“Lovely!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #111 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

Had to visit Dublin with work - but partner came along too - and we had a day to selves at end of trip - so trip was mixture of busienss and pleasure. Really liked this hotel. It was expensive to be honest- but as work were paying for my first night - we only had to pay for 2nd.
The location is just super - you honeslty couldn't ask for better. Previous visits to Dublin we visited temple bar a lot - but this hotel taught us how to enjoy true dublin. All the surrounding streets are filled with shops, cafes, delis, restaurants, bookshops. They then lead onto either St Stephens Green - or Graton Street - so everything is on your doorstep. On Saturday we walked to Temple Bar - and quickly remembered how touristy it is - and walked swiflty back to our hotel area to spend the afternoon around there - much nicer area. It was literally 'buzzing' with life (in a nice way!) - I coudl spoends days and days potterign around!
Dont; understand some of the bad reviews - our room was spotless and v luxurious. Big room. Furniture not what used to in hotel - very different style - but that made it nicer! Bathroom was fab - double doors leading onto 'his and hers' sinks. Very quiet at night and we slept brilliantly.
Service was brilliant. We needed to leave bags with them on first morning and last afetrnoon. They were quick, helpful and generally lovely to deal with.
If we were heading back to Dublin - I'd love to stay here again - the only thing holding me back would be the cost (Friday night Was €130 room only).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BelfastAlison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

I cannot speak highly enough about La Stampa - they made the most important night of our lives absolutely fantastic. My new wife and I held our wedding at La Stampa in June 2010, which involved twenty of my family members staying at the hotel for several days, and a 100 person meal at the Hotel's restaurant, which was called the Balzac at the time.

Notwithstanding that the food and service were absolutely first class, and the restaurant manager, Laurent, a picture of efficiency and easygoing charm, my entire family were thrilled with the service they recieved from the hotel. All of the rooms were very comfortable, functional, and where we needed a little extra help (with, for example, elderly relatives), the hotel staff could not have been more friendly. Indeed, the whole hotel staff were very excited about having a wedding there, and were on hand to help with the inevitable last-minute stuff.

Other reviews on this page will tell you about the fantastic location, lovely rooms (especially the Morocccan Suite, which is incredible), all of which are true, but for us, it was the quality and charm of the Service that really ensured our wedding went off without a hitch. I'd recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank sach_23
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

Stayed 2 nights at La Stampa on a mixture of business and pleasure. Firstly this is a GREAT location. Hotel is on Dawson Street and is only steps away from some great restaurants . . . Marco Pierre Whites steakhouse is doors away and the excellent One Pico is on an adjacent street. Plenty of bars too . . . of all types. If you go out of the rear of the hotel and turn right you will see Kehoes, a great traditional Irish pub, outside the front door Cafe La Seine. Rooms are well a tiny bit disappointing I must admit. Classic rooms all look out over the back of the hotel so don't expect a view of any sort except rooftops. Room was very clean but just not the type of decor I would usually go for (a bit too boho for me - hated the curtains), But beds were comfortable and air conditioning unit was great as it had a quiet setting which didn't could not be heard!!! I usually hate air con as it keeps me awake but this did not! Free internet in all rooms was good bonus. Bathroom was lovely with good shower and excellent his and hers sinks, good towels and toiletries too. I ordered breakfast in my room on both mornings. First morning it was late and I had to ring down. When it did arrive it was a good fry with everything I would have expected as well as a complimentary newspaper. 2nd morning it arrived but had a few things missing so had to be chased up. Would I recommend to a friend . . . hard to say cause the location is almost unbeatable in my opinion so therefore I ticked yes. If you get it at the right price then it's worth it . . . Just don't pay too much I paid 120 Euro per room per night inc breakfast from the hotels own website and thought it was enough.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank SpiritofKillaloe
limerick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

I was a little apprehensive about our stay here given some of the reviews I had read on this site. However, I need not have been. I thought the room was charming and was clean and had everything we needed, including air conditioning as it was really, really hot when we were there (21st& 22nd May).
We had dinner in Balzac on the Friday and the food was very good and they do a table d'hote menu for 25euro per person. I also had a massage in the spa on the Saturday and that was fantastic,
There are a couple of things that could improve the hotel. The carpets could do with a bit of a lift (not filthy or anything, just need a bit of freshening) and the first night there was a tear in the duvet cover, though this was changed the following day. The corridors could do with a paint.
Overall though it was really good value, we booked and paid in advance so we got a deal of 130euro per night. We stayed in Jury's Inn in Christchurch not too long ago and paid 120 euro per night and there is no comparision whatsoever. I would certainly stay in La Stampa again.
Just one more tip, we weren't sure what to do about our car and my husband called the hotel a few days before we left. They put us in touch with Setanta Car Park nearby (very short walk-trust me I was seven and a half months pregnant when we were there!) and if you have your receipt from the hotel and go to the booth when you are leaving it is much cheaper. It was 25 euro for us for two nights (should have been 60)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kodoc
Dundalk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

Very disappointed with our stay in this hotel. The room itself was charming, but this cannot be said about the staff. There was a difference in price quoted and price charged for the room. We waited two hours for the manager, who eventually did not turn up. I found this the height of bad manners.We were left to deal with the receptionist as an intermediary,who i found quite rude. It is not that big of a problem that should have taken so long to resolve but it was not resolved. I eventually got a phone call a couple of days later from our elusive manager. Not to apologise, but to tell me that he felt it was a "fair" price that was charged. He told me that the price i had was too low, and was never charged by the hotel.Unfortunately he was not able to answer me when i pointed out that it was the same price the hotel had on its website for the coming weekend. My advice to you all is to go to a hotel where they would like you to return. One when you leave, you leave it relaxed. Not one where you feel you have been ripped off and then insulted by second- rate staff.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DundalkTravel1
lastampa, Guest Relations Manager at The Dawson Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2010
The duty manager talked to the guest the day they checked out (Saturday) about the issues they had with the room rate. The guest said that he booked online on a third party website as the rate was lower than on other websites. The duty manager explained that the quoted online rate was exclusive of sales tax and produced the fax confirmation that the hotel received for the same reservation stating the room rate, the vat amount and the balance payable.
The guest said he did not bring his confirmation with him and said he was not happy with this, therefore he was promised that the hotel manger would contact him.
On Monday, after researching the situation, the hotel manager phoned and explained again to the guest that on that particular third party website it was clearly stated, below the room rate that tax will apply, also this was stated in bold letters in the name of the promotional rate online and on the printed confirmation which the guest received and faxed to the hotel. On the next step in the online booking process the total amount payable at the hotel was also clearly shown.
The hotel manager said that the total room rate (including VAT) would be the same amount or lower paid by guests for that day, regardless of which website the booked, which is only fair. Like any other hotel, nowadays, we do not have a fixed daily rate and we are adjusting our online room rates, continuously. If a lower rate was shown for the next weekend the same would have also been shown on the third party website less tax. We did explain all this to the guest.
We would be happy to speak with the guest further

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Northford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

Beautiful hotel. Posh - comfortable. Excellent soaps, linens, etc. Great location!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank cherylsmith630
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed in this hotel last year in December.We were in town to see a show and decided to spend that night in the city.
This was my first stay at this La Stampa and it was pleasant surprise. We managed to check in early as I had booked spa treatments early in the day. Staff was very accommodating and could not have been friendlier.Room was nice and clean with large comfortable bed. Dinner in hotel was lovely and the breakfast was great.
The location can’t be beaten and having stayed at some of the better known (and more expensive) 5 star hotel s in that city centre area, I think this one beats them all for service and value.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple