“Very Pleasant”

Soulful Bistro
Price range: US$2 - US$22
Cuisines: Irish, Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on the V in the road where Prussia St, Aughrim St. And Manor Street meet. Serving Healthy Home Cooked Irish food from 9am each day of the week (except Tuesdays). Brunch is served at the weekends and on Bank Holiday Mondays. Early Bird is available 6 days from 4pm-7pm. Children most welcome, dogs allowed if they're well behaved. Elderly and wonderful people all catered for along with Vegans, Coeliac, Vegetarian and Happy People
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Myself & my wife to Soulful last Friday evening for dinner. Lovely decor with some nice sayings painted onto the walls. The restaurant is small but cosy as it filled up quite quickly. Two starters- Mackerel in oats with roasted beetroot and steamed ham with peas served with pear and apple chutney. Both were delicious. Two mains of Lamb shank with whole baby carrots, green beans and creamed potatoes and Healthy fish & chips. The lamb fell off the bone and was fantastic and the veg were perfectly cooked. My wifes fish & chips were beautiful and the fish was moist while the chips were nicely seasoned. We decided that we had room for desserts and opted for Chocolate brownie in raspberry soup and bread & butter pudding. The brownie was the lightest I have ever tasted and melted in the mouth. The bread & butter pudding was really good. Service was excellent and very attentive without being overbearing. The owner Moira explained everything to us and with a bottle of French wine the total cost was €77. We both agreed that we would return before too long.

1  Thank PJB47

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Visited this bistro on a Sunday lunchtime prior to going to the Lighthouse cinema after reading a good review in the Irish Times. My husband had eggs benedict which were nicely cooked but hardly any hollandaise and nothing special. I had the gluten free lemon cake and was speechless when it arrived as I have never seen such a thin slice. I dont know how they cut it as It was hard to see under a ball of icecream and very poor value at over €5. Will not be back.

3  Thank WilsonsDublin
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A delightful Saturday morning and another chance to sample breakfast in a local restaurant. The orange juice, certainly fresh and squeezed to order by a machine on the counter. A quick glace around what other tables where eating and the sight of leftover white sausages on breakfast plates ensured I wasn’t having the full Irish. I opted for soup and a sandwich. The soup, certainly homemade and delicious was cold. Mostly caused by the large could soup plate it was served in. It was changed and after ten minutes a warm bowl and more cold soup arrived.
The toasted sandwiches of ham hock and Dubliner cheese sounded nice, it wasn’t. The off the shelf slice plan was too lightly toasted to beg the question was it placed under the grill at all. The shredded ham hock was dry and tasteless and certainly lacked any soul. It wasn’t worth the trouble of eating it. The restaurant was lucky that I was so hungry I did eat it but I certainly wasn’t satisfied. The substance of this restaurant is in the idea of the food rather than the food itself. The server was delightful and most apologitic but had no understanding that good food is about taste and the customer has a ligitimate expectation that it will be as described on the menu, it wasn’t. The discussion at the table was about the possibility of a professional chef in the kitchen; the consensus was that there wasn’t. Unfortunately another restaurant on that road to oblivion.

3  Thank Eat4pleasure
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Having read c cleary review in the irish times we ventured to this restaurant on a Saturday night prior to going to the cinema all I can say c cleary should be ashamed of herself this restaurant is awfull the shared starter platter consisted of soggy battered cauliflower tasteless beetroot oil laden inedible pesto and unrecognisable hummus and half baked dough the main course beef was smothered in cheap gravy with raw onion the burger bap was soggy and the chips were limp overall a dreadful experience

5  Thank dub53
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I live nearby but had never been to Soulful and when meeting a friend for dinner, we decided to give it a try. It was overall a very pleasant experience. We did not have a reservation as it was a spur of the moment decision to eat there but even though the restaurant was busy that Friday evening, we were offered a table. We each had the falafel burgers with sweet potato chips - which were nice although for me, the dish could have done with either more seasoning or a dip as it was good but a little bland. For desert, my friend had the bread and butter pudding and this was delicious. The wine list is good and there is plenty of choice by the glass. The service was top class - fast, friendly and pleasant. Well worth a visit...