“Nice, but not great”

Brownes Brasserie
Ranked #1,047 of 2,543 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin
“Nice, but not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

This spot has received a string of bad reviews, so I wanted to add something positive. I had brunch here, yesterday, and the four of us were pleasantly surprised. The menu offers all sorts of lunch, brunch, salad options, as well as the daily specials. Juice is freshly squeezed, gluten-free bread is available and also soya milk. So, that's a lot better than many places. We had a booth, which made for a quiet meal -great- and the place was full by the time we left. The staff were pleasant, although not especially friendly - they seem a little glum, and maybe that has something to do with recent reviews. We felt brunch at Brownes coffee shop (went there on Friday) was better - more of a buzz and the food marginally better/tastier. But the Brasserie is a quieter, more of a low-key experience.

• Visited May 2014

• Polish first
Stepaside, Ireland
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Went to the brasserie for brunch this morning an I was very disappointed. I Ordered eggs benedict, when it arrived the eggs were very small an completely hard and rubbery, it also came with no hollandaise sauce and when I asked for it the waitress didnt understand what I asked for and we had to ask another waitress. My boyfriend ordered the burger. The menu states the burger comes with all the trimmings, when he asked what came on it the waitress didnt know. If you have a vague menu your staff should know what comes with it. He then asked if he could have cheese and bacon on it she said yes. The burger arrived with lettuce and tomato and cooked medium rare with no bacon or cheese as asked when ordering. If a burger is served so pink they should warn customers as its not everybodys prefernece. Overall the food was very bad and service was let down by 1 waitress.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Laura D
“Terrible restaurant ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Went for a dinner on Monday night, food was awful - really really poor. I had to put ketchup on my sea trout to mask the awful taste. No veg with the dish. There was some sort of foam served on the food which looked like the suds from washing up. I'm not joking

3 Thank LouiseDublin8888
“Impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I visited on a Thursday night. We had Scallops and Mussels to start and Beef Bourginon and Pork Belly for mains. The starter main combo was only €20 per head with a 3 euro supplement, brilliant value and generous portions.

The food was beautiful and we left with full bellies! I can safely say I would have eaten any if the choices on the menu. It is really well chosen.

The service was attentive but not too much. I love the booths. I will definitely be back again.

• Visited February 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“"The chef said its fine"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Went for Sunday evening dinner with my partner tonight in Brownes Brasserie. Waitress and French Waiter very friendly. Ordered French Onion soup and Chicken Liver Pate for starters. The Soup was ok, the pate tasted v poor served with a very odd sauce and the accompanying 'brioche' was just plain toast. Main course was Supreme de poulet (very plain with an in-describable sauce served with three triangles of turnip that also tasted incredibly strange. We had been told there was plenty of vegetables with the main course!) , and Baked black cod with pearl barley and cauliflower risotto and bacon foam. This was over cooked very dried fish and barely cooked pearl barely that was not in any form a risotto. The whole dish was tasteless). I sent the cod back and asked for some greens and a bowl of champ that was on the menu. 20 minutes later they arrived. Champ was almost grey, and very watery - obvious that the potatoes had been soaking in water for some time prior to being cooked. I ate greens and sent champ back and asked for the bill. 20 minutes later the bill arrived with everything on it. I asked the waitress to explain. She went away and came back and said that the chef and manager said that the cod dish was fine and there was nothing wrong with it and we had to pay. Up to then I was not that bothered but this I found ridiculous! I said I would not be paying for something that I sent back and was tasteless, that such a response was appalling and embarrassing and asked to speak to the manager. The poor waitress came back with a new bill with items removed. (It seems the 'manager' was working from another venue on the night and not actually on the premises). Appalling way to treat customers. Will not be back and as a local the Village is crying out for some decent restaurants like Dunne & Crezenci's which is great, who know how to cook and treat their customers.

• Visited February 2014