“Not all its made out to be” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dawson Hotel & Spa

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #110 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Not all its made out to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of December. We were having a work night in town and I decided to treat myself to a nice night in La Stampa Hotel - I had heard great things about it and read good reviews. From the moment I arrived, the girls at reception seemed a little distracted - I got checked in fairly quickly and a very nice man came to help me with my bags, as its quite a long walk through the Samsara Bar to the lift. After coming out of the lift, it was a bit of a maze to the room - but eventually found it. It was OK. Views were dreadful - first of a wall and the second of another wall, and as I looked around the room, I found it to be lacking anything luxury about it. I saw cracks in the bedroom, and I as I walked out to the shops to grab a newspaper, I noticed that the walls in the halls were also very grubby and cracked. When I came back to the room, I decided to order room service, but found no menu in the room. I called down to reception and about 15 minutes later a staff member arrived at my door, and told me very curtly to quickly look at the menu and decide there and then while he was standing there. I quickly decided on a Club Sandwich. It arrived a while later - Cold, and tasteless. Very unappealing. I didn't avail of the breakfast the following morning, so can't comment on this. I think for the price I paid, there are far nicer hotels around that part of Dublin City, and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank goldenlane100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and definitely won't be the last time. Well appointed rooms and facilities and the staff were all very friendly.
Thank you for your hospitality.

Dublin, Éire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Booking: I booked their spa + room offer. I emailed well in advance and recieved excellent support on the various pricing and booking options. I had to follow up with a phone call for credit card details, but forgot, but they were helpful and email / called to follow up.

Location: This hotel is bang in the centre of Dublin, two minute walk from Grafton St, Stephens green, the park, and lots of restaurants and cafes. We're Dublin natives, but it would be convenient for anyone who wants to be in the city.

Customer Service: Our check in was hampered a little bit by multiple people checking in and the main check in person being away temporarily, but, the quality of the service was excellent and we were barely delayed.

The Room: we booked a junior suite, which was really quite nice. I've uploaded some photos as well. I guess I booked the suite because it was a special occasion and we were celebrating, and certainly it is not your average hotel room. However, size of the room aside, I think you're really paying for the view and the room decoration. It was quite nice, and individual, and of a very high standard but there was something missing. Something around room layout, I think. But, it was certainly somewhat bespoke, so definitely worth it.

Access and noise: We were on the third or fourth floor, and we took the stairs. I believe there is a lift in the back, but its not really used for getting to rooms, so anyone with limited mobility should consider this. Additonally, if you get a room facing the street, be prepared for some street noise - this kept my partner up at night. We stayed the weekend before Xmas so there were significantly more people socialising than there would usually be in this location.

Breakfast: This is where you really see the boutique part of the hotel. The main dining room is exquisitely decorated and incredibly beautiful. The food was amazing and had a great menu. The service left a lot to be desired (slow to seat us, slow to take our order, slow to bring some elements like tea and coffee), but, because of the venue (and the fact that we werent on business and didnt REALLY mind the delay) its still totally worthwhile booking.

Hotel: it is under some reconstruction around the stairs and some rooms. Obviously this isnt very visually appealing, but we didnt mind. I do think though that it's something they should advise you of before you book.

Spa treatment: An above average spa, great treatment, hour long massage was really amazing. Would recommend.

Overall: Lovely hotel, great location, good service, great deal. Be prepared to take the stairs, the potential for street noise, and know that there are some renovations happening.

Room Tip: For the view, if you go mid-week (quieter), ask for street view. If you're going at a weekend...
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We spent saturday night in Samara bar,brilliant night great service,lovley venue.We late min looked into seeing if there was any availabilty in La Stampa hotel,we were told it was full and a girl who had brown hair,Perhaps a duty manager asked us to leave or she would get security to remove us!Hilarious,both myself and my friend are 5ft5,normally one hotel recommends another!we left with our jaws hitting the ground in amazement.We then went to the Shelbourne where the man on the desk kindly booked us a room in the Conrad,both hotels were helpfull and our stay was perfect in the Conrad.
In an industry that depends on repeat custom,if this was my hotel I would avoid having rude staff that frighten anyone away!

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Liz C

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Quinta do Lago, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

This hotel is built around the bar.
To go to the rooms using the lift you have to pass trough the bar.
But what a fabulous bar.Great ambience.Great barwomen.
The best bar in Dublin.The place to see and to be seen.
The rooms,and we stayed in a suite,are a little bit tired.But ok.
Very well located is a place to stay if you go to Dublin.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed overnight on a weekend trip to Dublin city. The team at the reservations desk, are very efficient and we had a porter who carried all of our luggage to the 3rd floor ( 6 ladies on a night out carry a lot of bags!! ). There is lift service to all floors.
The rooms we chose were twin rooms and they are smartly furnished almost in an oriental luxury style. Fantastic bathroom with antique style brass taps, heated towel rails, huge bath, shower and marble sink with great lighting.
The dinning room is beautiful georgian opulence with floor to ceiling mirrors, fabulous floral arrangements and the chandeliers are dazzling with the ornate glass stained ceiling. Major wow factor.
The menu is extensive, it is not cheap, but when in an establishment like this, you are going to pay for not just the food, but for the experience. Between 5 ladies, we all had starters, main courses and dessert, fab cheese board and 3 bottles of wine. Bill was 448 euros, excluding tip. The service was slow, but the staff compensated that with a complimentary bottle of wine.
For those who want to dance the night away there is a very chique club downstairs with a huge selection of cocktails spirits beer wine etc and full waiter service too.
The next day, you can relax and indulge in the spa area to ease the aching limbs from dancing!
Breakfast is a full buffet and was included in the price of 85euro each for the overnight stay. There is a full menu of hot foods to choose from at breakfast. Service here very good too.
Despite the fact we were checking out at noon and stayed in the city shopping till 8pm, the reception staff, took all of our luggage and bags and very kindly safe guarded them behind the desk until we wanted to depart.
We enjoyed a couple of delicious glasses of sauvignon at the funky, trendy bar with superb lighting, which ended our great time on a very happy note.
Location wise, this hotel is excellent. It is in the epicentre of Dublin city. Just seconds from Stephens Green, The Shelbourne hotel and Grafton street, Powerscourt Shopping Centre.
This is the BEST side of the city and the most luxurious side of the city for style and for comfort, for shopping and for the large selection of fantastic restaurants and uber trendy coffee houses.

Not to be missed !

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces out onto Dawson Street and one that is higher up, to lessen the street noi...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Roscommon, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the 19th of November and found it very bad from once we entered the hotel from once we left..Thankfully it was only one nights stay.
Its very old fashioned and dreary looking,long corridors with dirty carpets. you have to walk through a bar to get to your room,very noisy at night time. our room was very average, the next morning we went down stairs through the bar which the floor was very sticky, we entered the breakfast room where we waited to be seated and noticed a fly at first buzzing around the place,we did not pass much heed to this at first but as we continued to eat our breakfast it became more obvious that there was loads of flies flying around our table and other tables also, this was stomach turning and very off putting which we quickly left the dining room and mentioned this to the receptionist who replied that there was very little they could do.We won't be returning to this hotel on our next visit to Dublin.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple