“"The chef said its fine"”
Review of Brownes Brasserie

Brownes Brasserie
Ranked #1,141 of 2,640 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Went for Sunday evening dinner with my partner tonight in Brownes Brasserie. Waitress and French Waiter very friendly. Ordered French Onion soup and Chicken Liver Pate for starters. The Soup was ok, the pate tasted v poor served with a very odd sauce and the accompanying 'brioche' was just plain toast. Main course was Supreme de poulet (very plain with an in-describable sauce served with three triangles of turnip that also tasted incredibly strange. We had been told there was plenty of vegetables with the main course!) , and Baked black cod with pearl barley and cauliflower risotto and bacon foam. This was over cooked very dried fish and barely cooked pearl barely that was not in any form a risotto. The whole dish was tasteless). I sent the cod back and asked for some greens and a bowl of champ that was on the menu. 20 minutes later they arrived. Champ was almost grey, and very watery - obvious that the potatoes had been soaking in water for some time prior to being cooked. I ate greens and sent champ back and asked for the bill. 20 minutes later the bill arrived with everything on it. I asked the waitress to explain. She went away and came back and said that the chef and manager said that the cod dish was fine and there was nothing wrong with it and we had to pay. Up to then I was not that bothered but this I found ridiculous! I said I would not be paying for something that I sent back and was tasteless, that such a response was appalling and embarrassing and asked to speak to the manager. The poor waitress came back with a new bill with items removed. (It seems the 'manager' was working from another venue on the night and not actually on the premises). Appalling way to treat customers. Will not be back and as a local the Village is crying out for some decent restaurants like Dunne & Crezenci's which is great, who know how to cook and treat their customers.

2  Thank DeclanH21
There are newer reviews for Brownes Brasserie

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Brownes is really nice. Near the sea for a walk and near the green. The food is lovely especially the bar chips they are so thin and crispy .

Reviewed 10 December 2013

The Brownes cafe (opposite the Brasserie) has recently opened an Italian restaurant serving in the evening. I ended up there with my parents and my partner by accident, when our initial place of choice for dinner turned out to be closed on Sundays. But we were not disappointed! Since my mother's family comes from Italy, I was a bit unsure about going to an Italian place, but the food was absolutely excellent and my "mamma" highly approved ! It was really reasonably priced as well: we got wine and prosecco as we were celebrating a graduation, and the prosecco was actually cheap compared to the price you would pay for such wine in a restaurant in town. We also had dessert, which again, turned out to be excellent. The service was quick and the staff friendly. Finally, the restaurant room itself is located into an old art gallery, something which results in a very nice atmosphere. I recommend this place to all Italian food lovers!

1  Thank Alex_J0nes
Reviewed 30 November 2013

IMPORTANT NOTE - There are TWO Brownes; one is a brasserie located in between Sandymount Clinic and Itsa, the other is a café -resto located right across the little park. The Brasserie is more for expensive and more formal occasions or business dinners. The menu there is French-ish, nice balance of meat, fish and pasta. The café has been around for much longer and does the best cooked breakfast / brunch in Sandymount. Expect long queues on weekends. The café does remain open for evening meals but menu and ambiance is different.

1  Thank A G
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Four of dined in Browne's on Friday 15 November 2013. It has a very local client base and you always see neighbours and friends at the adjoining tables. Good value €20.00 menu/ plus supplement for several of the starters and main courses. Good wine selection and service friendly . Good choice when you want a local restaurant and don't want to travel into town.