“Decent and good value”

and 1 more site!
Paddy's Palace
Ranked #86 of 126 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 18 July 2014

No complaints about the price, we paid around 15euro per night each, which is good value considering the location just a 2 min walk to O'Connell Street and 15 minutes to Temple Bar. The hostel was very clean and plenty of bathrooms so that we never needed to wait. The rooms would be a lot better if they had lockers in them however. Unfortunately the wifi didn't work at all. It does get noisy in the evening and so I wouldn't recommend if you want to sleep early, but we found it fitted our needs well as somewhere to crash after an evening at the bars.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we hope to accommodate you again.

Paddy Palace team

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for one night over the weekend in a 10 bed dorm, I did not have great expectations based on this and one of the main reasons I booked it was down to the free airport transfer to the hostel (which in the end I never used as I purchased the aircoach ticket whilst on my ryanair flight which was only 6euro) if you are on a budget and a tight one at that, there are a few pros, the bus, the free tour if you stay and book in advance, its very central, the beds were clean, firm mattress, showers were ok- I showered at 7am so before anyone else had a chance to obliterate them. Now the cons, the dorm was at the top of a very narrow 3 flights, I did not feel very safe as a lone female, thankfully 2 of the beds were not occupied as the room was very small with only 2 plug sockets which naturally were being used. I really would not like to chance my odds of survival in a fire as there really would be no escape. There was no wifi in this side of the building so you have to sit in the lobby which is very small and run down. The whole hostel felt very dated, the booking was messed up showing that there were two of us staying for five nights? I arrived at 10 am but check in was 13:00 the new receptionist basically advised it was not safe to leave my bags in the shared room. The kitchen was tiny too but a basic breakfast of toast, cereals, juices and tea and coffee was available from rather early until about 9.30ish, no good if you want a lie in. Oh and the lock on the entrance to the hostel was broken so the receptionist had to actually walk around with me to let me in. The area outside feels run down too and unsafe, its perfect for Busaras and i would recommend this hostel if you are arriving late or leaving early to Dublin and need somewhere to just sleep. It was very close to the Convention Centre and for one night it was fine but I probably would not stay here again when there are plenty more hostels to choose from, Abigail's is pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we hope to accommodate you again.

Paddy Palace team

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Worst hostel ever!!! Stayed here 2 nights, one prior and one after our paddy wagon tour!!! I recommend you stay up the road. The tour was so amazing but this hostel dampens the whole experience!! We payed for a four share room with private facilities for each night.

On the first we were put in an 8 share with no facilities and after bringing it to their attention we were directed up 6 flights of stairs to a room that could have killed you with its stench. Carpeted floor and no ventilation. Needless to say we did not shower and used the toilet facilities in the pub up the road. The train line was directly outside the window which proved for a bad nights sleep. Security in the building is lacking with someone meant to buzz you into the building, they were letting in people not staying in the hostel and also leaving you waiting at the door for a long time before letting you in, too bad if you were being followed in this unsafe neighbourhood.

On the second night we were put in a 4 share room that did not have the bathroom facilities we paid for. The shared bathrooms had not been cleaned in 18 hours (chart on the door) and could not be locked. Couldn't travel alone as you would have no one to mind the door. Our room was a dungeon with bars on the window that didn't even reach the bottom so someone could have slid under if they wanted. There was about 10cm from the top bunk to the ceiling, so you might not wake up if you hit your head enough. People were being let in not staying in the hostel making it feel very unsafe. Didn't get much sleep due to pure terror of someone entering the room.

One of the staff members was very rude, not only to the patrons but to other staff members also and was very unhelpful even when it came to simple things such as directions. Made you feel very uncomfortable.

Honestly, lucky we made it out alive. Don't do it to yourself. Much nicer hostels for the same price just 100m up the road!!!

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grace R
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay. Based on the location of our hostel you could have easily seen that the tram tracks are passing the building and avoided it all together. We have a secure system where you have to ring the door bell and yes, sometimes it take up to 10 long seconds to wait and we apologize for that. All the rooms are cleaned daily and the all doors can be locked since we checked it ourselves upon reading this comment. I am not sure where you have been staying but it was not this hostel as none of your accusations are true. We only upgrade guests to better rooms never, ever was someone put in an 8 bed dorm after booking a 4 bed dorm and none of our 4 bed dorms have private bathroom which we clearly state that en suite is not an option with us.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I loved the tours I went on and the free airport transfer, but the hostel was awful. The rooms were tiny, extremely loud because the window faces the train track, I had to climb about 10 flights of stairs with my luggage, no hot water in the shower, you have to push a button to make the shower work and it only goes on for 10 seconds at a time, wifi never worked for me, breakfast was instant coffee, toast, and rice krispies or corn flakes. I first stayed in a room for four and then switched to a single. It was expensive considering what you got. Luckily I only spent 2 nights there at the very beginning of my tour.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if there are any good rooms to choose from, it is a very noisy place. Maybe ask fo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. We provide basic hostel accommodation and basic service, which includes simple breakfast that is included in the price. We never state anything else. Our hostel doesn't have a lift which can be checked when asking for information and the shower system with the button is a standard system used in Ireland.

We are glad you enjoyed the tours and hope to welcome you back to Ireland some day.

Regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Paddy's palace is located within walking distance of the Liffey and Temple Bar. I stayed there for 2 nights and took two of their tours. The staff is helpful and cheerful and the tours were light hearted and informative. I carried all my luggage on one of the tours because i was headed to the airport after the tour, and it all fit in the undercarraige of the bus. I'm visiting Ireland twice more this year and will be staying at Paddy's other hostels again. THis tour company and hostels makes Ireland accessible and affordable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you had a pleasant stay. Thank you and I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I just returned from staying at Paddy's Palace, and it was wonderful. I was a bit nervous to go based on some previous reviews, but the offer of the free airport transport and free tour lured me in, and I'm so glad they led me to overlook some bad reviews. The staff were wonderful, from the drivers to the reception staff. Going to and from the airport I was the only one, so it was like a private transfer, and the bus drivers were wonderful to talk to. The room I stayed in was clean, the showers nice and hot, the breakfast good, and though I had to walk up lots of stairs the room on the upper floor was so nice and quiet. I stayed in a ten person room, but there were only 4-5 people there, so that made even quieter so I got a great night's sleep both nights. I thought it was a great location, and as a female solo traveller always felt very safe. I also liked the opportunity to meet other travellers in the common area, and the convenience of having the tours and airport pick-ups right from the hostel (I never had to pay for any transportation). My only complaint was the wifi wasn't very good. But everything else more than made up for that. For the price you pay you get an amazing deal with the free tour and airport transport. It is amazing all you get for so cheap! I would definitely recommend both the hostel and the tours, and would definitely return again! Thanks for a great stay! -Lisa

• Stayed: June 2014
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The location of this hostel is definitely it's biggest selling point. It is an excellent location and only a short walk to many of the main sights in Dublin.

The hostel itself is split in to three buildings. We were not situated in the same building as the reception which was not really an issue, we only had to walk next door for breakfast and to renew our room key each morning. There is only wifi in the reception area which was poor at best, although it connected, it buffered and I was unable to load/use anything.

Our room (room 21, an 8-bed mixed dormitory) was clean, big and the beds were comfortable. The shower was good but you need to continuously press the shower button as it only runs for 30 seconds at a time. There was also a horrible smell (I think this was the plumbing) but it wasn't over-powering. The toilet wasn't in the room, it was on the floor above us which was annoying and inconvenient. The room also faced out on to the street which meant that it was quite noisy, I think it would be a real problem if you were a light sleeper but I had a good nights sleep each night. My friend was also woken up by a very bright streetlamp although when the curtains are closed this isn't a problem.

The staff were outstanding. They were helpful, cheerful and gave wonderful advice. Also the free shuttle bus to the airport is great - the 4am one was especially useful for our early flight.

This was definitely value for money although I don't think I would want to stay in an 8-bed, road-facing dormitory again, as the noise levels were a bit excessive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014