“home from home”

Ranked #104 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“home from home”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have had many stays here in Dublin when visiting my ageing mother in hospital/nursing home, various times. It was absolutely perfect for my needs. I stayed in the mews units - two of them, each really good, small sittingroom with kitchenette, bedroom, ensuite shower room. Latchfords are near a good newsagent, a range of supermarkets, pubs, restaurants, etc easy walk to central Dublin. At the same time, it was really quiet and it really was a rest from my life even though I was busy with family commitments.
My teenage son also stayed here with me a couple of times and it would be his first choice of accom in Dublin too. On one trip, we hired a car and there were private parking facilities within the property - a real bonus.

It's a short walk from Aircoach.

Jodie, Manageress, and her team looked after me/us very well every visit. The last time I came I called too late to get a room - that will not happen again- I'll be more organised as it's the best

Room Tip: Although there was only a shower (I'd have liked a bath) the mews units are superquiet for such...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Angelaswlondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Liptovsky Hradok
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I have stayed in the Latchfords apartments during Easter 2012 with my husband. I have enjoyed the stay, as the main criteria was privacy and independence. The apartments have excellent location respective to the city centre - it is 10 - 15 minutes of walk and it is very quiet location. There are few grocery stores nearby both directions as someone has already mentioned and a Chinese/Thai/Japanese Restaurant next door. In case you need to buy a travel adapter for Irish electric plugs, you can do so surprisingly in the Pharmacy (there are several on the same street).

We have stayed in the apartments that are not located in the main building but right behind the car park. I believe we were the only ones staying in that part of the property. Apartments are far from sound-proof so when it is packed it can be a bit uncomfortable. We got quite a good deal for a 1 bedroom studio. Having said this the price in this case has reflected in quality. Apartments could do with some refurbishment (especially the bathroom and kitchen) and also cleaning was not exactly spotless as the bathroom was a bit dusty and there were spider webs in the kitchen. If you are looking for privacy, independence and good location near the city centre, this is definitely a place to stay. If you are looking for luxury, then look elsewhere and pay more. If I go to Dublin for private reasons, then I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: If you prefer quiet room, ask for the room not facing the street or the room in the back behind the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xenidlo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The Latchford Apartments are self-catering. The kitchen is simple yet basic. The bedroom is comfortable and spacious. The apartment was very clean. The staff are amazing. The office is open morning to evening but not 24 hours. They were very helpful, friendly and accomodating. Wake up calls were provided on time as requested as were all requests for taxis. The location was fantastic. Close to Grafton Street and St. Stephen's Green. Excellent walking distance to many attractions and the tourism information centre. You can even take the bus from the airport to Marrion Square or Fitzwilliam and walk here (if bags are heavy take a cab:)). Would definitely stay here on my next visit!

Room Tip: Walk up - no elevator so if you have problems with stairs book a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Maria A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Latchfords is a nice place to stay, out of the hustle and bustle of central Dublin. But there's a couple of things to be aware of when booking....

If, when you see the words 'one bedroom apartment', you're expecting the bed to be in a separate room to the lounge/kitchen area, this is not the place for you. The kitchenette, lounge, dining table/chairs, and double bed (note - not queen or king) are all in the same room. At least they were in the room we were given. Having said that, they are extraordinarily large rooms! The bathroom is not really a separate room either - rather the bath/shower, vanity and toilet are in a walled off area in your room - in rather a tardis-like arrangement.

Being an old Georgian building, it has very squeaky floors. We knew exactly where the people staying above us were at all times. And, as other reviews have mentioned, Baggot Street can get busy with traffic, and the sound proofing isn't all that good.

Having said all that, it is a genuinely nice place to stay. As I said before, the rooms are huge and well appointed. It's a very pleasant 15 - 20 minute walk into the centre of town, and the parking out the back is an absolute bonus (make sure you pre-book a parking spot, as the car park fills up quickly).

I'm happy to recommend Latchfords to Tripadvisor readers - it's great as long as you know what to expect.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellingPeteShow
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 May 2011

This is a great place to stay if you want to feel more at home, rather than in a hotel. However, the furniture is a bit worn which kind of lends it a bit of a tired air. The people who work here, however, are very nice and friendly. Baggott street can be quite noisy at night. The first stay I had a superior studio facing Baggot Street, the second time (the night before I left for the airport) I had a studio toward the back of the building.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank randisbrown
Birmingham
Reviewed 4 October 2010

great staff here who were helpfull with any information you needed also great to chat with about dublin ect,the apartments themself are modern in style but in a lovely gerogian building ours had a seprate lounge with a little kitchen area they had left some tea/coffee so you could make a drink,the location is just out of the center but it only took us a 15 mins walk and we were right in the main city center there are also some local shops and pubs nearby,would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank johnbrum
Belfast
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This is the kind of place I love to find - somewhere so good that I will always check it first on any future trips to Dublin. Got a great rate of 55 euro on Laterooms for an apartment - so I thought that even if it is cramped and not that great, for the centre of Dublin, it's an excellent price. Well, it took my breath away when I got into the room - fantastic, comfortable bed, lovely kitchen area, and flat screen TV with leather sofa. Two wonderful big windows to the front of the building. Maybe I got one of the better rooms, as I saw no others, but it couldn't have been better for the price. I was there for only one night and didn't use the cooking area, but if you were here for longer, it would be so handy. I was at a gig in Leeson Street which was very close and then I shopped the next morning - the hotel let me keep my car in the car park for a while longer. By the way, having the free car park space really adds to the value. Only a short walk to the centre of Dublin - didn't use a taxi all the time I was there. I'll be back. Lovely, friendly people too!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo