“Old, tired and noisy”

Grafton Capital Hotel
Ranked #124 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel has good location for the centre of town and the rooms are clean but that is where any positive feedback ends.

The rooms are very small, the bed old and uncomfortable, no airconditioning and I would estimate that the last redecoration was in 1972. There is a large bar associated with the hotel downstairs which on certain nights plays dance music until 1 am with a bass sufficient to shake the rooms - I have nothing against partying until beyond 1am but would prefer a hotel to provide accommodation that it suitable for sleeping in too. The walls are very thin which leaves little to the imagination as to what is going on in the adjacent bathroom.

All of this wouldn't be too bad if it was a budget hotel but I was paying €140 room only and whilst working in the city for 5 weeks stayed in premium hotels for this money. To be fair to the hotel, the city was very full this week so the price would have been adjusted to market demand but for the quality of accommodation I considered this very steep.

In summary, unless you're in town to party all night, I would try and find somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank James17382
There are newer reviews for Grafton Capital Hotel

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have stayed at the Grafton Capital Hotel once before, and we chose it again for its great central location just off Grafton St. in Dublin. It had been updated since we were last here, and this time the elevators worked, which was a good thing. It is a bit pricey, but the rooms are spacious and clean. Also, for its central location, it was surprisingly quiet, which was a huge plus.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here on a recent tip to Dublin. We booked last minute so didn't do much research into where we were staying. In fairness the location is excellent and at a push we'd probably consider staying again in the future as it was so convenient! The hotel itself is fine but very basic. The room we stayed in was small but was clean. There is a night club adjoined to the hotel but the noise didn't disturb us as we were out late ourselves. However, I would see this as a problem for families with small children or couples looking for a relaxing stay.

We found the service the worst part of the hotel. On check in there was no evidence of our booking. We had to produce the email on our iPhone as proof. Turns out reception got the dates mixed up and had our room organised for the following day. They weren't apologetic as we waited, they pretty much ignored us and chatted as one changed their mistake and the other counted cash and talked about 'closing the website as no rooms were now left'. Had we arrived any later would we have been left with no room? When our room was organised the beds were separate, we reserved a double, and after dropping off our bags housecleaning asked us to leave so they could zip up the beds and change the sheets. It wasn't a huge problem but it meant our overall experience was negative, a lot of waiting around through no fault of our own.

I wouldn't be comfortable recommending this hotel for anyone who wanted a nice experience or break but if you want somewhere central it's a great choice!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel is a bit pricy (at least for dates we were staying) and it is an older hotel but great location and rooms were nice and clean. Front desk staff very helpful with references to eat and directions. There was street noise during the night that could be disturbing for light sleepers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the weekend wit my 3 other friends two rooms while I found both rooms out dated our room was clean so I was happy but our friends room was not the same. There was an awful smell in the bathroom so they had to keep the bathroom door shut their room was how ever cool as they could open the when where in our room the window was broken and would not stay open so the soon was way to warm to sleep or even try to get ready to go out also the sockets in the roon were so bad as they do not fit normal plugs and we had a huge issue wit lighting as nearly all the lights in our room did not work and we had to keep going to our friends room trying to got ready to go out. The most important part was the staff although checking in the lady behind the desk said all the right things it was very fake and had been very rude at the start as she could you find our name on the booking and was just like no can't find it and was happy to just ignore us then but it turns out she was looking up the wrong name as she misheard me but to top it off was when we returned to the hotel that nite we decided to leave the bar in town early and get a last drink in the residents bar but when the man finally let us back into the hotel my friend politely asked him sorry can you tell us how to get to the R bar where he laughed and said what R bar she then said its a hotel the R bar and very rudely he said " its a 3 star your staying in love not a 5 star " we were left speechless and for this reason we will def not be in a hurry to return to this hotel it was cheap wit a good location but you get what you pay for and after reading the mixed reviews I took the chance but trust me its worth paying the extra few pound for a better hotel

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pamela F
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Grafton Capital Hotel is a very basic room set in an amazing location. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable, the room wasn't well appointed and the TV was a relic from a time past, but it wasn't a bad place altogether. The thing that really saves Grafton is its location, you really can't beat it. Only a five minute walk to St Stephen's Green, 10 minutes to Trinity College and Temple Bar and less than 5 minutes to Grafton St. I don't know if I would stay here again but I don't regret staying here either.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed there this weekend solely because it was one of the few remaining hotels on offer and the hotels I would usually stay in were all booked out.

The location was perfect centre city and easy to get to. It was definitely not in a quiet area with pubs and clubs all around but that didn't bother me.

The staff were friendly upon checkin.

Reaching my room I was faced with an old fashioned room. The carpets could seriously do with being cleaned (I put on socks to avoid walking barefoot!!), the end of the walls was also stained with an orangey substance that looks like something was splashed on them. I do not want to know what!

My biggest annoyance was the lack of power sockets in the room. There were plenty of old fashioned 3 pin sockets but no power source near the bed which made it difficult for charging a phone overnight. I would advise anyone wanting to sit in bed using a device that needs charging to bring their own extension cable!!

While the hotel has wifi I was unable to get a signal from the second floor.

Would I stay again? Well let's just say I was relived to be staying on a friends couch the following night!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo