“We really enjoyed our stay at La Stampa”

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #102 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our frieds recommended us the hotel La Stampa in Dublin. A cosy hotel with good location, very nice room and nice hotel staff which was important for us. We´ll definitely come back again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Dawson Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 19 January 2012

we stayed in la stampa for the second time on our new years trip to dublin. is the perfect location for shoping for nice restaurants and great pubs on your doorstep. the rooms are nice but no blanket in room and pillows were not to onr taste had to use the cushions instead.still location winns me over and would definately recommend this hotel. I was however a little disappointed on our visit as my partner surprised me on new years eve by proposing to me in our room he has organised it with the staff to let him leave a surprise in the room for me on our check in. anyway I was thrilled and so happy. couldnt wait to tell people told the staff on reception. am disappointed that noone thought to make a little fuss over us for our special occasion a free bottle of bubbly a room upgrade an invite to come back next year nothing surely a little treat wouldnt have put the management out too much ?lets face it its not everyday a couple use your hotel to get engaged in!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Great small boutique hotel, I would describe as "shabby chic" easy check in and shown to room by staff.
The hotel has a moroccan theme throughout, which has a warm cosy feel
If I was to be picky it possibly does need a little upkeep in parts, the bathrooms were slightly outdated and do not fit the morocccan th eme but are clean and pefectly adaquate.
The hall ways are being revamped but all in all I would stay here again and again...
location is just perfect, restaurants in the same road include marco pierre whites and fire and the hotel itself has a fantastic cocktail bar attatched that has a very sexy feel to it..
we took advantage of the cocktail offers
Would reccomment "fire" restaurant opposite.
the hotel back on to o'connel street where there are department stores etc...
I stay in 4-5* hotels around he world..... this does what it says on the tin, if you want really really top quality and pay the price this is perhaps not the place but for £100 per night for great location, standard and cleanliness this is the place....
if you are the type of traveller that prefers the chain hotel style this is not the place but for those after relaxed and chic... then stay here

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank looboo500
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Dont get me wrong, this is not a bad hotel, but there is something missing. Location is great - its on Dawson Street, one of the main streets in Dublin re restaurants and nightlife. However, its not quite worth the money...I stayed in the Junior Suite (turkish room or something or other) which is a sizeable room with large bathroom etc...but the hotel lacks a little character and atmosphere. Maybe its because its having a makeover at present im not sure...

Great service though and good help from reception re good nightspots etc. Its near Baggot street which has a great selection of bars etc - visit O'Donohues by the way - great guinness.

Room Tip: Visit O'Donoghue's Bar on Baggot Street (and the others - great selection of irish tradition...
3  Thank doscal
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We arrived looking forward to a much needed break in Dublin city centre. On arrival staff were sullen and unfriendly. They also wouldn't accept a company credit card. Instead of being shown to the elevator we were walked up the stairs to the fourth floor( the elevator was working). There were also maintenance men working on the stairwell which we had to navigate around.
When we returned to the hotel after a lovely evening at the theatre the bar was open but empty. I asked for a cocktail from the list on the bar but the bartender refused. So we took a glass of wine to our room.
At 5 a.m the fire alarm went off, I had to ring reception to find out what was happening. I was told to all was fine, not really considering we were on the top floor. We left the next day. I would never stay there again. It really did ruin what was supposed to be a night off from the kids, work,life.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Ciaraoconnell
Reviewed 13 January 2012

It was a good hotel, but I found the furnishings a bit dated. Also we passed a patch of damp in the hallway on the way to the room and there was no view from the room. Also the staff were a little surly. The bar was gorgeous though and the restaurant, well that was spectacular - eat there if you get the chance. The club downstairs was also good - nearby, not too packed and with music you want to dance to, while not making your ears bleed.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed in La Stampa with friends. We had different room types so we got to see a fair share of the hotel.
Firstly the reception area is tiny, with a rather curt receptionist. But that isnt really an issue. I didnt go to sit in the reception !!
So to get to the rooms we were taken on a magical mystery tour though the hotel and the next door Sam Sara bar/pub/wine bar. Sam Sara is beautiful. But I would have preferred to not be exhausted by the time I got to my room. this is teh only way to the rooms !!
So we were led along corridor after corridor. Grubby corridors. Paint peeling, damp patches, mattress lying around and heavily scuffed walls.
I was SHOCKED and so disappointed even before I got to the room.
Anyway room was ok, dull with a view of a brick wall. Our friends room, which was in fact a suite was nicer, very nice in fact but we were all let down by the "getting" to the room.
So, good points. The location !! Couldnt be better. But for the price, this hotel should spend a couple of euros and paint the place !!! Also a smile at reception wouldnt go amiss !!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple