“Good Location, close to transportation”

The Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #59 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the Belvedere from 6/25/14-6/29/14. We got a triple room which was comfortable but not too spacious (as we expected in Europe). The room was clean and comfortable. They do advertise they have A/C, but this was NOT the case. Our room was hot and stuffy, and we had to open the enormous window facing the street every night in order to coo the room down to a comfortable temperature for sleeping.

Other than this, it was a nice location, only about a 10 minute walk to the River Liffey and Temple Bar area. Just around the corner were many bus tops in Parnell Square which made transfer from the airport very simple via the Airlink Dublin Bus.

We will probably attempt a different hotel closer to the city center on our next trip, but this one was acceptable for a 4 night stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here back in 2011 based on reviews and it was a pretty pleasant experience. At the time the hotel was going through room upgrades and we had a non-upgraded room. Ended up being on a floor with a school group from Spain which had their chaperones on a different floor! Needless to say it was very noisy, but the next morning we talked to the front desk and they moved us at once to the other side of the hotel which had just been very nicely upgraded for no extra charge. The breakfast in the morning was really nice and well stocked and the pub had great food with wonderful entertainment. I would stay here again as Dublin is an expensive city and this place was good value for what you get.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if they updated the entire hotel, so be sure to ask about an updated room before bo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dublin0619
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently during a bout of nice weather (22 degrees) in Dublin. Though the window was open the entire day, I could not get any sleep as the room was unbearably hot. I reported this to reception the following morning, where they blamed the heat problem on pipes beneath our room. They promised to deliver a fan to our room, but it never arrived. The next night was much the same. Keeping the window open meant that noise from the street - particularly the heavy goods vehicles roaring past at all hours of the morning and night - made it impossible to get any rest. For the price we paid, I think that the hotel should have an air conditioning system in place.
Though the hotel has been renovated, it still retains a somewhat shabby appearance. The reception area smells musty, and the shower curtain in our bathroom was in dire need of replacement. It's also not as centrally located as it seems from the website. I would recommend visitors to Dublin stay closer to the Temple Bar area, perhaps on the opposite side of the river to where this hotel is.
On our last night, we returned to the hotel around midnight. We were hoping it would be possible to have a quiet drink before retiring to bed, but were told by the night porter that the hotel bar was closed, even to residents, since 11pm. He was unable to offer any suggestions of alternative bars closeby when we enquired. I take trips to Dublin several times a year and have stayed in many city centre hotels. I regret to say that The Belvedere is not up to the standard of most 3* establishments in Ireland, and I don't think I will return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ad54321
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was very happy with my stay at this hotel. I could not fault it at all. The rooms are luxurious and peaceful with plenty of room. We booked a twin room but were given a room with a double bed and 2 single beds bigger than what we booked for the same price! The breakfast was €8 per person and was substantial. It was a buffet style and you could have as much as you wanted and you could help yourself. We got to choose from tea/coffee/juice/milk and cereal/toast/soda bread/sausage/pudding/rasher/hash brown/scrambled egg/fresh fruit salad/cheese/baked beans/raisins. The food was healthy and of good quality. Staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed for three nights. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and tea/coffee daily.The location of the hotel was ideal too.

Room Tip: You can leave your luggage in before check-in or after you check-out for a few hours either way at n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ash78
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights with a group of college students I was leading on a study abroad trip in June. I chose the hotel based on its reviews, price, and location. I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed.

The good - The staff was super nice and helpful. We got in really early from an overnight flight and were able to check into one of our rooms early so we could at least leave our luggage and regroup.

Free, reliable internet. Breakfast was both hot and cold items and really good.

The bad - The location was alright. While it was fairly close to the Airlink bus stop from the airport, it was about a 15 minute walk to the river, and more like 20 minutes to Temple Bar area, and 30+ to St. Patrick's Cathedral. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have chosen something on the other side of the river, or at least a little closer to it. I disagree with reviews about it being in a questionable area of town though - we were a group of all females and never felt unsafe even at night.

The hotel itself was pretty old. There was a lot of peeling wallpaper, worn carpet, etc. I will say that things were clean (which is always important to me), and the beds were comfortable.

Overall, the stay was decent, but honestly for the price I feel like I could have found somewhere better located and more up-to-date.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank scmommy8
Cathal O, General Manager at The Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Scmommy8

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that our location did not suit you. Most people find it very handy, but I suppose it really depends what you want to do while you are in the city. I will pass all your comments onto our staff.

Regards

Cathal

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had reason to stay as my daughter was attending Temple Street Children's Hospital.Very friendly staff who were very helpful,nothing was too much trouble,Mark on reception was a lovely chap to deal with!The room was comfortable and clean and I had a great nights sleep. The breakfast was lovely with a great selection on offer. Would recommend it and will definitely stay again particularly if in Dublin shopping as it is very near O'Connell Street!

Stayed on June 9th for 1 night

Brian Mc Kenna
Sligo

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel after staying at another hotel on the other side if the river. Do not stay here!! It is run down, unkept, and in a questionable part of town. We should have known when our cab driver asked if we wanted to stay there. Upon first arriving we went to our room where the toilet wouldn't stop running. We asked for assistance and were told someone would be there at 11pm! I took a hanger and was able to get it to stop. It has the potential to be a lovely hotel. It has been let go.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank MCPayme

Dear MCPayme

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Please accept my apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay. I have spoken to the staff that you dealt with. The receptionist offered to get our maintenance person to come in and fix your toilet , but you said that it was ok. Maintained issues will occur from time to time and we do our best to fix them at any time day or night. As to the hotel being unkempt, we have undertaken a major refurbishment program over the last three years and we are very proud of the results. Again sorry for the the issues you experienced.

Regards