“A well earned break ruined by rude service”

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #109 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“A well earned break ruined by rude service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We arrived looking forward to a much needed break in Dublin city centre. On arrival staff were sullen and unfriendly. They also wouldn't accept a company credit card. Instead of being shown to the elevator we were walked up the stairs to the fourth floor( the elevator was working). There were also maintenance men working on the stairwell which we had to navigate around.
When we returned to the hotel after a lovely evening at the theatre the bar was open but empty. I asked for a cocktail from the list on the bar but the bartender refused. So we took a glass of wine to our room.
At 5 a.m the fire alarm went off, I had to ring reception to find out what was happening. I was told to all was fine, not really considering we were on the top floor. We left the next day. I would never stay there again. It really did ruin what was supposed to be a night off from the kids, work,life.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Ciaraoconnell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

It was a good hotel, but I found the furnishings a bit dated. Also we passed a patch of damp in the hallway on the way to the room and there was no view from the room. Also the staff were a little surly. The bar was gorgeous though and the restaurant, well that was spectacular - eat there if you get the chance. The club downstairs was also good - nearby, not too packed and with music you want to dance to, while not making your ears bleed.

ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed in La Stampa with friends. We had different room types so we got to see a fair share of the hotel.
Firstly the reception area is tiny, with a rather curt receptionist. But that isnt really an issue. I didnt go to sit in the reception !!
So to get to the rooms we were taken on a magical mystery tour though the hotel and the next door Sam Sara bar/pub/wine bar. Sam Sara is beautiful. But I would have preferred to not be exhausted by the time I got to my room. this is teh only way to the rooms !!
So we were led along corridor after corridor. Grubby corridors. Paint peeling, damp patches, mattress lying around and heavily scuffed walls.
I was SHOCKED and so disappointed even before I got to the room.
Anyway room was ok, dull with a view of a brick wall. Our friends room, which was in fact a suite was nicer, very nice in fact but we were all let down by the "getting" to the room.
So, good points. The location !! Couldnt be better. But for the price, this hotel should spend a couple of euros and paint the place !!! Also a smile at reception wouldnt go amiss !!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dawnriser

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We had 10 rooms booked early December on a Friday night...... everyone was in good form but when we checked in some people got really goods rooms with others on the shabby side but worst of all was 2 rooms had not been cleaned or made up and there was dirty dishes on the bed, hair etc. all over the bathroom...... really disappointing. The bar was good but very busy and understaffed so to get a drink we had to leave and go to another bar close by.... Breakfast was good but the room was in need of a major overhaul. Won't be rushing back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DisappointedVisitor1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of December. We were having a work night in town and I decided to treat myself to a nice night in La Stampa Hotel - I had heard great things about it and read good reviews. From the moment I arrived, the girls at reception seemed a little distracted - I got checked in fairly quickly and a very nice man came to help me with my bags, as its quite a long walk through the Samsara Bar to the lift. After coming out of the lift, it was a bit of a maze to the room - but eventually found it. It was OK. Views were dreadful - first of a wall and the second of another wall, and as I looked around the room, I found it to be lacking anything luxury about it. I saw cracks in the bedroom, and I as I walked out to the shops to grab a newspaper, I noticed that the walls in the halls were also very grubby and cracked. When I came back to the room, I decided to order room service, but found no menu in the room. I called down to reception and about 15 minutes later a staff member arrived at my door, and told me very curtly to quickly look at the menu and decide there and then while he was standing there. I quickly decided on a Club Sandwich. It arrived a while later - Cold, and tasteless. Very unappealing. I didn't avail of the breakfast the following morning, so can't comment on this. I think for the price I paid, there are far nicer hotels around that part of Dublin City, and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank goldenlane100
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and definitely won't be the last time. Well appointed rooms and facilities and the staff were all very friendly.
Thank you for your hospitality.

Dublin, Éire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Booking: I booked their spa + room offer. I emailed well in advance and recieved excellent support on the various pricing and booking options. I had to follow up with a phone call for credit card details, but forgot, but they were helpful and email / called to follow up.

Location: This hotel is bang in the centre of Dublin, two minute walk from Grafton St, Stephens green, the park, and lots of restaurants and cafes. We're Dublin natives, but it would be convenient for anyone who wants to be in the city.

Customer Service: Our check in was hampered a little bit by multiple people checking in and the main check in person being away temporarily, but, the quality of the service was excellent and we were barely delayed.

The Room: we booked a junior suite, which was really quite nice. I've uploaded some photos as well. I guess I booked the suite because it was a special occasion and we were celebrating, and certainly it is not your average hotel room. However, size of the room aside, I think you're really paying for the view and the room decoration. It was quite nice, and individual, and of a very high standard but there was something missing. Something around room layout, I think. But, it was certainly somewhat bespoke, so definitely worth it.

Access and noise: We were on the third or fourth floor, and we took the stairs. I believe there is a lift in the back, but its not really used for getting to rooms, so anyone with limited mobility should consider this. Additonally, if you get a room facing the street, be prepared for some street noise - this kept my partner up at night. We stayed the weekend before Xmas so there were significantly more people socialising than there would usually be in this location.

Breakfast: This is where you really see the boutique part of the hotel. The main dining room is exquisitely decorated and incredibly beautiful. The food was amazing and had a great menu. The service left a lot to be desired (slow to seat us, slow to take our order, slow to bring some elements like tea and coffee), but, because of the venue (and the fact that we werent on business and didnt REALLY mind the delay) its still totally worthwhile booking.

Hotel: it is under some reconstruction around the stairs and some rooms. Obviously this isnt very visually appealing, but we didnt mind. I do think though that it's something they should advise you of before you book.

Spa treatment: An above average spa, great treatment, hour long massage was really amazing. Would recommend.

Overall: Lovely hotel, great location, good service, great deal. Be prepared to take the stairs, the potential for street noise, and know that there are some renovations happening.

Room Tip: For the view, if you go mid-week (quieter), ask for street view. If you're going at a weekend...