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel's rate was reasonable, especially because I paid in advance. The hotel's staff was exceptionally helpful, giving me directions to the laundromat, giving me a map, giving me a wake-up call, calling me a cab. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The location is excellent--close to a couple good pubs, and there by the Writer's Museum, the Hugh Lane Gallery, and the Garden of Remembrance. My wife and I walked everywhere from the Belvedere. The breakfast provided was great too, and the staff was excellent in the breakfast room too. We stayed four nights and that was an excellent choice for our stay in Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yodelman

Dear Yodelman

Thank you very much for your review and for staying with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your lovely comments to the team here.
I hope that you get an opportunity to get back to Ireland and the Belvedere soon.

Regards