“Visitors could do better”

The Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #61 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Limerick, Ireland
“Visitors could do better”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently during a bout of nice weather (22 degrees) in Dublin. Though the window was open the entire day, I could not get any sleep as the room was unbearably hot. I reported this to reception the following morning, where they blamed the heat problem on pipes beneath our room. They promised to deliver a fan to our room, but it never arrived. The next night was much the same. Keeping the window open meant that noise from the street - particularly the heavy goods vehicles roaring past at all hours of the morning and night - made it impossible to get any rest. For the price we paid, I think that the hotel should have an air conditioning system in place.
Though the hotel has been renovated, it still retains a somewhat shabby appearance. The reception area smells musty, and the shower curtain in our bathroom was in dire need of replacement. It's also not as centrally located as it seems from the website. I would recommend visitors to Dublin stay closer to the Temple Bar area, perhaps on the opposite side of the river to where this hotel is.
On our last night, we returned to the hotel around midnight. We were hoping it would be possible to have a quiet drink before retiring to bed, but were told by the night porter that the hotel bar was closed, even to residents, since 11pm. He was unable to offer any suggestions of alternative bars closeby when we enquired. I take trips to Dublin several times a year and have stayed in many city centre hotels. I regret to say that The Belvedere is not up to the standard of most 3* establishments in Ireland, and I don't think I will return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ad54321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Finnish first
Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was very happy with my stay at this hotel. I could not fault it at all. The rooms are luxurious and peaceful with plenty of room. We booked a twin room but were given a room with a double bed and 2 single beds bigger than what we booked for the same price! The breakfast was €8 per person and was substantial. It was a buffet style and you could have as much as you wanted and you could help yourself. We got to choose from tea/coffee/juice/milk and cereal/toast/soda bread/sausage/pudding/rasher/hash brown/scrambled egg/fresh fruit salad/cheese/baked beans/raisins. The food was healthy and of good quality. Staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed for three nights. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and tea/coffee daily.The location of the hotel was ideal too.

Room Tip: You can leave your luggage in before check-in or after you check-out for a few hours either way at n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ash78
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights with a group of college students I was leading on a study abroad trip in June. I chose the hotel based on its reviews, price, and location. I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed.

The good - The staff was super nice and helpful. We got in really early from an overnight flight and were able to check into one of our rooms early so we could at least leave our luggage and regroup.

Free, reliable internet. Breakfast was both hot and cold items and really good.

The bad - The location was alright. While it was fairly close to the Airlink bus stop from the airport, it was about a 15 minute walk to the river, and more like 20 minutes to Temple Bar area, and 30+ to St. Patrick's Cathedral. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have chosen something on the other side of the river, or at least a little closer to it. I disagree with reviews about it being in a questionable area of town though - we were a group of all females and never felt unsafe even at night.

The hotel itself was pretty old. There was a lot of peeling wallpaper, worn carpet, etc. I will say that things were clean (which is always important to me), and the beds were comfortable.

Overall, the stay was decent, but honestly for the price I feel like I could have found somewhere better located and more up-to-date.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank scmommy8
Cathal O, General Manager at The Belvedere Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Scmommy8

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that our location did not suit you. Most people find it very handy, but I suppose it really depends what you want to do while you are in the city. I will pass all your comments onto our staff.

Regards

Cathal
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had reason to stay as my daughter was attending Temple Street Children's Hospital.Very friendly staff who were very helpful,nothing was too much trouble,Mark on reception was a lovely chap to deal with!The room was comfortable and clean and I had a great nights sleep. The breakfast was lovely with a great selection on offer. Would recommend it and will definitely stay again particularly if in Dublin shopping as it is very near O'Connell Street!

Stayed on June 9th for 1 night

Brian Mc Kenna
Sligo

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian M
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel after staying at another hotel on the other side if the river. Do not stay here!! It is run down, unkept, and in a questionable part of town. We should have known when our cab driver asked if we wanted to stay there. Upon first arriving we went to our room where the toilet wouldn't stop running. We asked for assistance and were told someone would be there at 11pm! I took a hanger and was able to get it to stop. It has the potential to be a lovely hotel. It has been let go.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank MCPayme
Dear MCPayme

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Please accept my apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay. I have spoken to the staff that you dealt with. The receptionist offered to get our maintenance person to come in and fix your toilet , but you said that it was ok. Maintained issues will occur from time to time and we do our best to fix them at any time day or night. As to the hotel being unkempt, we have undertaken a major refurbishment program over the last three years and we are very proud of the results. Again sorry for the the issues you experienced.

Regards

Cathal
Co.Donegal
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here as it was near to a hospital for a family member.Good choice, the room we were given was large and clean and quiet,breakfast was good with good selection of food served buffet style.All the staff were helpful and friendly one girl even printed directions to the hospital and ordered taxi for us .
The Belvedere Hotel is just off O Connell St so it is also a good place to stay for shopping or city break,

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room because it is city center.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline M
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We did not stay at this hotel, but I want to commend the woman who helped my husband. We had just arrived in Dublin after an 18 hr trip with a 9 hour time change. He went for a walk, waiting for our hotel room to be ready, and forgot the name and location of our hotel. He went to the Belvedere, and the front desk woman very kindly helped him by calling the nearby hotels. After about an hour, they found the right one! He was then sent to the correct hotel (about 5 blocks away) by taxi.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple