“Cheap accomodation...Not worth it!!”

Browns Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #135 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
N Ireland
“Cheap accomodation...Not worth it!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2009

I stayed with a group taking up three rooms in the "hotel". Staff recommended the Qpark across the street and said that it was free for hotel guests, which it wasn't (half price costing over 100 euros for 4 cars). Could have been a misunderstanding but the complaint was dealt with terribly. The manager didn't give us the time of day not listening to us at all, even though there was flaws in what the receptionist said. In the end up he paid out and stormed off! Not very good. Otherwise staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were aweful half painted, tv didn't work, stinking and no lock on the small bathroom door. The shower door didn't close properly either, In one of the rooms someone had got sick in one of the kettles and it was never checked! Disgusting really! Worst of all was that every key opened every room door in the place!! No wonder everyone get their things stolen. Couldn't wait to get out of the place.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank vin_m88
Browns_Hotel_Ireland, Manager at Browns Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, 5 December 2009
Hi there:
I am the Manager of Browns Hotel. Thank you for staying at Browns.
On this date I was off. Reception staff were dealing with you and the the Duty Manager.
As with all guests we recomend QPark which we have a special deal with in order to get reduced prices. I think in this case as you state I feel it was a misunderstanding. Reception on duty called me to explain and She was very upset as all the party was talking to her at one time claiming that She did not inform them of the charges. The staff member in question has been working here for over two years and this situation has never occurred before. I apologise if you feel that the Duty Manager did not give you enough time. However in his report He states that it was very difficult to deal with customers, whom were all very animated.
I am delighted to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff. There are no locks on any of the bathroom doors as they are all inside the room and for sole use of the guests of that room. We investigated the claim about the kettle and found that there was only water inside.
We have since looked into the situation about the keys and I must than you for bringing this to my attention. We have now replaced any locks that were faulty.

Regards,
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ireland
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Walls falling apart in our room. Tv had no channels.

We were out during the day Saturday and came back to find that we had been robbed! My pefume, my keys and my boyfriends aftershave were taken. Reported it when we were leaving, they said they would ring me the Tuesday but never heard anything. I am following it up at the moment. Not acceptable! Had to pay €180 to replace my car key! Nearly double the cost of the stay at the hotel!

Also, we were waiting nearly 10mins after a night out on the Sat nite to be let into the hotel!

Do NOT stay here, you will be robbed, in every sense of the word!

2 Thank Moll21
Browns_Hotel_Ireland, Manager at Browns Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, 17 November 2009
Hi there:
Thank you for staying at Browns Hotel.
We are currently renovating the hotel and the room you were staying in has just been completed.
In relation to the missing items. We have since been in contact with you and are in communication about this matter. On that particular weekend there was another incident, which was connected. We have since revised all security of the building and hope that it does not happen again.

Regards,

Management

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

ballymena
Reviewed 3 November 2009

we booked this hotel for my birthday over hallow'een as it was a bargain price of 98 euros for 2 nights. I had a phone call two nights b4 we arrived demanding new credit card details as they had tried to pre-authorise my card and it wasnt working... i had never been informed on time if booking of the need for pre-authorisation and was unhappy at this!

on arrival we were directed to the top floor... no life available for the climb up the very narrow winding staircases.

the room was sufficient enough (we're not choosy as loong as its clean) bathroom was clean however only one towel for two people???!! we were at front of hotel and traffic noise was constant! the room was tiny, but bed linen was clean and there was tea/coffee facilities.

we went out for the entire next day and on our return as we began to pack it was apparent that things were odd... my suitcase which had been closed and placed at bottom of wardrobe was open across the floor, my partners bag and coat was lying across the (now made) bed, and to be honest the room looked rather ransacked. towels had been refreshed so we assumed this was tyhe extent of cleaning in the hotel

as i was packing i couldnt locate a top i had bought to wear at night.

complete search of room showed it was missing. annoyingly I assumed the cleaner had lifted it along with towels in error as it had been in the bathroom however, on looking in the bathroom we found that they had also taking my own personal shampoo, conditioner and facewash which was quite obviously not hotel property, and on further checking our room my entire makeup bag filled with newly bought makeup had also been taken. I immediately reported this to the receptionist who contacted the cleaner who denied seeing anything. I was told it would be reported to the manager in the morning.
the manager surprisingly never saw me, however let their receptionist deal with it. she refused to believe a cleaner would do such a thing, and they advised that an internal investigation would happen. I was offered a refund of one night.

I will be complaining in writing at how it was all dealt with. a random person would not run up 5 flights of stairs to steal makeup and showering goods whilst leaving very expensive straighteners and clothes sitting... AVOID AVOID AVOID!!

Happy birthday to me.... I dont think so!

1 Thank babyAshie
Hi there:
Thank you for staying at Browns. I would like to take this oppertunity to apologise for the loss of your personal items during your stay.
In relation to your credit cars it is all hotels policy to preauthorise the credit card before arrival to gaurantee the full amount of the first night. This is in the case of a no show and is in the terms and conditions of the booking. We call/email customer who's card is invalid or not authorised before arrival to gaurantee booking.
In relation to there being no lift, Browns is housed in a listed Georgian building so therefore can not ammend the structure of the building.
I am really sorry about there being not enough towels on this occasion. There was a late delivery that particular day, however towels were made available at reception in the evening.

In relation to your posessions, I can not apologise enough about this issue. All our staff have been working here for a great number of years and I trust them fully with entering all rooms and fulfilling their duty. This is the first instance in my time in Browns that such an issues has comeup. This particular weekend however an intruder entered the building and also broke into another room on your floor. This door was damages quite a bit.
Duty Manager was informed of the situation and was in the hotel on several occasions during the day in relation to these events.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Awful, even for the money. Large stain on the blanket over the bed, horrible room and - worst of all - I got 10 large bites from what I can only assume were fleas in the pillow (they were on my face and shoulder).

If you do have the misfortune to stay there avoid the room that is next to the check in desk.

Trust me, we spent so much on alcohol to avoid going back to the "hotel" that we might as well have paid for a 5 star hotel.

1 Thank shogunmondo
Louth
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Myself and my girlfriend booked Browns Hotel for a concert stay on a saturday, when we arrived we were told they were over booked and told that we were being put up in other accomadation owned by the hotel and that a taxi(which they paid for) would take to. The accomadation in question was "Bridge House" in temple bar. The location flatters to deceive,as other reviews for Bridge House will prove.We went from Staying in a Hotel to a Hostel, I have often heard about up grading, not down grading

Avoid!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tommym9
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Hotel was very cheap 75 euro between 4 of us.You get what you pay for. In the room the wall paper was severally hanging of the wall, they made an effort to fix it with sticky tape but clearly that didnt work....the sheets clearly hadnt been washed as there were other peoples hairs in the beds.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank mai1989
Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2009

This so called ‘hotel’ is DIRE. The brochure is complete misleading, describing it as a boutique hotel! There are laws against such misleading bull[--].

This place is a DUMP and it would be safer and cleaner to stay out on the streets for the night. I have never stayed in such a grim and disgusting hole.
The first thing that hits you is the smell of the place, the broken tiles, filthy dirty carpet, the rooms were particularly disgusting – the foul smell, dirty sheets, wall paper coming off walls or stuck on with cello tape-broken tiles in the bathroom, everything was filthy. We thought that was bad until we found crawling bugs and insects in our beds. Nice. The place is infested.
The ‘night manager’ was the most incompetent unhelpful person I’ve had the misfortune to encounter. He would do nothing to help-they would not phone an alternative hotel until we said we would call the Gardai-even at that he was unable to get us a hotel and we had to arrange another hotel ourselves (this @ 2 a.m on bank holiday Saturday).
He kept insisting that we stay in an apartment near the hotel even though we point blank refused. He said he would help us find a hotel if we would only look at the apartment-as if in any seriousness we were going to go with him and some other guy(who had turned up) to some random apartment somewhere in Dublin. He then admitted it was a residential apartment so god knows who lives there or how safe it would be. (I‘ve now seen the pictures on Trip advisor of the apartments and they look worse than the ‘hotel’ which is quite an achievement).
They would not refund our money or pay for the taxi to the hotel we had arranged ourselves. We are from Ireland but I would hate to think what you would do if you were a tourist and had no means to organise accommodation yourself.
The price to stay is SCANDALOUS -€150 for a triple room-it was €51 cheaper to stay in the Radisson!!!
It was a dreadful, shocking service, and it was a very upsetting experience for us. If we had been unable to organise accommodation ourselves we would have no where to stay. It says in the brochure that it would be a memorable experience & it was that for all the wrong reasons.
This hotel completely ruined our time in Dublin and we are complaining to Bord Failte/Health and Safety etc. We have not received a refund. This place is a health and safety hazard. I would not give this a score of 'one out of one' for marks but with trip advisor you have to tick one box. This place gets a zero.

Never Ever Stay Here. It is Dire. It is the most Disgusting, horrifying, dismal, repulsive and revolting place we had the misfortune to stay in.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends