“Excellent”

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #106 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I choose to stay at the Dawson hotel because of it's location. We were going to the Gaiety theatre and the Dawson hotel is within walking distance. We arrived not knowing where the nearest parking was but luckily a porter from the hotel happily guided us. The staff were very friendly, approachable and accommodating. This includes all the staff from the receptionist and porter's to the bar staff and bouncers everyone was so welcoming and friendly. The hotel was well presented, clean and tidy. The restaurant was fantastic, the food was amazing. I found the Dawson hotel to be good value for money considering it's location. Overall really great experience would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have recently returned from a weekend away in ireland and on the saturday night stayed at this hotel, first impressions were very good, superb location which I believe would be hard to beat, rooms well decorated and a good size, staff friendly and polite . Unfortunately our nights "sleep" was ruined as the bar downstairs ramped up the music to nightclub level and it went on til 3am, when we spoke to reception the next day we were told that the bar had recently been taken over and since then the hotel had been inundated with complaints about it, to the extent that they now avoid using half the rooms that are above the bar. Such a shame as if it hadnt been for that I would have had no hesitation in recomending it. I realise that dublin is a party place but when you chose to stay in a boutique hotel and spa you dont expect a nightclub below!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 372Emz
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked this hotel for one night, mainly due to its fantastic location in the centre of Dublin City. I hadn't read any of the online reviews beforehand, just really loved the look of the place from the website. Check in was seamless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our Junior Suite room was fantastic, clean and really well decorated. However, the public stairways and corridors do need a fresh lick of paint. There were also scuff marks on the skirting boards and walls of our room. I didn't mind this too much as the room was lovely.

While reading the online reviews, I noticed that a common theme was the noise problem. Dawson street is a very busy street, with bars, restaurants and late night venues littered up down. We had no problem sleeping and didn't hear any noise, probably because we got back to our hotel room after a night out and everything in the vicinity had closed up for the night.

We didn't have breakfast, but from their prices online, €30 for a hotel breakfast for 2 is very steep. We ate in a beautiful coffee shop nearby and paid about €15 for the 2 of us for breakfast. Take the room only rate here as there is much better value to be had outside of the hotel

A word of warning regarding the mini bar. There was no price list given with the mini bar drinks (and if there was, it was hidden somewhere as I never found it). There was no notice to say that the mini bar was not complementary. Nothing anywhere with a price list for drinks. All in all, I was charged €29 for a small bottle of champagne (which I could have bought in any supermarket for less than €6) and €6 for a bottle of Corona. Very very disappointing.

Reasonable parking is provided in Setanta Car Park, just off South Frederick Street which is the next street over from Dawson street. 24 hour parking for €17.50 (very good) and the hotel will validate your parking ticket at checkout. Very handy service

All in all, I can recommend the Dawson Hotel for a short break in Dublin. It was very clean and our room was beautiful, bathroom was very spacious too. I will definetly stay here again, although I am not 100% sure if I could cope with the noise on the street below

Room Tip: Ask for the specials on the Junior/Deluxe suites.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

When I first showed up to the hotel first impressions were pretty good. Staff were lovely and my room looked lovely. We had a lower couch area were tge bathroom was situated and then a small stairs up to where the bed was. The room was beautifully furnished and had a very comfortable bed. But there was no spare pillows or blanket in the closet like I have found in other hotels.We didn't really get any sleep. Right out side our window there was a very loud boiler type thing which ran loudly all night. And above us there must have been a room similar to ours (one with a small stairs in it) because every time the people in the room above us walked about or used their stairs we could Hear them very clearly in hour room. So after getting up after a very sleepless night, I wanted to take a shower at about 9 am. ...not a drop of hot water for a shower, ice cold water. Very disappointed at this as hot water is a basic nessecity for a hotel, especially for one that's supposedly 4 star. Won't be returning

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I booked the Dawson due to its proximity to The Shelbourne Hotel where I was attending a work event. I hadn't seen any reviews but liked the look of the Hotel. On arrival I was upgraded to A junior Suite which immediately had me on a winner. The staff were just lovely, all of them. I got a lovely welcome and the surroundings were just so peaceful despite being in Dublin city centre. My Room was just lovely, clean and well equipped. Once I got up the following day I headed down for breakfast which was served until 10.30 which was great. Again the staff were just lovely, very accommodating and pleasant. There was a great breakfast selection and bar the fruit and meats there was a menu and everything cooked fresh. It was again very clean and extremely efficient. Although I was going out for the day and had checked out I was able to leave my bags in the hotel and pick them up later. A gent from reception insisted on carrying them out for me even though they were light and overall left me with a feeling that my business was appreciated even though I was only there for the one night and on single occupancy. I was very impressed and my husband and I will be returning to the Hotel in August and I look forward to our return visit. Well done to all

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank marhughes32
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Booked this hotel - and was totally overwhelmed when I checked in.

Paid €198 for a two night stay in December - reasonable enough price, considering the location and the time of year.

The room I got was absolutely superb. Big, spacious and very elegant! Really wowed me.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CorkGirl_1982
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed here this year and hopefully it won't be too long before we're back. The rooms have a quaint old world charm that have a home away from home feel yet purvey a touch of elegance that make you want to relax. Being a city centre hotel it's close to all amenities so it makes a fantastic base for exploring Dublin. We have our favourite restaurants close by so I can't comment on the food. The hotel is quite at night as it is not appealing to a rowdy clientele. In conclusion we enjoy staying here and will do so again.

• Stayed: June 2014