“Good but not mind blowing.”

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #101 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 January 2012

It was a good hotel, but I found the furnishings a bit dated. Also we passed a patch of damp in the hallway on the way to the room and there was no view from the room. Also the staff were a little surly. The bar was gorgeous though and the restaurant, well that was spectacular - eat there if you get the chance. The club downstairs was also good - nearby, not too packed and with music you want to dance to, while not making your ears bleed.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed in La Stampa with friends. We had different room types so we got to see a fair share of the hotel.
Firstly the reception area is tiny, with a rather curt receptionist. But that isnt really an issue. I didnt go to sit in the reception !!
So to get to the rooms we were taken on a magical mystery tour though the hotel and the next door Sam Sara bar/pub/wine bar. Sam Sara is beautiful. But I would have preferred to not be exhausted by the time I got to my room. this is teh only way to the rooms !!
So we were led along corridor after corridor. Grubby corridors. Paint peeling, damp patches, mattress lying around and heavily scuffed walls.
I was SHOCKED and so disappointed even before I got to the room.
Anyway room was ok, dull with a view of a brick wall. Our friends room, which was in fact a suite was nicer, very nice in fact but we were all let down by the "getting" to the room.
So, good points. The location !! Couldnt be better. But for the price, this hotel should spend a couple of euros and paint the place !!! Also a smile at reception wouldnt go amiss !!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dawnriser
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We had 10 rooms booked early December on a Friday night...... everyone was in good form but when we checked in some people got really goods rooms with others on the shabby side but worst of all was 2 rooms had not been cleaned or made up and there was dirty dishes on the bed, hair etc. all over the bathroom...... really disappointing. The bar was good but very busy and understaffed so to get a drink we had to leave and go to another bar close by.... Breakfast was good but the room was in need of a major overhaul. Won't be rushing back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank DisappointedVisitor1
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of December. We were having a work night in town and I decided to treat myself to a nice night in La Stampa Hotel - I had heard great things about it and read good reviews. From the moment I arrived, the girls at reception seemed a little distracted - I got checked in fairly quickly and a very nice man came to help me with my bags, as its quite a long walk through the Samsara Bar to the lift. After coming out of the lift, it was a bit of a maze to the room - but eventually found it. It was OK. Views were dreadful - first of a wall and the second of another wall, and as I looked around the room, I found it to be lacking anything luxury about it. I saw cracks in the bedroom, and I as I walked out to the shops to grab a newspaper, I noticed that the walls in the halls were also very grubby and cracked. When I came back to the room, I decided to order room service, but found no menu in the room. I called down to reception and about 15 minutes later a staff member arrived at my door, and told me very curtly to quickly look at the menu and decide there and then while he was standing there. I quickly decided on a Club Sandwich. It arrived a while later - Cold, and tasteless. Very unappealing. I didn't avail of the breakfast the following morning, so can't comment on this. I think for the price I paid, there are far nicer hotels around that part of Dublin City, and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank goldenlane100
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and definitely won't be the last time. Well appointed rooms and facilities and the staff were all very friendly.
Thank you for your hospitality.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Booking: I booked their spa + room offer. I emailed well in advance and recieved excellent support on the various pricing and booking options. I had to follow up with a phone call for credit card details, but forgot, but they were helpful and email / called to follow up.

Location: This hotel is bang in the centre of Dublin, two minute walk from Grafton St, Stephens green, the park, and lots of restaurants and cafes. We're Dublin natives, but it would be convenient for anyone who wants to be in the city.

Customer Service: Our check in was hampered a little bit by multiple people checking in and the main check in person being away temporarily, but, the quality of the service was excellent and we were barely delayed.

The Room: we booked a junior suite, which was really quite nice. I've uploaded some photos as well. I guess I booked the suite because it was a special occasion and we were celebrating, and certainly it is not your average hotel room. However, size of the room aside, I think you're really paying for the view and the room decoration. It was quite nice, and individual, and of a very high standard but there was something missing. Something around room layout, I think. But, it was certainly somewhat bespoke, so definitely worth it.

Access and noise: We were on the third or fourth floor, and we took the stairs. I believe there is a lift in the back, but its not really used for getting to rooms, so anyone with limited mobility should consider this. Additonally, if you get a room facing the street, be prepared for some street noise - this kept my partner up at night. We stayed the weekend before Xmas so there were significantly more people socialising than there would usually be in this location.

Breakfast: This is where you really see the boutique part of the hotel. The main dining room is exquisitely decorated and incredibly beautiful. The food was amazing and had a great menu. The service left a lot to be desired (slow to seat us, slow to take our order, slow to bring some elements like tea and coffee), but, because of the venue (and the fact that we werent on business and didnt REALLY mind the delay) its still totally worthwhile booking.

Hotel: it is under some reconstruction around the stairs and some rooms. Obviously this isnt very visually appealing, but we didnt mind. I do think though that it's something they should advise you of before you book.

Spa treatment: An above average spa, great treatment, hour long massage was really amazing. Would recommend.

Overall: Lovely hotel, great location, good service, great deal. Be prepared to take the stairs, the potential for street noise, and know that there are some renovations happening.

Room Tip: For the view, if you go mid-week (quieter), ask for street view. If you're going at a weekend...
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We spent saturday night in Samara bar,brilliant night great service,lovley venue.We late min looked into seeing if there was any availabilty in La Stampa hotel,we were told it was full and a girl who had brown hair,Perhaps a duty manager asked us to leave or she would get security to remove us!Hilarious,both myself and my friend are 5ft5,normally one hotel recommends another!we left with our jaws hitting the ground in amazement.We then went to the Shelbourne where the man on the desk kindly booked us a room in the Conrad,both hotels were helpfull and our stay was perfect in the Conrad.
In an industry that depends on repeat custom,if this was my hotel I would avoid having rude staff that frighten anyone away!

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends