“Very Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #67 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Very Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the Sheldon Park Hotel last week for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The room was a very good size for a family of four with a double and 2 single beds. The bedroom and bathroom were spotless, the only negative was that our view from the window was of a roof and air vents. The decor is dated but i felt it added to the charm of the hotel although some rooms visible through windows from outside are full of dusty unused excess furniture which take away from the hotel. The pool was a really good size and my 2 boys loved the "Jacuzzi" sections of the pool, the only negative was that you need to bring your towels from your room which you then need to dry if you want to have a shower the following morning.The breakfast was good with self service for cereal, toast, pastries, juice etc. The hot breakfast is made to order which was nice. We ate in the bar one evening which was very tasty and we had a meal in the restaurant which was included in our deal. The menu was quite limited and we were waiting for our main course for over half an hour after our starter with no apology or explanation. Our sons were finished their dinner and dessert and we hadn't our main course yet which resulted in the boys getting bored as they waited for us. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and found the hotel very good value. Would definitely stay again, very family friendly and with a lovely pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Athy, Ireland
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Fabulous lobby in the hotel just a few things really let it down. I stayed with my 7 year old daughter as we were attending a concert in the O2, perfect location for this as the LUAS is less than 5 minutes from the hotel & brings you through Dublin City Centre & stops at the door of the O2.

Upon check in at 2:30 we were told we were far too early & there wouldn't be a room available for a few hours & at that we'd have to join the queue. They tried to direct us to the bar but we sat in reception & 20 minutes later a room was available for us. The rooms are dated but perfectly clean.
The bathroom floor is very slippery especially in bare feet my daughter fell and hit her head on the tiles. I think it was either the coating on the tiles or the cleaning product used.

The leisure centre next door is free to use but you are advised on a card in your room to bring the towels from your room with you. I found this very off putting as you don't want to be walking across a car park with towels under your arm also to bring them back to your room when you wet.

I mentioned this to a lady in the locker room at the leisure centre & she said that was crazy as there are towels available in the leisure centre for a deposit of €1 which is refunded on return of the towels. That would have been my preferred method.

The breakfast is nice with a limited choice of fresh fruit & hot items. I really didn't like the breakfast room as it just was not fit for purpose. It is an old style carpeted bar. The seat they put us in was also very uncomfortable as we were sitting right in the doorway with my back to the door. With a few tweaks this could be a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank purple_swb
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've stayed at the Best Western Sheldon Park on several occasions with work and can highly recommend this hotel for both business and leisure travellers (leisure travellers see my comments at the end of this review).

The hotel staff are polite, courteous and helpful; check-in is always efficient.

The hotel rooms are well proportioned, clean, tidy and the beds excellent. Unusually, I find I can always sleep here without interruption which is not always the case when I am away with work. My *only* criticism would be the showers, which do not have a moveable shower head - a bit of a problem when you are as tall as me.

Breakfasts a well presented and fresh. If you are not looking for a cooked Irish Breakfast, the cold / continental options can be a little lacking in variety.

I have only ever eaten on an evening in the bar-area and the food is always excellent, with a well proportioned and not too expensive menu. The Guinness is also great :-)

I have not tried the swimming pool or gym facilities so cannot comment.

The hotel is conveniently located for the LUAS (tram) on the Red line and it takes approx. 25 - 30 mins to get into the O'Connell Street area of the city. This is a very effective and cheap way of travelling to and from the city.

I usually catch a cab from the Airport to the hotel as it is just off the M50 motorway. The usual cost of a cab is EURO45 and it takes between 20 - 30 mins depending on traffic. There are no AirCoach buses (or equivalent) that travel to this side of the city.

LEISURE TRAVELLERS BEWARE! This hotel really is on the outskirts of Dublin and the local area is essentially an 'industrial estate', so expect a bit of a trek into the City Centre. Having said that, the LUAS is a great option (the nearest stop is a leisurely 5 minutes walk from the hotel). The rooms are great and you won't be paying the crazy prices they charge in the City.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel is a fair way out of the city centre so if you are looking for that forget it, but I was there on business and found it to be an ideal base. The bar and restaurant are very good and the staff were very good. Breakfast is also very good. I just though the rooms let it down a bit, but they were clean and tidy, but just dated to me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David B
Bristol
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel because the Best Western Website said “Located just 10 kilometres from Dublin International Airport, this property is a favourite for frequent fliers and guests who need to catch a red eye” (I have corrected the spelling mistakes from the website in this sentence! .. you can see how annoyed I am). It was actually 24.4 Km from the airport, from the taxi receipt, and took over 30 minutes costing over 40 Euro. So, whilst the room was a good price (approx 70 Euro), I spent almost as much on taxi fares, to an fro, as I did on the room. I was too annoyed to enjoy the hotel. I complained, so hopefully the site will be corrected. The good news is the reception staff on arrival, and particularly for the early morning check out, who were charming and couldn’t be more helful. The hotel was also noisey, the fualt of the guests not the hotel. Lound talking in the corridor stopped @ 1:00 am and door slamming started @ 5:00 am.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Kevin W
Kidderminster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Unfortunately this hotel has been let down by the two rude and ignorant cretins on the desk when we arrived.
Firstly, the one staff member's greeting was 'oh you are much too early' upon my stating I was there to check in. (early check in was prearranged earlier on the telephone). She then proceeded to continuously get my name wrong, was unclear about payment instructions, needing to take pre-authorised credit card - despite the hotel already having my card number on file during the booking process. The two staff members made snide remarks about me and others in my party as we were leaving the desk to the point where we considered actually finding somewhere else to stay. We were told that only two of us could use the lift at one time 'due to the weight', but then realised that the lift holds up to 13 people and only one of our party of 5 (me) is overweight, everyone else being very slim.
Other negatives:
1. the triple room booked had only facilities for 2 people (i.e cups, towels, coffee, tea etc) despite stating that 3 adults were staying in there.
2. the TV reception was very fuzzy
3. the bathroom door was extremely stiff to the point where we thought we were locked in
4. breakfast is 10euro if ordered when checking in otherwise 14euro when just 'showing up'
5. the bar charged me 10euro for a soda water (free or nominal charge in UK) and 2 small bottles of Lucozade
6. the hotel is in the middle of nowhere and is a 35euro taxi ride from the airport and a 30euro taxi ride into the city

Positives:
1. the rest of the staff we dealt with were nice
2. housekeeping were especially helpful
3. the room was a good size, clean and comfortable beds
4. a large fan was provided when requested due to the heat
5. the leisure centre next door is free (3euro for a mandatory swim hat if you dont have your own)

All in all, I would not stay here again due to the meanness of the charges for food and drink as well as the distance from the city and the airport. There is a Macdonalds and an ALdi relatively local but thats about it. The tram is also close but is not convenient for the airport and is only good one way for a night out in the city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank MishMosh101
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived after 3.00 to be told only room available would be noisy as over bar. Told to try later! But after long journey not even given opportunity to freshen up somewhere. Got room after 7. Not told about facilities or meals etc. Asked to pay even though we prepaid. Reception staff not really rude, more abrupt and unwelcoming.
Room clean but very warm.
OK hotel let down by staff.

• Stayed June 2014