“Great tour providers hostel not so good! ”
Review of Paddy's Palace

and 1 more site!
Paddy's Palace
Ranked #81 of 120 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here before and after my tour good price for the dorms but wouldn't rush back in a hurry! Tours they offer are great! Staff were very helpful! Breakfast was basic kitchen was old! Showers were poor a press button didn't last very long location ok.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Matthew J
There are newer reviews for Paddy's Palace

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Paddy's Palace for 3 nights in July 2014 over a weekend. It was only my second time in a hostel, but after paying £45 for 3 nights in an 8 bed dorm room, i expected something good. £45 might sound reasonable, but compared to other hostels in the same area, it was at the expensive end. Unfortunately it was the cheapest left that wasn't.fully booked when we finally were able to book.

I wouldn't say it was all terrible, but a lot of it was. The luggage storage is not safe. They give the key to anyone who asks for it, and they could easily access the belongings of all others whilst putting in or getting out their own.
Most of the staff were very pleasant but I did have one experience that wasn't very nice at reception whilst I was trying to help a girl who didn't speak much English to her room. She did not know her floor or room number and I went to check at the desk for her and felt as if the woman was just uneccessarily rude as if I/we were stupid.

The toilets and rooms are very clean. But two toilets for a whole floor of people seemed a little too stretched. And only two showers too.
Which brings me onto the worst part... The showers are ice cold, no matter what time of day. I had to finish washing my hair in the sink because it was so bad. (but even the taps don't heat up at all.) I know it may seem like something so small but when you're walking around a city in the middle of summer, or attending concerts as i did, a hot, even warm shower can be the difference between enjoying your stay, and not at all. This is really something that needs to be sorted.

There are no lockers in the rooms, there were two plug sockets for 8 people, and everything is so cramped that is is unbearabley hot, which meant all windows had to be open on the night, bringing in a lot of noise and contributing towards a bad sleep.
The beds are quite comfy, but if you move even an inch you'll be greeted with the sound of the whole bunk squeaking with your every movement.

The free bus to the airport was a life saver for us at 4am.

So I guess if you don't want to shower at all during your stay and keep your valuables on you at all times, then you'll be okay... At the very least i would say this place is okay for 1 night and no more.

Honestly, i've never written a review before, and i travel a heck of a lot and stay in cheap places. But i really really hated my stay at this hostel and felt like it couldn't go unsaid.

So be wise, get in there early and book somewhere else before the good places go.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emmy Rhoslyn P
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I made the mistake of staying at Paddy's for one night before taking the 3 day Paddy Wagon tour. My sister and I booked a private room for the night but were told at check in that the room had been double booked so we ended up in a 8 bed female dorm. This seems to be a regular problem at Paddy's. Two of our bunkmates had originally been in a different room but they went out to dinner and when they returned there were people sleeping in their beds. I immediately noticed that safety was going to be a concern because their were some questionable locals checking in. We later learned that Paddy's does allow locals to live there. The room itself wasn't bad but the bathrooms were horrid. There were two single person bathrooms for the entire building and only one was usable. One of the doors had been kicked in and the there were nails sticking out of the frame. Needless to say you could not shut the door to use the toilet.

Heed the warnings and do not stay here. There are plenty of better options in Dublin.

Room Tip: Choose a different hostel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marissa A
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We apologize for your unpleasant stay, we had issues with people vandalizing our hostel therefore there were several malfunctions throughout the building. We are fixing everything as we speak and we hope you had a wonderful time on the tour.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

No complaints about the price, we paid around 15euro per night each, which is good value considering the location just a 2 min walk to O'Connell Street and 15 minutes to Temple Bar. The hostel was very clean and plenty of bathrooms so that we never needed to wait. The rooms would be a lot better if they had lockers in them however. Unfortunately the wifi didn't work at all. It does get noisy in the evening and so I wouldn't recommend if you want to sleep early, but we found it fitted our needs well as somewhere to crash after an evening at the bars.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we hope to accommodate you again.

Paddy Palace team

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for one night over the weekend in a 10 bed dorm, I did not have great expectations based on this and one of the main reasons I booked it was down to the free airport transfer to the hostel (which in the end I never used as I purchased the aircoach ticket whilst on my ryanair flight which was only 6euro) if you are on a budget and a tight one at that, there are a few pros, the bus, the free tour if you stay and book in advance, its very central, the beds were clean, firm mattress, showers were ok- I showered at 7am so before anyone else had a chance to obliterate them. Now the cons, the dorm was at the top of a very narrow 3 flights, I did not feel very safe as a lone female, thankfully 2 of the beds were not occupied as the room was very small with only 2 plug sockets which naturally were being used. I really would not like to chance my odds of survival in a fire as there really would be no escape. There was no wifi in this side of the building so you have to sit in the lobby which is very small and run down. The whole hostel felt very dated, the booking was messed up showing that there were two of us staying for five nights? I arrived at 10 am but check in was 13:00 the new receptionist basically advised it was not safe to leave my bags in the shared room. The kitchen was tiny too but a basic breakfast of toast, cereals, juices and tea and coffee was available from rather early until about 9.30ish, no good if you want a lie in. Oh and the lock on the entrance to the hostel was broken so the receptionist had to actually walk around with me to let me in. The area outside feels run down too and unsafe, its perfect for Busaras and i would recommend this hostel if you are arriving late or leaving early to Dublin and need somewhere to just sleep. It was very close to the Convention Centre and for one night it was fine but I probably would not stay here again when there are plenty more hostels to choose from, Abigail's is pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we hope to accommodate you again.

Paddy Palace team

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Worst hostel ever!!! Stayed here 2 nights, one prior and one after our paddy wagon tour!!! I recommend you stay up the road. The tour was so amazing but this hostel dampens the whole experience!! We payed for a four share room with private facilities for each night.

On the first we were put in an 8 share with no facilities and after bringing it to their attention we were directed up 6 flights of stairs to a room that could have killed you with its stench. Carpeted floor and no ventilation. Needless to say we did not shower and used the toilet facilities in the pub up the road. The train line was directly outside the window which proved for a bad nights sleep. Security in the building is lacking with someone meant to buzz you into the building, they were letting in people not staying in the hostel and also leaving you waiting at the door for a long time before letting you in, too bad if you were being followed in this unsafe neighbourhood.

On the second night we were put in a 4 share room that did not have the bathroom facilities we paid for. The shared bathrooms had not been cleaned in 18 hours (chart on the door) and could not be locked. Couldn't travel alone as you would have no one to mind the door. Our room was a dungeon with bars on the window that didn't even reach the bottom so someone could have slid under if they wanted. There was about 10cm from the top bunk to the ceiling, so you might not wake up if you hit your head enough. People were being let in not staying in the hostel making it feel very unsafe. Didn't get much sleep due to pure terror of someone entering the room.

One of the staff members was very rude, not only to the patrons but to other staff members also and was very unhelpful even when it came to simple things such as directions. Made you feel very uncomfortable.

Honestly, lucky we made it out alive. Don't do it to yourself. Much nicer hostels for the same price just 100m up the road!!!

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grace R
Tony S, Manager at Paddy's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay. Based on the location of our hostel you could have easily seen that the tram tracks are passing the building and avoided it all together. We have a secure system where you have to ring the door bell and yes, sometimes it take up to 10 long seconds to wait and we apologize for that. All the rooms are cleaned daily and the all doors can be locked since we checked it ourselves upon reading this comment. I am not sure where you have been staying but it was not this hostel as none of your accusations are true. We only upgrade guests to better rooms never, ever was someone put in an 8 bed dorm after booking a 4 bed dorm and none of our 4 bed dorms have private bathroom which we clearly state that en suite is not an option with us.

Regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I loved the tours I went on and the free airport transfer, but the hostel was awful. The rooms were tiny, extremely loud because the window faces the train track, I had to climb about 10 flights of stairs with my luggage, no hot water in the shower, you have to push a button to make the shower work and it only goes on for 10 seconds at a time, wifi never worked for me, breakfast was instant coffee, toast, and rice krispies or corn flakes. I first stayed in a room for four and then switched to a single. It was expensive considering what you got. Luckily I only spent 2 nights there at the very beginning of my tour.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if there are any good rooms to choose from, it is a very noisy place. Maybe ask fo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. We provide basic hostel accommodation and basic service, which includes simple breakfast that is included in the price. We never state anything else. Our hostel doesn't have a lift which can be checked when asking for information and the shower system with the button is a standard system used in Ireland.

We are glad you enjoyed the tours and hope to welcome you back to Ireland some day.

Regards,