“Peace of mind costs extra”
Review of Four Courts Hostel

Four Courts Hostel
Ranked #20 of 117 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Peace of mind costs extra”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I couldn't fault the staff at reception, they were very friendly and helpful. We knew the city well but needed somewhere to crash for the night due to previous plans falling through. I would definitely try harder to find an alternative hostel in Dublin in future.

While the hostel itself felt safe, from what I can remember an all female dorm cost more than a mixed one, it was only a matter of a couple of euros, but upon reflection, this doesn't seem just. In order for myself and my friend, also female, to have peace of mind, we had to pay extra? Safety shouldn't come at a cost. I didn't have the spare cash to pay more than had been advertised on the website, so a mixed dorm it was. We were the only 2 girls in a dorm of 8, in a room with large old windows that looked out onto the Liffey. It captured all the sun and the room was stifling as a result, I imagine its cold in the winter. I wasn't tempted in the least to have a shower in the morning, the bathroom felt and looked grubby. The shower stalls had flimsy shower curtains, and with 6 other guys waiting to shower there, I just wanted to leave as rapidly as possible.

The place is in need of major renovation, if it hopes to compete with the far more superior hostels on the continent.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MsMitford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Wallington, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This place was exactly what my friends and I were looking for--clean, safe, good location and good price. We definitely got our money's worth with this place. The staff was nice, funny and helpful. They advised us on a lot of activities to do and what places to avoid. One staff member, Cathal, was very helpful--he recommended a great meat pie place near Temple Bar and other more local favorite bars. Speaking of which, this place is located very close to a lot of great places--had no problems walking from there to local sites, including and especially Temple Bar (even though it is a tourist trap).

I stayed in a 10-person room with 2 other friends and they were nice enough to put us in one that was only being used by other people for 2 out of the 5 nights we were staying. It was very clean and nice though there was some noise of construction outside in the mornings. Great way to get yourself up early to go sight-seeing I guess.

One thing--be sure to bring your own locks for storing your luggage because even though they provide under-the-bed cages for luggage, they will charge you to use one of their locks.

Overall great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Four Courts Hostel for three nights before a Paddy Wagon tour and booked it again for when I returned. I was really looking forward to coming back to this place. The atmosphere is great, the facilities are more than satisfactory. The place is regularly cleaned, the rooms are tidy and spacious, not bunks jammed in like sardines. All the rooms have windows which can open, the ensuite was serviced regularly and the shower was fantastic. The location is amazing for those doing sightseeing and drinking. The hop on - hop off bus goes straight past the hostel, they sell tickets for the bus at the hostel, awesome attractions like the Four Courts of Justice, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublinia and Temple Bar are all easily inside walking distance. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, organising a bed for me when I messed up my booking. The train station is also in walking distance if you're planning on taking trips outside Dublin. I really can't speak highly enough of Four Courts and wish all hostels were at this level. Would go back in a heart beat.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed in 3 hostels in dublin. This one is very good. We stayed in a 8 person dorm. Clean, comfortable rooms. Kitchen is well equipped though there are no condiments left behind by anyone. Bring all you need. Location is great, 5 min walk from temple bar. Free wifi and computers to use the internet. Free international calls. Books and movies for renting, with a few separate common rooms. Staff is always helpful.
Only negative thing i would say is there is no screening on the windows, which let many flies in our room.
Good choice in hostels. Also check kinlay house if there is no room here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This was my favourite hostel out of the 8 I stayed in on my recent trip in Europe.
The staff were amazing. Very friendly and always willing to give directions or advice, or to sit and chat if they weren't busy.
The large kitchen and two guest fridges really helped keep food costs down for me! Lots of space to eat and relax. Breakfast was included and more than adequate.
Free Wifi and free computers with internet. Free luggage room. Free guitars that you could borrow to play, as well as a wii.
Rooms were pretty clean, and spacious enough. The shower was clean. Although for some unknown reason, we had a bunch of flies in our room.
The location was great. Easy walking distance to all sorts of attractions, and easy to find when getting into the city.
The only downer was the huge group of very loud and rather rude teenagers who seemed to be on some sort of school excursion. They seemed to feel they could take over the place and order people to vacate dinning tables. But other than that, I really enjoyed my stay and would absolutely reccomend Four Courts!

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The Staff was very helpful with information's. You have free access to internet, a kitchen to use, some snack automate, a place to sit and talk and a lots of flyer to check what is going on! The Hostel is very good located, you can walk to the most sight in less than 15 minutes, and there are bus stops and the Dart is very near. The bed-room and the sheets were clean. The bathroom was a bit small to share for 30 girls (12 and 16-bed-room) only 2 showers, 2 toilets and 2 sinks. Also were the facilities a bit worn-out. The main-kitchen as well. The breakfast was good, besides I was missing soy-milk. But all in all the Hostel was very good and I would always recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Though this hostel isn't huge it feels like there is always so much going on and so much to do. With multiple spaces to eat, read, or watch tv (their movie collection is amazing) there is something for everyone. The location is great too far enough down the road from temple bar that there are not crazy drunks but close enough that you are a five minute walk from a great night out. The rooms are also nice spacious, airy and with ensuite bathrooms.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends