“Blessed is he who expecteth little...”

Almara Bed & Breakfast Dublin
Ranked #42 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
UK
“Blessed is he who expecteth little...”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed here for two nights. We arrived at 1pm on Saturday and we were politely told that our room was not ready. Alan directed us to a very average and expensive pub, by no means the nearest, in which he obviously has some kind of side-interest. Alan lays on the charm with a trowel but by the end of your stay you are likely to see through it. We had agreed a rate of 99 euros per night - hardly cheap - and paid a 99 euro deposit several weeks in advance of arrival. Alarm bells began to ring shortly after arrival when Alan casually raised the suggestion that he had no record of the deposit payment, asking if we had used a different card. I thought it odd that he would not have contacted us before now if there had been any issue with the deposit. I said I was sure the payment had indeed been made and that I would check my online banking and show him if necessary. The subject was not raised again.

The important thing to know about Almara is that words you might think you understood quite well have a very different meaning in "Alanspeak". For example, 'High speed internet" means a one-bar signal that just about functions depending on where in the building you are. "4 star", as other reviewers have noted, means tiny, noisy, hot (in July), slightly grubby rooms with incredibly dated furnishings. "Cot" means filthy "travel cot" into which you would not dream of depositing someone else's child, much less your own.

The Alanspeak description of the "full Irish breakfast" raised my hopes quite high. The reality was an unpleasant circle of black fatty stuff, an equally unappetising piece of white fatty stuff, two cheap cocktail-type sausages and some very average bacon. I regret that I did not photograph how pitiful it looked on something not much bigger than a side-plate. A further indication of the owners' meanness may be gathered from the fact that they have not invested £20 in a high chair. Our one-year old had to eat breakfast from his buggy, no doubt to the irritation of the other guests in the cramped breakfast room. We were also told 'if you're giving milk to the baby, use that jug, not this one, as that jug's a bit fresher.' I can only deduce from this that adult guests should not expect fresh breakfast. Blessed is he who expecteth little for he shall not be disappointed...

All of this we might've overlooked, but what guaranteed that we will never return was a further highly dubious money incident. Alan kept urging us to pay him in cash and said that if we did not, the cost of the room would go up to 103 euros. Since my bank would charge me for withdrawing the cash in any case, I paid by card and, grudgingly, Alan's penalty charge. This, along with the other reviews and our own experience, convince me that this is not a place to recommend on any level; the "friendliness" you will encounter seems to me designed to lower your guard, something you'd be very ill-advised to do at Almara.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank M B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This is a charming guest house with helpful hosts. Their website did not do them justice. Staying just between Dublin city center and airport was a good move, with a short bus ride that frequently stopped near the door. Breakfasts were ample and tasty. Everything was very clean and comfortable. Only complaint was hard pillows.

Room Tip: Rooms in back will have less noise from road traffic.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2013

First off, we would like to say how nice and informative Alan is at the Almara. The location is very close to the Dublin airport. However, the Almara's website is a bit off. We expect a lot more from a "4 star" B and B. This is not a four star accommodation. The rooms are very small, average, and we did not realize we would be sharing a bathroom with other guests.
The following was found on one of their websites...
"All reviews can be seen on the internet when Almara is searched - to put this another way in all of our twenty years not one bad review has been written about us!" Obviously, they have not read reviews on tripadvisor.
It is also interesting to read other reviews and see how guests have been "upgraded" upon arrival. This happened to us as well. Interesting...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank zephyrco2011
cupar
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Clean B&B situated on very busy main route into city centre, traffic noisy during evenings and early morning.
Did not meet expectations generated by website advertisement. Rooms clean, but small. Breakfast choice very limited, and cereals stale - maybe left out in serving bowls too long.
Very easy access via bus to city centre, a plus point, but isolated for any other activities, not much close by in the way of entertainment or eating if you do not wish to spend evening in city.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank jill s
England
Reviewed 21 May 2013

On the website it claims to be a 4* B&B, although on the sign at the accommodation it stated 3*, personally I would be generous to give 2*. I booked 2 double rooms for 2 nights and asked when making the booking if there was a cot available for an 18 month old child. I was told no problem. On arrival we were surprised to see that the cot was an old, rather unstable travel cot. The room with the cot had 2 single beds and a sink and was satisfactory, but the room in which I stayed with my husband was very dowdy, it was in need of redecoration, had a musty smell and was so small with a double bed that there was barely room to walk around the bed. The small built-in wardrobe and shelving were a disgrace, which we decided not to use. The bedding was clean and the bathroom was large and kept reasonably clean, although if we had wanted the bath rather than the shower we would have had to ask for a plug! The sink had a crack in it! I would give the bedroom 3 out of 10 and the bathroom 5 out of 10. The lounge seats 5 people and the TV is an antique! Breakfast was average. Orders were taken on arrival in the dining room and before we had drank the small glass of orange juice and eaten the cereal, the “Full Irish” had arrived queuing up for us to eat and getting cold! It consisted of one piece of white pudding, one piece of black pudding, a rasher of bacon, 2 shrivelled sausages, all of which I think had been pre-cooked and kept warm, thus drying out, and an egg. No sign of a tomato or mushroom to brighten up the plate! No offer of a refill of tea or coffee that was served at the start of breakfast. Alan had been told in advance that 2 of the guests were vegetarian and he said that was no problem. On the first morning they were offered as a replacement for the “Full Irish” scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes. On the second morning he had run out of mushrooms so produced some baked beans. Incidentally, Alan does not provide a high chair to use even though he does have a cot of some sorts! His attitude to children is indifferent. I was able to glance into another room which seemed bigger and brighter than the one in which we had to stay, but on chatting to another guest there, she was also unhappy with the B&B in particular her room size. We were told the day before we checked out that he would add 3% on the bill if we paid by credit card!! I would not recommend and will not be returning!

Room Tip: Enquire as to the size of the room being allocated
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DivingLotti
Lachapelle, Aquitaine, France
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We spent 3 nights in Almara. Alan was very friendly with us and take time to explain us how to travel to the city, the good places to see, where to eat...
He wrote me all the importantes informations by e-mail before we arrive in dublin (bus number, the rate, the route,...)
The room was OK, 2 singles bed but no matter. It was clean, and we slept very well.
The break fast was good too, juste we found it a little bit expensive, (10 euros per pers. for a full irish, we paid less in the city centre !) The rate of the room too, but it was because of St patrick's day.

Well, for us, alan was welcoming and friendly, the room was OK. And we were only max 15 min from city centre by bus. Everything was allright !

If we go to dublin again, We shall return to it with no problem at all !

Room Tip: - a good room at 15 min by bus from city centre. - very welcoming
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie C
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

First thing I noticed as we were shown to our "upgraded" room was mould along the bottom of the roller blind. The twin room was tiny (A queen bed and a small single with no headboard squished along the foot of it). The decor was old fashioned and dowdy (terracottas and bright yellows). The room was really cold and heating was not turned on until the fire was lit at night I reckon!! The towels were grubby and some not freshly washed. We thought we were in a upgraded room and could only imagine what standard rooms were like based on ours, so said nothing as we were exhausted anyhow. My friend spent half the night awake as the small bed was too small for an adult and the draught from the window was coming right down on her head. Next morning went down for the "famous full irish" breakfast, lets just say the I fail to see what is famous about it! It was okay, just okay!! There were no offers of a top up coffee or more of the rationed half glass of orange juice. Fry up consisted of one piece of black pudding, one piece of white pudding, 2 shriveled sausages, a rasher and a fried egg......not a bean or tomato in sight.
Tv room was small with a 1990's type tv.
Alan told us that cash was preferred method of payment as laser incurred 3% charge?? I have never heard of that with laser, maybe visa etc . Anyhow, when heading up to get my bag one of the other rooms had the door open and I had a look in- I was gobsmacked as the room was modern, large and spacious and I would have been very happy to pay 70euro for it. So long story short-good rooms kept clean for weekend guests or regulars perhaps??!! Alan was having one of it when I told him I was disgusted that we were unhappy with the "upgraded" room which he had falsely lead us to believe was the highest standard available. He is a rude man and a moneygrabber from what I can see. Customer service does not matter to him, he just wants the cash and offers no comeback to disgruntled customers. I would never ever go near the place again.

Stayed November 2012